Your first sports memory

AirwickWithCheese

For me it was Notre Dame upsetting the UCLA clowns in basketball in 1974? Digger Phelps beating Wooden and the hippie Bill Walton. 

Then watching Maryland upset Notre Dame a few games later. I was a Maryland and Lefty Driesel fan all my life which made no sense living in Greenville. 

• Heart 1

When I was a kid my mom would drop my brother and neighbor kid off at the old Newport Theater and we would watch surfing movies like Endless Summer.  We longed to live the surfer life.

I also remember my BIL who was a White Sox fan take me to Angels stadium as a kid.

• Heart 1

Spending New Year's Eve with my grandmother while my parents went out and I stayed up after she went to bed and watched the 1973 Sugar Bowl with Notre Dame and Alabama playing for the national title.   I knew nothing of either team but by the time the game ended I was totally into it.  I mentioned it to my Dad the next day asking if he had heard of the game, only to find out he wished he could have just stayed home and watched the game, but my Mom really wanted to go to her friend's party.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Lots of hockey stuff but the biggest embarrassment was Bobby Riggs and Billy Jean..

Biggest upset I remember people talking about, Leon Spinks defeat of Muhammed Ali. 

My dad was a big boxing fan and I remember Leon Spinks vs  Ali.  Sugar Ray Leonard & Roberto “No Mas Duran” Tommy Hitman Hearns & Marvin Hagler.

I stopped following boxing after he passed in 1981.

• Heart 2

Just now, BR46 said:

Having my picture taken standing next to Jim Hall at Road America when I was 5 years old. 

Oh we used to sneak in to the OC Speedway and watch the dirt track races as a kid. Bruce Penhall, Bobby Boogaloo Schwartz was my favorite.  We would come home splattered in mud!

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I was a Maryland and Lefty Driesel fan all my life..

...Dreisel was the BB coach while I was at Maryland.  That was the era of Tom McMillan and John Lucas. All the games were always packed at Cole field house, and the crowd was electric. Tickets were free if you were a student, so it was cheap entertainment.:cheerleader: The girl cheer leaders at the time were very good looking.

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...Dreisel was the BB coach while I was at Maryland.  That was the era of Tom McMillan and John Lucas. All the games were always packed at Cole field house, and the crowd was electric. Tickets were free if you were a student, so it was cheap entertainment.:cheerleader: The girl cheer leaders at the time were very good looking.

Lefty was the greatest. Your association with him is why I decided to tolerate you 3 years ago

• Haha 1

Greg Pruitt took a handoff and was to the sideline in a heartbeat, and half a blink later he cut back in a magical way I didn’t know was possible and broke free for about 70 yards and a touchdown. 

He was almost Barry Sanders, but was the discount model that kept getting high ankle sprains.  I loved that guy. 

My earliest memory was when I was around 7 years old.

The bar at which my father tended bar part time occasionally had a lot of men born out-of-state who rooted for the New York Yankees - as I did before I was a teenager - and went as a group to the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore once a year when the Yankees were playing the Orioles.

We had cheap seats near the left field foul line and my hero Mickey Mantle, who had recently had two consecutive 50+ home run seasons and upper 300's batting averages, was having one of his many injury problems and was playing left field instead of center field. It was a thrill seeing him so close.  At the end of one of the innings, I knew Mantle was the first batter for the Yankees the next inning so, before he ran off the field I yelled as loud as I could, "Hit one out, Mick!"

He looked up at me and smiled and sure enough, he hit the home run! He was rested after that late-inning at bat, so I didn't get a chance to yell down to him afterward, but that didn't diminish the thrill!

I was taken to that stadium at earlier dates to watch the Orioles, Yankees, and Baltimore Colts, but the one with Mickey Mantle's home run was the first one I remember.