When, If Ever, Did You Use A Club

Razors Edge

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...to secure your car from theft?

Walking the dog the other afternoon, I spotted a car with one attached to the steering wheel, and scratched my head wondering when I had seen such nonsense last.

I had one, I think it was a parental gift.  It was hard to drive with it on.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

A local guy invented the club. Jim Winner, it was just one of his businesses. My cousin worked for him. He died in a car accident. I wonder how all his businesses are doing without him? He built and ran a swanky resort called The Tara at the lake and a mansion in Sharon that he fixed up with expensive rooms, spa, dinners. He built a surgical hospital and opened a culinary school as well as owning a steel processing plant. He was the kind of guy that could make anything work.

this morning, down the block while walking Oden the Shedder. I've heard they aren't much good. Criminals just use a hacksaw/portable grinder to cut the steering wheel and the Club falls off

car theft in Portland is crazy. Apparently the courts have ruled that car thieves can just tell the cops that they borrowed the car from Joey. Cop: Where/who is Joey? Thief: I don't know. Cop: You are free to go. Early 2000 Subarus are like gold for car thieves as there are a limited number of keys that fit those models. There are a metric ton of Subaru in Ptown

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

this morning, down the block while walking Oden the Shedder. I've heard they aren't much good. Criminals just use a hacksaw/portable grinder to cut the steering wheel and the Club falls off

car theft in Portland is crazy. Apparently the courts have ruled that car thieves can just tell the cops that they borrowed the car from Joey. Cop: Where/who is Joey? Thief: I don't know. Cop: You are free to go. Early 2000 Subarus are like gold for car thieves as there are a limited number of keys that fit those models. There are a metric ton of Subaru in Ptown

Is the car reported stolen and they still let them walk?   We would pull people over and the registration didn’t match the driver.  Even with signs of tampering there isn’t much that can be done as they could very well be lawfully borrowing the car.  If it was reported stolen different matter.

18 hours ago, Longjohn said:

A local guy invented the club. Jim Winner, it was just one of his businesses. My cousin worked for him. He died in a car accident. I wonder how all his businesses are doing without him? He built and ran a swanky resort called The Tara at the lake and a mansion in Sharon that he fixed up with expensive rooms, spa, dinners. He built a surgical hospital and opened a culinary school as well as owning a steel processing plant. He was the kind of guy that could make anything work.

Did he also start The Winner department store in Sharon, now a prom dress store?

• Confused 1

And it’s not called a Club.  It’s The Club.  I never owned one.

“The Club is the trademark version of a popular automotive steering-wheel lock, produced by Sharon, Pennsylvania-based Winner International. The company was formed in 1986 for the purpose of marketing the device. The inventor, James E. Winner Jr., derived the idea for the device from his service in the Korean War, where he and his fellow soldiers were instructed to secure the steering wheels of their vehicles with metal chains.[1]”

• Awesome 1