I thought Canadians were kind, gentle souls

Square Wheels

Ice Hockey has a mind of its own.  Baltimore used to have a minor-league team, the Baltimore Clippers, whose attendance in the same Civic Center (now Royal Farms Arena) outdrew the old Baltimore Bullets of the NBA (now Washington Wizards), even when the Bullets were in the playoffs.

The Clipper's owners used to pay players, most of whom were Canadians, extra for the fights they got into and there were lots of penalty minutes.  One game that sticks in my memory involved a Clipper named Hart who got into a fight on the ice and then in the penalty box with an opposing player named Le Duc.  As the group I was with was leaving the arena after the game, the opponents (Hershey Bears, I think), were getting on their bus and a guy named Randy in our group yelled at facially-bandaged Le Duc, "Hey Le Duc! You've got to have Hart!"

Le Duc turned and walked toward Randy and we grabbed Randy and rushed him away from a confrontation he wouldn't have won!

Exciting times!

6 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Canadians are part french..

Just some.

they are mean at sports,

Not true but hockey is a rough sport.

but get them out of the arena and they surrender faster then you can say Eh

True of French but certainly not the reputation of Canadians.   :) 

2 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Just some.

Not true but hockey is a rough sport.

True of French but certainly not the reputation of Canadians.   :) 

Stop making me feel like I'm wrong.. never argue with Krazy people ;)

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, wilbur said:

It's because I love you and don't want Canadians to stereotype you!   :)  Zephyr could kick your ass you know..  dude takes on octopus! 

First off everyone stereotypes me.. I'm a hillbilly. 

Second.. anyone can kick my ass.. I'm a wimp. I was had my ass kicked by a three year old wielding a waffle and and attitude.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

First off everyone stereotypes me.. I'm a hillbilly. 

Second.. anyone can kick my ass.. I'm a wimp. I was had my ass kicked by a three year old wielding a waffle and and attitude.

Ha!  Why don't I believe you can't deliver an asskicking if called upon?

2 hours ago, wilbur said:

"Chara is going over to check on him"?  No, Chara went over to beat on him.  Should have got a major for that.  Very selective editing for the US audience. What led to that hit?  A little knee on knee action?  I don't condone headshots but he deserved a good hit. 

Kadri wasn't innocent in the knee hit and Debrusk didn't try to hit him.  Debrusk's hit wasn't cheap.  Yes, if left alone, Chara would have pummeled Kadri, as was deserved.  I hope Kadri is out for the rest of the season, regardless if the Bruins move forward.

• Heart 2

57 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Kadri wasn't innocent in the knee hit and Debrusk didn't try to hit him.  Debrusk's hit wasn't cheap.  Yes, if left alone, Chara would have pummeled Kadri, as was deserved.  I hope Kadri is out for the rest of the season, regardless if the Bruins move forward.

1000x this. Despicable cheap shot. 

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

1000x this. Despicable cheap shot. 

1000 seasons?  He would be as old as Chara by the time he played again..   

It is hockey though and if you are going to check a guy into the end of the glass at the bench, well, you get what you deserve as well.  That too has proven to provide critical injuries.  No different than a head shot. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, wilbur said:

1000 seasons?  He would be as old as Chara by the time he played again..   

It is hockey though and if you are going to check a guy into the end of the glass at the bench, well, you get what you deserve as well.  That too has proven to provide critical injuries.  No different than a head shot. 

I'm kinda bummed Chara is still playing.  He's getting slow and sloppy.  Making more mistakes.  The worst part is Bergeron won't get a chance to be captain.

It's clear last night was planned to be a hard hitting game all around.  There were many hard hits from both sides.  Do I know that Debrusk tried to hit him into the corner glass?  Of course not, but I don't thank that was the plan.  If it was, out with him too for the season.  I don't mind the roughness of the game at all, it's what they signed up for.  A crosscheck to the face gliding in from 10 feet away, is not.  Kadri crossed the line.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm kinda bummed Chara is still playing.  He's getting slow and sloppy.  Making more mistakes.  The worst part is Bergeron won't get a chance to be captain.

It's clear last night was planned to be a hard hitting game all around.  There were many hard hits from both sides.  Do I know that Debrusk tried to hit him into the corner glass?  Of course not, but I don't thank that was the plan.  If it was, out with him too for the season.  I don't mind the roughness of the game at all, it's what they signed up for.  A crosscheck to the face gliding in from 10 feet away, is not.  Kadri crossed the line.

Chara was let slide in Ottawa for the same reason.  He showed a lot of promise initially but slowed down and was seldom in the game unless the game was at his feet.  Melnyk wasn't going to reward him with more money.