Anyone have a tandem for sale

JerrySTL

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Digital has a nice one that I bet he would loan you. He has several tandems, he probably doesn’t want to sell but talk to him and see what he recommends.

She and I probably need to start training with the tandem now to make next June. While WoJSTL can kick my rump during a half marathon, she has balance issues after her brain surgeries. We have ridden on tandem rentals a few times in the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I imagine MOST tandem owners would sell you theirs.  Those are divorces on wheels :)

Just for the Katy trail, you might be good, but talk about back seat driving :whistle:

They say, which ever way your relationship is heading, a tandem will get you there faster.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rattlecan said:

They say, which ever way your relationship is heading, a tandem will get you there faster.

Honestly, I can see that happening in one direction (heading south), but in a good relationship, I bet it just stays the course and doesn't take it to the next level.  In a rare occasion, I can see both folks enjoying it so much that they stick with it as a couple.  I generally see at least one, and often up to half a dozen tandems on pleasant weekend rides.  I don't listen in to see if things are going swell, but I can say I do see some of the SAME couples over a span of months or even years. 

30 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have one that you might could use.  I am 5'10" and can ride the front.  You'd have to see if it is big enough for you.  It's plenty of bike for a tail.  

I just might take you up on that. I'm driving up to Cincy sometime is May and will be going through your neck of the woods.

• Heart 1

I have an old Schwinn Twinn tandem that was given to me by a friend who was stationed in Canada during the Viet Nam conflict and decided to stay. He bought the bike new when he was in college,(1964) and brought it north with him.

I completely refurbished it, thinking the Mrs and I would ride many happy miles together.

She hated it right from the get go, and while we do ride together, it is on separate bikes and shall remain so.

• Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

She hated it right from the get go, and while we do ride together, it is on separate bikes and shall remain so.

Is it a cadence thing? Both folks need to pedal at the same cadence or can they go at a different one?  Likewise, can one coast while the other pedals?

I'd find, for my wife, she'd probably hate not running the show.  I was surprised she was fine sitting behind me on a moped in Bermuda as we zipped around, so maybe it wouldn't be awful, but I still have my doubts.

I met a couple who rode a Salsa Powderkeg, 29er mt tandem. They rocked that thing. Singletrack galore. He said his wife had crazy supplies stashed on it. One day they're riding and she hands him a grilled cheese, still hot. He was like "f*ck, where did you get this?"

I tested one with a friend. The stability was amazing. My friend was riding with his boss on the back. They were going 40 mph down a gravel road and she is snapping selfies on the back. The blur of the trees looked so cool.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I imagine MOST tandem owners would sell you theirs.  Those are divorces on wheels :)

Just for the Katy trail, you might be good, but talk about back seat driving :whistle:

Digital has an OSHA approved custom made stoker’s fork for the stoker to use to control the speed of the tandem. Petite has used it.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is it a cadence thing? Both folks need to pedal at the same cadence or can they go at a different one?  Likewise, can one coast while the other pedals?

I'd find, for my wife, she'd probably hate not running the show.  I was surprised she was fine sitting behind me on a moped in Bermuda as we zipped around, so maybe it wouldn't be awful, but I still have my doubts.

Well, that is certainly part of it, but I'm not sure enough that eliminating the dedicated synchronized cranks would be worth the effort. I can think of ways to convert it to independent pedaling, but I'm not sure enough that it would make her like it to go to the trouble. 

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Well, that is certainly part of it, but I'm not sure enough that eliminating the dedicated synchronized cranks would be worth the effort. I can think of ways to convert it to independent pedaling, but I'm not sure enough that it would make her like it to go to the trouble. 

Do women even shift their bikes? :dontknow:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Do women even shift their bikes? :dontknow:

WoKzoo tries never to.  She puts in the big ring and the small cog and mashes her way through.  She is set on believing that gives her the best work out.

#shedoesn'tlistentome

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

WoKzoo tries never to.  She puts in the big ring and the small cog and mashes her way through.  She is set on believing that gives her the best work out.

#shedoesn'tlistentome

At least she isn’t cross chaining. I have seen women do it the other way.

I don't want to sell it, but I would loan you my Dave Montague Tri-Frame folding tandem for as long as you need it. My wife can't ride anymore and my nephew isn't interested (college boy now).  Size should work well for both of you and it can take a MTB tire up to 2.25". I'm running 1.5 slickes on it right now.tandem004.thumb.jpg.900c1a3d048a3b2f8971a254bac2943b.jpgGetting it to you might be an issue. It will cost a mint to ship. If we head back east this summer, I could drop it off.

tandem001.thumb.jpg.55cacda6028c1a63cac485ccd7d7ba90.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

45 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I don't want to sell it, but I would loan you my Dave Montague Tri-Frame folding tandem for as long as you need it. My wife can't ride anymore and my nephew isn't interested (college boy now).  Size should work well for both of you and it can take a MTB tire up to 2.25". I'm running 1.5 slickes on it right now.tandem004.thumb.jpg.900c1a3d048a3b2f8971a254bac2943b.jpgGetting it to you might be an issue. It will cost a mint to ship. If we head back east this summer, I could drop it off.

tandem001.thumb.jpg.55cacda6028c1a63cac485ccd7d7ba90.jpg

Does it come in blue?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, dennis said:

I met a couple who rode a Salsa Powderkeg, 29er mt tandem. They rocked that thing. Singletrack galore. He said his wife had crazy supplies stashed on it. One day they're riding and she hands him a grilled cheese, still hot. He was like "f*ck, where did you get this?"

I tested one with a friend. The stability was amazing. My friend was riding with his boss on the back. They were going 40 mph down a gravel road and she is snapping selfies on the back. The blur of the trees looked so cool.

A couple of weekends ago I was riding up this super technical switchback trail.  I had a hard time navigating the super steep switchbacks.  As I’m at the top all proud of myself I see a man & woman on a tandem MTB just crushing the climb I struggled up!  I can imagine how hard those switchbacks had to be on a tandem. 

I asked my wife if she was ever interested in a tandem and she said she’d prefer to ride her own bike.   She’s a masher and I’m more of a spinner so probably best...

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes.  Many women understand gearing and the drivetrain very well. 

I wondered how long it would take to get a reaction out of you. Did you like my “stirring the pot” gif?

actually my wife struggles with understanding the gears as does her sister. They just need to ride more. My granddaughter does very well.

I may consider selling my Comotion road tandem if it would fit you.  Captain would need to be at least 5-9 or more. It has front and rear racks.  Don't really want to sell the bags.  It has 700c 28 tires now.  You may be able to fit 700c32 at the very widest.  Not a bike for off pavement.  Not selling the Mountain tandem. Would be willing to loan it for a trail.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I wondered how long it would take to get a reaction out of you. Did you like my “stirring the pot” gif?

actually my wife struggles with understanding the gears as does her sister. They just need to ride more. My granddaughter does very well.

My wife has it down as well, she just prefers to push hard gears.  60-70 RPMs is her style.

One time I was riding with the missus and saw the most bizarre thing.  An Asian couple I’m presuming husband & wife riding nice road bikes all decked out in kit.  Wife is going maybe 10 MPH but her legs are spinning 110 RPM’s and she’s looking down, not up and weaving all over the road.  

Guy pulls up next to her and she starts swinging at him to back off yelling in a foreign language.  Wife and I gave them a lot of room as we passed.  

I’m  guessing she didn’t have a grasp on gearing...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I didn't realize you were fishing.  I should have known.  You tricky minx.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I may consider selling my Comotion road tandem if it would fit you.  Captain would need to be at least 5-9 or more. It has front and rear racks.  Don't really want to sell the bags.  It has 700c 28 tires now.  You may be able to fit 700c32 at the very widest.  Not a bike for off pavement.  Not selling the Mountain tandem. Would be willing to loan it for a trail.

Off pavement would be one of the primary purposes. Crushed limestone on the Katy Trail for example. I've run 32's on the Katy and that's adequate for just me. That's for the offer, but I don't think it will work for me.