Ain't no wood worker professional

KrAzY

9 hours ago, KrAzY said:

But I did alright..

I just got finished last night building my new fish tank stand. I decided to go a different route with it then the traditional cannot style. I really hate trying to climb inside while working on pumps or taking apart the skimmer to empty it. 

Enjoy my horrible building skills through these lousy pictures.

The new light and crushed coral substrate should be here in a couple days. Got a better deal online then at the over priced store.

IMG_20190408_175451713.thumb.jpg.9b43b2c77e099612a2f3b7028eaabe40.jpg

IMG_20190409_202125620.thumb.jpg.8069b92a3d8295b373342b18479a53c3.jpg

IMG_20190412_145805844.thumb.jpg.0a5a7e3b15e2e43a38e46ee098bc45a9.jpg

IMG_20190412_145939427.thumb.jpg.83b23b707cf88b3307268ea2d0adffeb.jpg

I'm just going to sit back and watch the electrical people shit themselves over my Frankenstein electrical box.. so far that box ran two tanks for over 6 years non stop. I figured I will keep using it for this tank also...

Yup.. no GFCI and it's near water..... The wall outlet is going to be a GFCI in the next couple days.

How much more stuff do you have to plug in? Wouldn’t a normal power strip work?

I drilled my tanks & put false corners in with black plexiglass. All the maintenance items were under the tank.

I also painted the back and any unexposed sides black to hide the algae. 

I ran my salinity a little below the norm, it seemed to help with parasites. 

In the big tank, I put two big submergable pumps in at the back corners. I rigged up a timed relay that alternated running them to simulate the mild turbulence in a reef. 

The big tank had Black Beauty blasting media instead of sand or crushed coral. It looked really cool. 

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

How much more stuff do you have to plug in? Wouldn’t a normal power strip work?

I would need a couple power strips, and just random wires running all over is not a nice thing to deal with. With this set up I can J hook the wires incase of a water leak the water will stop at the J instead of getting to the power strip. 

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

I drilled my tanks & put false corners in with black plexiglass. All the maintenance items were under the tank.

I also painted the back and any unexposed sides black to hide the algae. 

I ran my salinity a little below the norm, it seemed to help with parasites. 

In the big tank, I put two big submergable pumps in at the back corners. I rigged up a timed relay that alternated running them to simulate the mild turbulence in a reef. 

The big tank had Black Beauty blasting media instead of sand or crushed coral. It looked really cool. 

I drilled about two inches in and down on both sides.  It is a 29gal tank with a 7 gal sump. I am not going to run any media in this tank. I am going to use the skimmer for removing anything unwanted in the tank.. funny thing is I had to install a check valve in the return line because I am running a mag 7 pump.. most over flow I need is 300gal an hour and this will put out roughly 700 gal an hour.. I don't want to make to many waves..lol

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

True, but he also runs a motor and heater

Pump and skimmer are the most amperage.. each running at around 150 watts or less each.. 

14 hours ago, Airehead said:

Are you sure this is code?  I think @tybeegb,s permit lady is going to stop by. 

I never do anything to code.. it's all or nothing!

• Heart 3

10 hours ago, Further said:

I've seen sketchier wiring from the kids they hire as electricians at work. And they are supposedly at the top of their class at the tech school we hire from....

Oh don't get me wrong.. I'm known for really sketchy shit, but I will be careful in what it do around my house and fish tanks. 

All bets are off anywhere else! 

You can get sectional wall plates to suit your installation.

https://www.hardwareandtools.com/electrical-and-lighting/switch-plates-and-wall-plates/sectional-snap-together-switch-plates-white/

Here is a type of device that will improve safety in a very large way. It is something you plug into a receptacle and it includes overload and gfci protection. You can get smaller devices if you want. Spas use a device similar to below.

035874340525.jpg

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Further said:

I've seen sketchier wiring from the kids they hire as electricians at work. And they are supposedly at the top of their class at the tech school we hire from....

Does it look something like this 20190329_135231.thumb.jpg.bad2b4061fee0fabd7717dfaedd3e6c0.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

Does it look something like this 20190329_135231.thumb.jpg.bad2b4061fee0fabd7717dfaedd3e6c0.jpg

Worse.

For some reason there are a lot of hard wired cords in one area, the hot end wired in and the connector end loose. One of the geniuses wired them backwards, male hot, female dead. So they had 240 volt plug prongs just waiting to bite somebody.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Further said:

Worse.

For some reason there are a lot of hard wired cords in one area, the hot end wired in and the connector end loose. One of the geniuses wired them backwards, male hot, female dead. So they had 240 volt plug prongs just waiting to bite somebody.

Not good.

9 hours ago, donkpow said:

You can get sectional wall plates to suit your installation.

https://www.hardwareandtools.com/electrical-and-lighting/switch-plates-and-wall-plates/sectional-snap-together-switch-plates-white/

Here is a type of device that will improve safety in a very large way. It is something you plug into a receptacle and it includes overload and gfci protection. You can get smaller devices if you want. Spas use a device similar to below.

035874340525.jpg

I'm not seeing the fun at all with having to buy those.. where is the fire hazard? Where is the fun of being shocked? 

• Haha 1