My cat was attacked by a woodpecker

AirwickWithCheese

At least I think, not sure. 

Just recently started letting Allie outside since he's a big boy now and broke a window glass in the living room. 

He came back inside this morning with a cut near his eye and my first thought was he got a squirrel who got in one last punch. 

Later I went out with him to keep watch and make sure he was ok. This huge, and I do mean huge woodpecker swoops in and starts taunting him from a low branch from the oak tree. This woodpecker was almost as big as a roadrunner 

Allie hasn't left the house. My cat is afraid of the giant woodpecker.  

• Heart 2
  • Sad 5

Just now, Airehead said:

Please get him to a vet. The chance of infection is high and so close to the eye is not good. Ps-  this is why he should be an inside cat

He is but he was horny. Neighbors have an orange temptress female that taunts my poor boy.    :(

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

He is but he was horny. Neighbors have an orange temptress female that taunts my poor boy.    :(

Another good reason to get him to the vet................:o

Was this the woodpecker?  It's a pileated woodpecker and they can grow pretty large.  I have at least one of these and among other things it has taken down a tree.  My cats stop and look up when large birds fly over.  They are pretty careful.

Image result for pileated woodpecker

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

800px-Pileated_Woodpecker_male.jpg...you'll be lucky if it doesn't start on your house.

They're a protected species under the migratory bird act, even though they don't migrate.  It probably lives over on Katherine's estate, where there are big trees.

:o

I will be staying in the house.  

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Ok, you weasels are scaring me. This bird won't attack us at night, no?  :(

...the one I had at the house up in the foothills (different subspecies, but basically the same bird) was not nocturnal in its habits.  They are pretty impressive in flight, but insectivorous in diet.  Generally speaking, you and your cat are more in danger from the larger hawks, owls, and for sure eagles (if you have any of those.)

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Shoot that woodpecker bastard! 

...they really are protected here, and with good reason. They're not exactly endangered, because they've adapted to living close to humans.  But they are somewhat uncommon, at least here in California in my location.  

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...they really are protected here, and with good reason. They're not exactly endangered, because they've adapted to living close to humans.  But they are somewhat uncommon, at least here in California in my location.  

They look like small pterodactyls.   :(

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am with Couch in this. Get that cat to a vet STAT.  An infection caused by a bird or even another cat can get bad fast. It will cost you thousands if you delay. 

Aire, if he doesn't provide documentation by this time tomorrow, he's going to be in YUGE trouble with me.

Shu Fang

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am with Couch in this. Get that cat to a vet STAT.  An infection caused by a bird or even another cat can get bad fast. It will cost you thousands if you delay. 

I know this to be true.  He needs a cat scan.  

I think a capture and relocate is in order. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My dog would occasionally get dive-bombed by BLUEJAYS.  Those little effers - protecting a nest? - would zoom at her butt, and when they nipped/pecked her, she would leap & spin in a crazy way.  Never did she bleed, though, nor was her face injured.

Blue jays can be very mean. I once had a neighbor who was picking fruit from one of his trees. The blue jays attacked him.