I have never caramelized onions

Randomguy

Don't dice the onions too fine. Cut them in half then in slices bout 1/8 to 1/2" thick. Heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, bout 5 minutes. Turn the heat down a little if they start to brown. Turn heat to low and cover pan. Stir occasionally (every 5 minutes or so). Done in 20 minutes.

• Heart 2

Just now, Old#7 said:

Don't dice the onions too fine. Cut them in half then in slices bout 1/8 to 1/2" thick. Heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, bout 5 minutes. Turn the heat down a little if they start to brown. Turn heat to low and cover pan. Stir occasionally (every 5 minutes or so). Done in 20 minutes.

Yay!   I knew some anti-graper like you would know exactly what to do, thanks!

5 minutes ago, late said:

Chop, put in a bowl with a generous amount of oil or butter and salt. Give it a toss, put it in a very slow oven (less than 300) slower the better, and toss every half hour.

@Duckbag, just to be perfectly clear, when Late says toss every half hour, he is talking about the onions in the oven, not your fun bits. 

• Heart 1

I had an idea for a lazy French onion soup. Get a carton of TJ's organic beef bone broth, one per serving. Do the onions. While that's doing chop up some veggies and simmer them in the bone broth for a couple hours with thyme and bay leaf to make it more brothy.

At this point, you want to add something, wine, cognac, sherry, even vinegar. But not much if it's vinegar.

Pour a crock half full of broth, add some onions, cover the top with pieces of a toasted baguette, and then a lot of gruyere, and put in a 375-400 oven just til the cheese has melted and is just starting to brown.

The wife came in while I was writing this, I'll prob be making it manana. Per order of the management.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn’t ready for this random thread. My brother and I had a huge tiff about caramelizing onions when making soup. I put my onions in raw. He thinks it’s not soup unless they’re caramelized. Right now we’re out of each other’s respective wills due to this Mexican standoff. 

What would AWWC do?

12 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I wasn’t ready for this random thread. My brother and I had a huge tiff about caramelizing onions when making soup. I put my onions in raw. He thinks it’s not soup unless they’re caramelized. Right now we’re out of each other’s respective wills due to this Mexican standoff. 

What would AWWC do?

Your brother is a much better cook.

• Haha 1

Here's French/Asian Fusion... It calls for rapeseed (canola oil), I'd ditch that for a healthier option like olive or coconut. It  also calls for brown miso. Which I've never seen. Any miso would work, I'd use a good white (try Whole Foods, it will be pricey). It calls for Choy Sum. You might be able to find it in an Asian market, baby bok choy should work, if you can find it. Chop and drop  in boiling water for a minute or two, drain. Depends on how soft you prefer, I cook it longer because I want it soft. Instead of sliced chili, I'd add 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp of dried chili flakes (the same stuff you find in pizza joints) when you throw in the onions. That's entirely dealers choice, one possibility that I think would be nice is chili limon. I'd avoid the dark chilis like pasilla. If you want hot, perhaps mince a half a habanero. I'd pass on the chili oil, although this is also pure personal preference.

caramelised onion ramen

3710.jpg?width=1125&quality=45&auto=form

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/06/meera-sodha-recipe-vegan-caramelised-onion-ramen

• Heart 1