Glamping has been rained out

jsharr

They guide to safe scouting and it's policies on lightning pretty much guaranteed that we would have hundreds of wet scouts sheltering in the dining hall for a good portion of the day, so we called it.  Looks like a good decision today, since we have had severe storms all around us and steady rain all day

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

Had to cancel a campout for over 600 Scouts on Thursday night.  My son is in a different district and unit and they decided to risk it.  By 10 AM we got word they are breaking camp and heading home.

Why doesn't someone in charge come up with a "Camping in the Rain" badge? Nip this nonsense in the bud.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Why doesn't someone in charge come up with a "Camping in the Rain" badge? Nip this nonsense in the bud.

FTR, we skipped camping this weekend - again ? - because the weather forecast for tonight is thunderstorms.  This crap weather needs to sort itself out ASAP.

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We can and do camp in the rain, but this was a Camporee, which is a competition between all the Troops in our city.  I had 18 troops coming to compete in Scout skills and the lightening meant we could not be out in the field.  Tonight was supposed to be call out for those Scouts and Scouters who had been selected for membership in the Order of the Arrow, a service organization wiithin scouting.

It just was not possible or right to try and do all this indoors, so the decision was made to cancel and reschedule, which means I get to plan another big campout.

18 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Real campers wouldn't let a little rain stop them.

Not the rain.  The lightning and the policies we have to adhere to when camping at Council owned facilities.  Rain is one thing,  Lightning, hail and tornadoes are another.  And the inability to hold a lot of the activiteis, like outdoor cooking and fire building.  We could do the lashing, and knife toss and axe toss in the rain.   Not sure the camp would let us use the rifles in the rain.  

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

We can and do camp in the rain, but this was a Camporee, which is a competition between all the Troops in our city.  I had 18 troops coming to compete in Scout skills and the lightening meant we could not be out in the field.  Tonight was supposed to be call out for those Scouts and Scouters who had been selected for membership in the Order of the Arrow, a service organization wiithin scouting.

It just was not possible or right to try and do all this indoors, so the decision was made to cancel and reschedule, which means I get to plan another big campout.

Yep - this nonsense doesn't happen very often in Hawaii. Kids are much tougher there.

Texas seems to have more troubles than even I can fix :(

• Haha 1