Prescription sun glasses

Airehead

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Never knew that was a thing. 

Yeah, me neither.  I could see where you could get "interchangeable prescription lens" by having the lens INSERTS with the non-prescription lens being interchangeable, but never seen where the sunglasses came with interchangeable prescription lens options.

I have had 3 pairs of Rudy Projects sunglasses with inserts. It wouldn't be to difficult to swap out the inserts.

Why do you need to swap them out? I use bifocals. If lens color is an issue, the RP with inserts also had easy to change lenses so that I could pop in a pair of yellow lenses for driving / riding in inclement weather.

I have the Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 XL (XL is just the lens shape). I ordered mine turnkey from https://www.sportrx.com/ because they will grind a progressive lens. You can buy direct from Oakley, but they only have single prescription capabilities. I'm completely happy with them. The total was $412, including the $100 off cyber monday deal.  I'd highly recommend SportRx though. Someone else  on the forum mentioned them as well. I'd like to have a clear lens, but haven't bought them yet.

95208207_IMG_20190413_1137181861.thumb.jpg.50ae3a5e98080bba2bc7e7994dc85f45.jpg

• Heart 2

I have an old - probably from the early 2000's - pair of prescription sunglasses - but as I age, my nearsightedness is going away as my eyes become more far-sighted.  I'm now close to 20:20 for distance vision so I see better with cheap, ordinary sunglasses than the prescription ones for distance vision. Close up, I now need a prescription. I may have tossed those old glasses and will if they turn up in a drawer somewhere.

My eye exam wasn’t great today. Start of a cataract. Slight narrowing of top field but thankfully no sign of glaucoma that my dad has.   He made me promise to always wear sunglasses. I need yellow, and the purplish and then a darker color for shooting. Decot.com is the shooters choice but they look really ugly. 

16 hours ago, Airehead said:

My eye exam wasn’t great today. Start of a cataract. Slight narrowing of top field but thankfully no sign of glaucoma that my dad has.   He made me promise to always wear sunglasses. I need yellow, and the purplish and then a darker color for shooting. Decot.com is the shooters choice but they look really ugly. 

So what style of frame are we looking for? Aviator, wrap, ...?

I always get those lenses that change when you go outside. I used to get Transitions, but the last couple times I got the other brand, I forget the name.

I get pretty much very option they offer. The cost is trivial where your eyes are concerned, esp. for scratch resistant lenses, since I have to use plastic.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/photochromic.htm

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/

• Heart 1

I have Rudy Project Rydon which gives you the option of 31 different lenses, very easy to pop out, ranging in price from $60-80 each. The Rx is a clip attached to the nose bridge behind one of those 31 lens and will never be scratch or damaged as the outer lens protects which after initial warranty has a small lens replacement fee (around $24) for as long as they keep making that frame.  Must be the same lens, can't substitute on replacement. The other nice thing about the Rx inserts is 1) can now do progressive/bifocal on the curved sports design and not limited to single vision, and 2) plastic/nylon frames don't rattle like the original metal did.

Polarized lens don't work for me as the interfere with the LCD screen on  cameras, phones, and now even the LCD screens for digital readouts in cars. My everyday glasses, ironically the frame I liked came with a custon designed magnetic specific to the frame polarized clip-on. So now I do have them if need them.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Doesn’t matter as much as the ability to change the color of the lens for my shooting glasses. 

I use sunglasses for riding that have a prescription insert and I change the outer lenses for conditions. It is cheaper to run this way than to change prescription lenses for conditions. You can imagine the cost difference between one set of clear prescription lenses and three tinted prescription lenses. I won't deny that vision quality is reduced in this circumstance.

I also imagine you are seeking lenses that offer some specified degree of impact protection. There is a set of specifications set forth by the military for authorized sunglasses. They offer some degree of protection from impact protection from objects similar to shot pellets.

• Heart 1

If I may suggest an alternative, I might recommend different glasses for different conditions. That is to say, pick a frame you find suitable and get three different pairs, each with a different color lens. Snap in lenses are a bit of a pain. Sometimes it takes quite an effort, the snapping part wears out, and they get all dirty and greasy from your hands. You pay just as much for each lens as you pay for a set of glasses. Just a thought.

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, late said:

I always get those lenses that change when you go outside. I used to get Transitions, but the last couple times I got the other brand, I forget the name.

I get pretty much very option they offer. The cost is trivial where your eyes are concerned, esp. for scratch resistant lenses, since I have to use plastic.

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/

My wife likes to spoil me. She carries the vision insurance on me and it covers the cost of most frames and regular bifocals. She thinks I can’t see well enough and tries to get me to go with expensive options and tells me not to worry about the cost, she will pay for them. This last time she talked me into those lenses that get dark when I go out in the sun. I hate them, when I come inside I have to take them off to see. She talked me into no line bifocals once, I didn’t like those either. I guess I’m just a simple guy, that fancy stuff doesn’t work for me.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My wife likes to spoil me. She carries the vision insurance on me and it covers the cost of most frames and regular bifocals. She thinks I can’t see well enough and tries to get me to go with expensive options and tells me not to worry about the cost, she will pay for them. This last time she talked me into those lenses that get dark when I go out in the sun. I hate them, when I come inside I have to take them off to see. She talked me into no line bifocals once, I didn’t like those either. I guess I’m just a simple guy, that fancy stuff doesn’t work for me.

Let me guess, this was about 20 years ago?

They've gotten better, and there are tons of options. Read that article about them that I linked. You can find lighter versions now. It's what I use.

4 minutes ago, late said:

Let me guess, this was about 20 years ago?

They've gotten better, and there are tons of options. Read that article about them that I linked. You can find lighter versions now. It's what I use.

These are brand new glasses, less than a year old. I wore them while mowing the yard the other day when it was sunny. I came in the house and couldn’t see. It’ snot bad at home but when I’m out I don’t know what to do with my glasses when I take them off.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

These are brand new glasses, less than a year old. I wore them while mowing the yard the other day when it was sunny. I came in the house and couldn’t see. It’ snot bad at home but when I’m out I don’t know what to do with my glasses when I take them off.

There are different strengths. Mine are not like that, at all.

This isn't what I have, but I might try them next time:

" Transitions Signature (Transitions Optical) — Transitions Signature lenses with Chromea7 technology represent the latest advancement in Transitions adaptive lenses. They are available in gray, brown and graphite green. The lenses are fully clear indoors and are more responsive to sunlight, so they are darker when you need them to be, according to the company. Transitions Signature lenses are the fastest to fade back to clear indoors of all the Transitions products."

• Heart 1

When younger, I worked in a variety of places with walk-in coolers. The cold air caused the photo sensitive lenses to go dark. :lol: Something to do with an increase of density in the lenses at colder temperatures.

Any more, it takes a while for my eyes to adjust to changing light conditions. I can wear sunglasses outside, come inside, take them off, and still not adjust to the new light conditions.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, Airehead said:

I was thinking the same thing as I was pricing things out. 

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

way too many choices

...people go on and on about how great Costco is.  I have limited enthusiasm for stuff like the Costco hot dog and buying pudding pops by the case.  But the Costco optical department is genuinely of service to me.  I'm hard on glasses, and I need something with both Milspec impact resistant plastic lenses and a more or less indestructible frame.

Costco was the only place I could find something that worked well for me in some kind of metal frame that you can twist around and it still springs back into place. And they are bargain priced.   So I can afford to have two or three pair of spectacles going at one time, and they don't end up trashed or among the missing.

I hear the pharmacy is also run at pretty close to cost, with low profit margins, as a customer base service.  I don't do those kinds of drugs, so I can't speak from experience.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, Airehead said:

My eye exam wasn’t great today. Start of a cataract.

...you sound a little worried here.  I've had the beginnings of a cataract  going on for at least ten years now (when the eye guy first mentioned it), and it has grown pretty slowly.  Some of them progress rapidly, but many do not.  So you might be one of the fortunate ones.  My wife just had lens replacement surgery because of a cataract in one eye last month, and she's getting the other eye done this month.

It's not a big deal any more, and by the time you need to have it  done, they'll probably be doing it in CVS drug stores, like flu shots.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...you sound a little worried here.  I've had the beginnings of a cataract  going on for at least ten years now (when the eye guy first mentioned it), and it has grown pretty slowly.  Some of them progress rapidly, but many do not.  So you might be one of the fortunate ones.  My wife just had lens replacement surgery because of a cataract in one eye last month, and she's getting the other eye done this month.

It's not a big deal any more, and by the time you need to have it  done, they'll probably be doing it in CVS drug stores, like flu shots.

thanks-- i am a little worried