Kids

Square Wheels

Back in '96 when I started here, we faxed a lot of stuff. The fax machine in engineering sucked though. It was that heat sensitive roll paper.  First problem was the paper always wanted to curl up, and two, the messages disappeared after while :wacko: So pretty much any fax we wanted to keep needed to be copied. We still have a one fax line for the company, but back then every department had one. And last year I actually received a fax. When I ordered my Rx Oakleys, the eye doc had to fax my prescription over. They would not email it.

Kids?  I'm far from a kid and have never touched a fax machine in my life.  Scanners and email have been around for a long time now.  Last place I worked, yeah I had a fax number even, but it was a computer system that converted it to a PDF and emailed it to me. 

• Confused 1

My father in law had a fax machine in his office and he used it a lot before his health went south. When I was cleaning out his office I put all his computers, printer, fax machine, and monitors out for my brother in law to take to the electronics recycling place. I didn’t even bother to see if any of the stuff still worked because it was all so outdated. He had a huge commercial Brothers printer that I was tempted to test but decided it was too big.

Reminds me I got this really bizarre fax to my email.  It looked like a death certificate for someone I never heard of.  I’m guessing they misdialed...

i haven’t sent a fax in ages, we scan & email docs and anymore we sign documents electronically.

• Heart 1

I created a database program that sent out 300+ faxes every night. It used 4 PCs and land lines. It sent out requests to automotive transport companies for bids to move cars and trucks. Fortunately trucking companies started using email during the next 10 years and we were able to change to that. Much quicker and cheaper plus most truckers didn't have fax machines in their trucks.

16 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Does anyone remember spam faxes? Like free vacations and such. The precursor to spam emails.

When I first started working, that is the only thing I remember coming in on the fax machine.  We would hang up the best ones as some of them could be quite funny.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Does anyone remember spam faxes? Like free vacations and such. The precursor to spam emails.

Yes and there were big fines if they were caught unlike the spam phone calls.

We had to be very sure that each of the 300+ faxes that I mentioned earlier went to people who actually wanted them to avoid being fined.

• Sad 2

I had to fax an audit confirmation letter last week due to the contact information listed in a legal document.

When the fax number was busy I had to call and email the attorney to find out that the fax had been broken for a really long time.

I emailed the document to her.

Technology rocks.