BuffJim

8 hours ago, BR46 said:

I read that yesterday and thought. 

Someone doesn't know what life is all about. 

He could have just said that all the workers should give their lives so he could get bigger yachts and better planes and more houses.

I would be demoralized if I was working there.  Sure, work what amounts to two full time jobs, add in the commute, stress yourself to hell, never see your wife, never see or have a hand in raising your kids, never have any interests of your own, and all so so jackhole multi-billionaire can add to his fortune while you quite literally throw your life away. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

He could have just said that all the workers should give their lives so he could get bigger yachts and better planes and more houses. 

I would be demoralized if I was working there.  Sure, work what amounts to two full time jobs, add in the commute, stress yourself to hell, never see your wife, never see or have a hand in raising your kids, never have any interests of your own, and all so so jackhole multi-billionaire can add to his fortune while you quite literally throw your life away. 

Do you think he works more or less than what he is proposing?

I'm sure, in his head, he is a 24/7/365 "worker", so he is really going easy on his expectations for others.

My belief is that there should be a reason, more than just keeping your job, to work like that. If you are self employed and want/need it for your business, that's OK. If you are executive track bucking for a promotion, then it might be OK.  I'm not. Also if you are getting paid overtime, and you consent, that's OK.  Even then, working crazy hours is not what we were made for.

I sometimes remind my wife that her overtime is only serving to make a couple guys who are already rich even richer.

• Heart 1

Just now, BuffJim said:

Even then, working crazy hours is not what we were made for.

In all likelihood, it is EXACTLY what we are made for.  You didn't survive to long a few millennia ago by relaxing 16 hours per day.  You worked - sun up to sun down - then you worked some more :( Eventually, you died.

This country made great strides on the labor of people who went out and tilled their own land, most likely from dawn to dusk.  The Chinese are currently working hard to become a world leader........perhaps "the" world leader.  Yes they work hard.

My son's former father in law arrived in Malaysia as a poor man, a laborer and a cook who eventually earned enough to start his own restaurant.  Today he owns two companies, a heavy equipment distributorship and a construction company that builds skyscrapers.  He lives on the top 4 floors of one of them.  I have a great deal of respect for how hard he must have worked to accomplish these things. 

There are people here, who we know, who have worked hard to succeed.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you think he works more or less than what he is proposing?

I'm sure, in his head, he is a 24/7/365 "worker", so he is really going easy on his expectations for others.

Hard to say.  That said, all his efforts ultimately go to rewarding himself, and almost all the workers efforts go to rewarding him as well.  

I am sure that he does think he works 24/7, and I am also sure that he has set up his life so that he can socialize with clients or partners over dinner, golf, and sharing prostitutes, and call it all work.  It is in a way, but allows you control and the ability to bring a spouse, and is less stressful than the rank and file who are all expected to stay in the office excessive hours for the mere ‘possibility’ of an undetermined reward.  That is the stuff evil people do. 

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is the stuff evil people do. 

Or, the standard reply to this comment is: "Start your own company."  In other words, folks are choosing to limit themselves - working for "da man" instead of choosing/making their own destiny.  Clearly, Jack Ma got where he is purely through his own hard work and random luck, and, should the dice roll favorably for you too, then you can match his success with the requisite hard work. :D  That's how capitalism communism works.