Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KrAzY

Ain't no wood worker professional

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, KrAzY said:

But I did alright..

I just got finished last night building my new fish tank stand. I decided to go a different route with it then the traditional cannot style. I really hate trying to climb inside while working on pumps or taking apart the skimmer to empty it. 

Enjoy my horrible building skills through these lousy pictures.

The new light and crushed coral substrate should be here in a couple days. Got a better deal online then at the over priced store.

IMG_20190408_175451713.thumb.jpg.9b43b2c77e099612a2f3b7028eaabe40.jpg

IMG_20190409_202125620.thumb.jpg.8069b92a3d8295b373342b18479a53c3.jpg

IMG_20190412_145805844.thumb.jpg.0a5a7e3b15e2e43a38e46ee098bc45a9.jpg

IMG_20190412_145939427.thumb.jpg.83b23b707cf88b3307268ea2d0adffeb.jpg

 

I'm just going to sit back and watch the electrical people shit themselves over my Frankenstein electrical box.. so far that box ran two tanks for over 6 years non stop. I figured I will keep using it for this tank also...

Yup.. no GFCI and it's near water..... The wall outlet is going to be a GFCI in the next couple days.

How much more stuff do you have to plug in? Wouldn’t a normal power strip work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drilled my tanks & put false corners in with black plexiglass. All the maintenance items were under the tank.

I also painted the back and any unexposed sides black to hide the algae. 

I ran my salinity a little below the norm, it seemed to help with parasites. 

In the big tank, I put two big submergable pumps in at the back corners. I rigged up a timed relay that alternated running them to simulate the mild turbulence in a reef. 

The big tank had Black Beauty blasting media instead of sand or crushed coral. It looked really cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

How much more stuff do you have to plug in? Wouldn’t a normal power strip work?

I would need a couple power strips, and just random wires running all over is not a nice thing to deal with. With this set up I can J hook the wires incase of a water leak the water will stop at the J instead of getting to the power strip. 

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

I drilled my tanks & put false corners in with black plexiglass. All the maintenance items were under the tank.

I also painted the back and any unexposed sides black to hide the algae. 

I ran my salinity a little below the norm, it seemed to help with parasites. 

In the big tank, I put two big submergable pumps in at the back corners. I rigged up a timed relay that alternated running them to simulate the mild turbulence in a reef. 

The big tank had Black Beauty blasting media instead of sand or crushed coral. It looked really cool. 

I drilled about two inches in and down on both sides.  It is a 29gal tank with a 7 gal sump. I am not going to run any media in this tank. I am going to use the skimmer for removing anything unwanted in the tank.. funny thing is I had to install a check valve in the return line because I am running a mag 7 pump.. most over flow I need is 300gal an hour and this will put out roughly 700 gal an hour.. I don't want to make to many waves..lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed your outlet stack. I chuckled as my eyes got big. Ha!!! 

Yup, way too involved for me. But you have fun!! And make sure to keep us updated with pics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

14 plugs into a 20 amp seems a lot extreme.

Lots of small individual items. each plug probably sees well under an amp, and at least some of them are on a timer. Might be a good idea to find some kind of cover for it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Further said:

Lots of small individual items. each plug probably sees well under an amp, and at least some of them are on a timer. Might be a good idea to find some kind of cover for it...

True, but he also runs a motor and heater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

True, but he also runs a motor and heater

Pump and skimmer are the most amperage.. each running at around 150 watts or less each.. 

 

14 hours ago, Airehead said:

Are you sure this is code?  I think @tybeegb,s permit lady is going to stop by. 

I never do anything to code.. it's all or nothing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Further said:

I've seen sketchier wiring from the kids they hire as electricians at work. And they are supposedly at the top of their class at the tech school we hire from....

Oh don't get me wrong.. I'm known for really sketchy shit, but I will be careful in what it do around my house and fish tanks. 

All bets are off anywhere else! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get sectional wall plates to suit your installation.

https://www.hardwareandtools.com/electrical-and-lighting/switch-plates-and-wall-plates/sectional-snap-together-switch-plates-white/

Here is a type of device that will improve safety in a very large way. It is something you plug into a receptacle and it includes overload and gfci protection. You can get smaller devices if you want. Spas use a device similar to below.

035874340525.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Further said:

I've seen sketchier wiring from the kids they hire as electricians at work. And they are supposedly at the top of their class at the tech school we hire from....

Does it look something like this 20190329_135231.thumb.jpg.bad2b4061fee0fabd7717dfaedd3e6c0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BR46 said:

Does it look something like this 20190329_135231.thumb.jpg.bad2b4061fee0fabd7717dfaedd3e6c0.jpg

Worse.

For some reason there are a lot of hard wired cords in one area, the hot end wired in and the connector end loose. One of the geniuses wired them backwards, male hot, female dead. So they had 240 volt plug prongs just waiting to bite somebody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Further said:

Worse.

For some reason there are a lot of hard wired cords in one area, the hot end wired in and the connector end loose. One of the geniuses wired them backwards, male hot, female dead. So they had 240 volt plug prongs just waiting to bite somebody.

Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, donkpow said:

You can get sectional wall plates to suit your installation.

https://www.hardwareandtools.com/electrical-and-lighting/switch-plates-and-wall-plates/sectional-snap-together-switch-plates-white/

Here is a type of device that will improve safety in a very large way. It is something you plug into a receptacle and it includes overload and gfci protection. You can get smaller devices if you want. Spas use a device similar to below.

035874340525.jpg

I'm not seeing the fun at all with having to buy those.. where is the fire hazard? Where is the fun of being shocked? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the forge shop almost everything was 440 volts. Guardian angel probably has a lot of singed feathers. Graphite on everything and trying to plug in your 440 volt conveyor makes a Big Bang and a bright flash. Sometimes it knocks out most of the power to the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...