supper v. dinner

bikeman564™

When my grandmother was growing up in farm country, they'd have a big meal at noon and then a small supper.  To me, dinner suggests the main meal of the day and supper is a lighter meal.

• Awesome 2

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

When my grandmother was growing up in farm country, they'd have a big meal at noon and then a small supper.  To me, dinner suggests the main meal of the day and supper is a lighter meal.

My grandmother did the same. Dinner was the mid-day meal and supper was in the evening.

i use them interchangeably.

• Heart 1

We always called it supper.  But if someone said "dinner" it was understood as meaning the same thing: the evening meal.

The was an episode of the BBC comedy "Are you being served?" where they argued over the same two words, where Captain Peacock claimed that sophisticated people call it "Dinner" and lower class people call it "Supper."  Most of the rest of the characters disagreed.

• Haha 1

Dinner main meal of day. Supper last meal of day.  (Think of Last Supper). 

So dinner can be supper; but supper cannot be dinner, if dinner is the noon meal and you eat again in the evening. 

Mr Aire often has a washtub full of ice cream for supper while watching Jeopardy. 

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Dinner main meal of day. Supper last meal of day.  (Think of Last Supper). 

So dinner can be supper; but supper cannot be dinner, if dinner is the noon meal and you eat again in the evening. 

Mr Aire often has a washtub full of ice cream for supper while watching Jeopardy. 

You are confusing me, if dinner can be supper, why can't supper be dinner?  

• Haha 1