2019 NHL Playoffs Thread

Prophet Zacharia

9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

The Bruins killed it first period, fell apart in the second and the start of the third, then did OK the rest of the third and OT.

Columbus did not play like a team that swept the best team in the league.  This usually makes me nervous that a good team reviews their mistakes and come roaring back.  We'll see.

9 days off between games is tough to get back into the pace and intensity of real game play, particularly playoff intensity. That CBJ were able to find their legs by the second period and take it to OT is a good omen for a competitive series.

In the Dallas game, on the Blues game winnnig goal, when Maroon took his hand off his stick and shoved Lindell to the ice,which allowed him to get open and score the goa, was that  a penalty or interference or just tough play?

I am not a hockey afficiando, so I have no idea.  The announcers seemed to think it might be interference at the time, but I have also read where Esa Lindell has a history of flopping?  Which is right?

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

In the Dallas game, on the Blues game winnnig goal, when Maroon took his hand off his stick and shoved Lindell to the ice,which allowed him to get open and score the goa, was that  a penalty or interference or just tough play?

I am not a hockey afficiando, so I have no idea.  The announcers seemed to think it might be interference at the time, but I have also read where Esa Lindell has a history of flopping?  Which is right?

It was a shove.  Lindell is known for flopping around like a European soccer player so the refs let it go and he flailed trying to draw a penalty.  Diving is not well regarded in hockey circles and what he does is embarrassing.  Maybe he will stay on his feet next time and be in a position to stop a game winning goal

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Lindell

Is he the same guy that rag-dolled each time Bortuzzo cross-checked him and got an embellishment penalty in the same game?

I didn’t see the goal, I went to bed. But all the NHL radio I listened to suggested that Maroon was just too much man on the play, so no penalty indicated.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is he the same guy that rag-dolled each time Bortuzzo cross-checked him and got an embellishment penalty in the same game?

I didn’t see the goal, I went to bed. But all the NHL radio I listened to suggested that Maroon was just too much man on the play, so no penalty indicated.

Same guy

• Awesome 1

I only saw the last five minutes of the game.  I will try to find the slash to see if I can explain it.  Chances are they missed it.  Because of the skating, it is an incredibly fast sport and with big bodies in confined space itbis possible they did not see it.  There are two refs, but one watches the area the puck is, the other watches in front of the net if if their view was blocked....., but let me see if I can find it

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I only saw the last five minutes of the game.  I will try to find the slash to see if I can explain it.  Chances are they missed it.  Because of the skating, it is an incredibly fast sport and with big bodies in confined space itbis possible they did not see it.  There are two refs, but one watches the area the puck is, the other watches in front of the net if if their view was blocked....., but let me see if I can find it

Turns out it was a penalty.  It just was not called right at the time, the refs had to huddle up.  Happened right at the end of the second.  Bishop got hit in the back with the blade of a stick while he was out of goal.  Then at the end of the penalty, Bennington skated down and hit Bishop in the head from behind.  Jamie Benn retaliated and the third started with two Blues and one Star in the box.

Stars played a good game and frustrated the Blues defense, which led to it getting a bit chippy at times.  No love loss at all between these two teams.  Ifs and buts, but if Dallas would not have given away game 3, this series would be over.

11 hours ago, parodybot said:

And why was the slash to Ben Bishop in the back not a penalty

I could have been a penalty.  Maybe even shoukd have been.  There is not a lot of padding there on a goalie, but I promise it does not hurt as mucb as Bishop indicated.

Often there is a lot of 'stick contact' and the refs wont call it unless it affects the play, causes the puck to be mishandled, skater loses stride, breaks a stick, that sort of thing.  The fly by tap from the Blues should have been called (IMO) as but it was not as bad as it looked.  Having said that, as  part time goalie, I woukd have taken a number and let him know I knew who it was the next time he came near my net.  

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

So if I were a betting man, I'd be broke. 

Canes upset the Islanders

Boston unloads on Columbus.

St. Louis and Dallas play game 7 tonight, Avs and SJS do the same thing tomorrow night. I need StL and Colorado wins to break even on the round.

Please bet against the Bruins.

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

St. Louis and Dallas play game 7 tonight, Avs and SJS do the same thing tomorrow night. I need StL and Colorado wins to break even on the round.

My third round is up in the air, I can end up 1 for 4 (if Avs and Stars win) or as high as 3 for 4.

In my hockey pool I picked the Sharks to make it to the third round and drafted a ton of their players.  If they win game seven, with all the upsets in the first round I will be in good shape to win the money.  If they lose, I may be able to limp into third if the next two rounds go low scoring.

I have to hope for Dallas as well, as my next closest guy has loaded up on Blues players.

I think right now, Bruins have to be favs for the cup

51 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Screw You PZ.  I hope you go broke betting against my Stars.

Well not broke, but I hope you lose the StL bet.

50 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So, should they have blown the puck dead when Bishop to the shot to the shoulder and went down?  Not that it would have mattered.  

No.  if the puck had of ended up in the corner where they were battling for it, or out of the zone with no immediate scoring chance it would have been blown dead.  Unless it is catastrophic (i.e. Clint Malarchuck) they will not blow it dead and take away a scoring chance.  If it had of hit him in the head and he was out cold chunk I think they would have, but he was just hurting.

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

No.  if the puck had of ended up in the corner where they were battling for it, or out of the zone with no immediate scoring chance it would have been blown dead.  Unless it is catastrophic (i.e. Clint Malarchuck) they will not blow it dead and take away a scoring chance.  If it had of hit him in the head and he was out cold chunk I think they would have, but he was just hurting.

If it knocked his helmet off, it would have been blown dead. But a stinger to the shoulder? Play on.

• Heart 1