2019 NHL Playoffs Thread

Prophet Zacharia

I ended up drawing last in our playoff draft, so as 18th pick in the first round decided to gamble with San Jose.  I loaded up throughout the draft and if they make the 3rd round I will make money

The only way Pens get out of the first round is if Murray gets hot, and they outshot NY last night but lost.  Not a good sign

My picks are

Pens 

Capitals

Tampa

Boston

San Jose

Winnipeg

Calgary

Nashville

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

The only way Pens get out of the first round is if Murray gets hot, and they outshot NY last night but lost.  Not a good sign

A couple of stupid turnovers by Pens defensemen did them in. I’ll give the Islanders credit, they had much more pressure in their offensive zone than expected, and they forced bad choices to be made, often.  Letang on the game winner was a SMH ?‍♂️ moment, though.

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But no one is melting down more on night one than the Tampa fan base, unaccustomed to losing, at all, this season.

Mostly band-wagoners 

Was last nights loss disappointing? Yes. Unexpected? No.

Few things from someone who's watched them for years, they are a terrific team to face when they've not played in a bit. Season ended Saturday so I was even surprised we got out early in the first period with the lead. Secondly we've really not been paying too much attention to our play these last few weeks. When you have a 128 pts in a season it's easy to discount the first round and be looking too far ahead. 

I really think those were the dominating reasons to our loss last night. Also got to give props to Blue Jackets for coming hungry after the first. They should be a team to beat. They got the wildcard and no one wants a first round loss. But by Friday expect the Bolts to have bounced back hard. They do learn from their mistakes. Been this way all season.

Just now, Shu Fang said:

The BJs won. I texted Hillary.   

He hasn't replied back. I assume he's hung over from a Coors hangover. 

Shu Fang 

You don't assume he stopped paying for his phone and the number isn't his anymore?  That would be my FIRST assumption.

Toronto takes game one from Boston. First time in 16 years the Leafs have won the opening game in the playoffs, and to do it against the Bruins is a terrific start. Boston has had the Leaf's number for years.

Wish I could find a picture on line of the suit Don Cherry was wearing on Coaches Corner. He keeps taking outrageous to new levels.

EDIT: 

I finally made contact with The Hillary.  

He demands I add 'The' to his name now. 

He's not only drunk on PBR, he's drunk on power. 

Beware folks, the BJs are taking over the world with furious fire and brimstone type shit. It's fucking insane. 

The PENS are playing weak.  This makes me feel sad feelings. 

Shu Fang 

• Confused 1

On 4/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, Shu Fang said:

I finally made contact with The Hillary.  

He demands I add 'The' to his name now. 

He's not only drunk on PBR, he's drunk on power. 

Beware folks, the BJs are taking over the world with furious fire and brimstone type shit. It's fucking insane. 

The PENS are playing weak.  This makes me feel sad feelings. 

Shu Fang 

Pens days are numbered. 3 Cups for the Crosby/Malkin era may be all we can expect from any career any more. I would like Crosby to get a point to pass Yzerman for 10th all-time playoff scoring, but good on the NYI for playing with pressure to make elimination likely.

i’d feel Worse if I were a TBL fan without the ultimate success in the Stamkos era. And i’ll Enjoy seeing Trotz vs. the Caps.

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Pens days are numbered. 3 Cups for the Crosby/Malkin era may be all we can expect from any career any more. I would like Crosby to get a point to pass Yzerman for 10th all-time playoff scoring, but good on the NYI for playing with pressure to make elimination likely.

i’d feel Worse if I were a TBL fan without the ultimate success in the Stamkos era. And i’ll Enjoy seeing Trotz vs. the Caps.

Yea, the PENS are pretty much old and done.  It was a great run.  And perhaps, I'll get to go to some games next few seasons.

I'm happy for the BJs but not the BJ fans, if that makes sense.  I have one loser friend from back home, not The Hillary, who keeps texting me about how awesome the BJs are and how the PENS suck.  He also seems keenly interested in Crosby's sexual orientation.

But yea, Boston sucks.

Shu Fang

So far in round one, this has been a weird and unexpected playoffs so far.  It just shows how much parity is in the league when in both the east and the west the #1 is being beat up by the #8

My playoff pool draft is in tatters.   I am now hoping for last place as whoever finishes last gets their $25 back  

10 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And the Bolts are gone. I thought they wouldn’t survive the East, but didn’t think they’d be swept in Round 1!

You and everyone in Tampa. 

Amazing season, another terrible playoff. Something is profoundly broken in our locker room to go from a dominating season to barely showing up to play pee wee hockey. Cooper showed no want to adapt to CBJ, our defense no showed and the offense just assumed they could sleep walk to goals. Embarrassing. 

23 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

You and everyone in Tampa. 

Amazing season, another terrible playoff. Something is profoundly broken in our locker room to go from a dominating season to barely showing up to play pee wee hockey. Cooper showed no want to adapt to CBJ, our defense no showed and the offense just assumed they could sleep walk to goals. Embarrassing. 

Didn't Tampa have the highest points for this season, of any team ever?  I was afraid for the Bruins to play them, but that's looking a little shaky now if they can get past Toronto.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Didn't Tampa have the highest points for this season, of any team ever?  I was afraid for the Bruins to play them, but that's looking a little shaky now if they can get past Toronto.

I think the Bruins are the best chance to knock off the Caps in the East.  Tampa folding has sort of opened up the east.  I am going to miss a Caps/Pens series this Spring

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Pens in 9?

Uh, no. I frankly don’t know if the Pens could beat any playoff team this post season based on their recent play. But that was also influenced by a good Islanders team, and I think the Islanders could make some more noise before they are through. Trotz’s revenge against Washington.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Uh, no. I frankly don’t know if the Pens could beat any playoff team this post season based on their recent play. But that was also influenced by a good Islanders team, and I think the Islanders could make some more noise before they are through. Trotz’s revenge against Washington.

I only saw a bit of the Pens/Isles, but they did handle the Pens, who even in off years tended to compete in the playoffs

15 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Nashville has them right where they want them, losing 4-0 to start the 2nd period.

Damn, the wife was watching some show where a hot lady is involved in politics.    I missed all the scoring.  Watched the third period.  go stars.

St. Louis holding tough with Winnipeg, series tied at 2.

Hurricanes doing similar with the Capitals, I thought the Caps would have an easier time of things. Islanders just home and cooled out as the Caps/Canes make snuff films.

Colorado needs one win to get past the #1 seed out West. Nashville hopes to come back after a beat-down by Dallas. And the Sharks still have life, down 3-2 now. And we all knew Boston/Toronto would go 7 games.

41 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Stars win in Nashville to take a 3-2 series lead, look to close it out in Dallas.  Nashville 0-11 or so on the PP in the series, which is the reason I picked the Stars.

Stars may make them shake hands after all.  They seem to get a bit better each game.  Back to back 5 goal games is impressive.  Go Stars.

Oh, and yeah I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Aaaaand we're back to Beantown for game seven. Exciting hockey!

The 3rd period was exciting today.  The Leafs had the puck most of the time. But failed to capitalize.

It reminded me of the last few playoff series against Boston. I hope they don't continue to remind me. 

The Leafs are lucky to have such a passionate fan base. I just feel bad for their fans. They don't deserve this type of treatment.  The Leafs better win in Boston.  

Shu Fang 

• Heart 1