I almost killed him several times this weekend

Airehead

I am guessing you were measuring the logs to see if you could put them together and maybe "plant" Mr Aire...6 ft under... 

If it get to you too much...you can walk away...I am sure you have plenty of projects at your new work farm....you could just go to the other side of the yard and work there...

Oh...go shop for groceries :nodhead:  saves on hiding the body and murder charges!!

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Please pass along my long held belief to Mr. Aire.

"You don't know the true potential of your wife, until she tries to kill you."

Wilbur

I just laughed right out loud causing my secretary to glance in my direction with a worried look on her face.

• Heart 3

Oh come on, I'm an Engineer and I still bought an appropriate chain saw for the job, I'd argue over buying is actually anti-engineer as we would study what we were trying to accomplish and buy the appropriate tool for the job.  My main over kill was going Stihl, but that is because I've got a couple dead chainsaws in my garage already and wanted one that will last (others were all given to me).

Of course I'm also an old farm boy, so clearing brush, yeah, I've got a Bobcat skid loader in my garage, screw the chain saw.  ?

• Heart 1

My dad worked in the forestry service for a while. He understood chainsaws and how to fell/trim trees. We always had a cut stick. It had a metal tab on one end so we could just hook it at the end of the last cut and he would cut to length. One would hold the stick, the other 2 hauled the wood to the pickup. He could keep all 3 of us hopping!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Mr. Aire is such an engineer--- it was nuts. ?

We had to buy a chainsaw.  I didn't care so much about what we bought.  We only have brush/limbs to clear and to cut up the two trees they cleared to put in the driveway.  He of course, cared a lot and got a chainsaw appropriate for a family of 11 that heats with wood.?

Of course he wanted to use it which left me to brush clearing.  I worked and lived at  a landscaper/nursery during my last two years of college.  Clearing brush and laying sod are the reason I stayed in college.  In this home, we heated 100% with wood including a cook stove int he kitchen and a wood powered hot water heater.  My next home also heated with wood using an external furnace.  I know a thing or two about chainsaws and firewood.  (Mr. Aire for the record, has never used wood to heat anything except the occasional camp fire.)

Being the engineer he is--- he of course was an expert at tree and brush removal. ?  He was cutting the logs way too long for most fireboxes and cutting them in half once again made them short and stubby.  I tried to talk to him about it but he pretended he could not hear me due to his ear protection. ?

I deserve a gold star for completing my portion of the work without hurting anyone.  We have some really nice oak firewood at the road edge for anyone who needs it--- logs are either too long or too short but the quality of the wood is nice.

I am going to take some vacation today and finish the job before he gets home--- well if it stops raining.

I know these engineer types. Basically 'asshole' is their middle name. Some might even say he is a 'guy' -- which often is synonymous with 'ass'. So lots of butt things.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

So what did he buy? Where are the pictures? I don’t approve of wimpy chain saws.

...+1.  I'm fond of Husky chainsaws, but also have had good luck with Stihl. Makita makes and sells one now, but I've never used or owned one of theirs.

Hey @Airehead, you need to buy a couple three chisel tooth chains for that sucker. the ones that usually come as original equipment on most saws don't throw an impressive enough chip stream to look like a lumberjack.  

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

I have a 14 inch light weight saw for light pruning and trimming. A 20 inch saw for normal wood cutting and a 24 inch saw for heavy work and use with my Alaska chain saw mill. If Mr Aire only has one saw you must tell him he is under equipped.  ?

Yes, and if he's truly an Engineer, he should understand the importance of having the right tool for the job.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...+1.  I'm fond of Husky chainsaws, but also have had good luck with Stihl. Makita makes and sells one now, but I've never used or owned one of theirs.

Hey @Airehead, you need to buy a couple three chisel tooth chains for that sucker. the ones that usually come as original equipment on most saws don't throw an impressive enough chip stream to look like a lumberjack.  

I have both Husky and Stihl chainsaws. I inherited the Stihl from my dad. I think he only used it for one month. I tried it and didn’t like it. The next time I went to try it I couldn’t get it started. I didn’t like it anyway so I just use my Husqvarna. Chisel tooth are the only way to go if you are serious about cutting wood.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

He of course, cared a lot and got a chainsaw appropriate for a family of 11 that heats with wood.?

You don't understand guys, do you?

A few years back, my wife called to say a tree had fallen, I would need to cut it up when I got home.  She called back later to tell me that two of my neighbors got into a "my chainsaw's tougher than yours", and the job was done.

• Haha 3
  • Envious 1

Stihl all the way.

And wood cut to be placed for fee at the end of the driveway should only be cut in lengths that can be carried.  Anyone that cuts up free firewood has either too much time on their hands or a new saw that they won't put down.

Explain to the engineer that the time to make the additional cuts he made to make nice free wood vs. something that could be handled easily could have been spent helping you with the bush.  But never mention to him the great brush heads that can be purchased for your weedwacker.  I love those things.

I talked with my Amish neighbor for an hour tonight. He had just finished cutting up the rest of the big pine tree that fell across the road. He had two chainsaws out there, a big Husky and a mid sized Johnsered. While we talked his kids hitched up a wagon and gathered up all the branches and hauled them down to the pasture to be burned. They must have made six loads or so, good workers.

He showed me the back of his house, all the siding was full of holes from the hail storm last night and two of the windows were broken.

I have a big Apple tree down in my back yard from the storm. Strange that the wind would uproot an Apple tree with no leaves on it. Most of the trees that were blown down were evergreen  trees that caught more wind. I get to play with my chainsaw now sometime.