How to thank an employee

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Just say you generally do not like people but enjoyed her working for you  (everyone will laugh because they will know at least the first part is true)

Also say how much you appreciated how much work she did and how it made your job easier, and give a small example(but only if it is true)

Do not try to be funny..., it will come off as awkward.

Do this Wheels 

Zephyr's advice is very good.    If there are legitimate examples, you may want to give one short example about a good work thing she did (completing a tricky project, some innovation she developed, proactive things she did for work, etc.)  and one that is more personal or highlights something good about her and not just what works she's done (such as how she always helps a coworker, her ability to handle stress with a good demeanor, her ability to motivate others etc.).

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It went very well.  I thanked her, gave some general examples, some specific, and made people laugh. 

I gave her a lululemon gift card,  she really appreciated it. 

Plus a bonus, I paid so I get points.

Is she going to get some of those see through yoga pants?

You sound like a great manager SW. 

It sounds like you struggle with social issues but you internalize it well enough to ask for guidance, which is way better than some of the managers I have had in the past. I have hade some real sociopaths as managers in the past (naturally I got along well with them).  

Good job man. 

Shu Fang 

• Heart 4