e-Bikes on Bike Trails in Maryland

MickinMD

I got this e-mail today and would appreciate any insights about similar laws in other states:

Dear Mickey,

PeopleForBikes and the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association are pleased to announce that on April 18, Maryland Governor Hogan signed into law House Bill 939 and Senate Bill 935. These bills officially recognize electric bikes as bicycles and give e-bike riders the same access to roads and pathways as other bicycle riders in Maryland.

I don't know enough about e-Bikes and their potential speeds. So I'm not sure I like the new law in our state but I'm not sure I dislike it.

We do have so strange bike laws.  For example, no one operating a motorized vehicle in Maryland is allowed to where headphones or earbuds covering both ears - except for bicyclists on officially designated bike trails!

I occasionally see electric-powered boards, scooters, etc. on bike trails and they are often traveling much faster than than bikes do in congested areas.  Yes, we on bikes often exceed the official 15 mph speed limit but rarely in congested areas I wonder if this introduces a new problem.

Illegal on most trails here, mountain and paved.  Most of the MUTs have a 15mph speed limit that is actually enforced so even a class 2 is a big issue in congested areas.

I watched a crazy Youtube video yesterday about this guy that made an ebike with a big motor.  From the looks of it, he was doing about 60mph.

In Maine, e-bikes are considered motor vehicles, not bicycles. Which means they are technically illegal, since there is currently no way to register them.

You can also search the topic here since we have discussed it many times over the past couple years. 

My solution is simple, yet likely not one you agree with.  I would outright ban use of Class 3 ebikes on trails and bike lanes.  Class 2 (throttle) would be banned at a later date to allow phase out, and Class 1 (lower speed pedal assist) would be the only ebikes allowed on trails and bike lanes.  I cannot possibly think of a reason for a bike with assist over 20mph to be used on a trail/bike lane.  If someone wants that for their commute, that's what we still have access to the roads for.  My commutes into DC along the W&OD, Custis, and L/M Street bikelanes show me that 20mph is a perfectly fine speed for a pedal assisted bike.  I'd be over the moon if I averaged anywhere near 20mph on the tough stretch on the Custis(!), so anything over 20mph due to a motor assist is INSANE.

and:

• Class 1: Okay everywhere!
  • Class 2: Bad idea, ban eventually on all paths & bike lanes
  • Class 3: Leave them for the roads - no to use on paths or bike lanes

44 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Most places outlaw Class 3 on paths.

Which places ban Class 3 on paths?  Most places either allow them in general (all ebikes), or where restricted at a state level (like CA), allow local/regional level to permit them.  I'm a fan of, at the state level, the ban on all the Class 3 bikes and to allow the Class 1 only on non-roads.  If the folks owning the Class 3 bikes can convince enough folks using paths and BIKE LANES that they should be allowed to share these non-car paths then let them share them.

47 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Class 2 e-bikes have a built in 20 mph max.

Class 2 should be simply banned everywhere.  Throttle assist on bikes is stupid.  Pedal assist is the only good/proper option now.

Class 1 is also limited to 20 mph ASSISTED boost. 

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Which places ban Class 3 on paths?  Most places either allow them in general (all ebikes), or where restricted at a state level (like CA), allow local/regional level to permit them.  I'm a fan of, at the state level, the ban on all the Class 3 bikes and to allow the Class 1 only on non-roads.  If the folks owning the Class 3 bikes can convince enough folks using paths and BIKE LANES that they should be allowed to share these non-car paths then let them share them.

Class 2 should be simply banned everywhere.  Throttle assist on bikes is stupid.  Pedal assist is the only good/proper option now.

Electric bikes limited to 20 mph can be ridden on paths here

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You can also search the topic here since we have discussed it many times over the past couple years. 

My solution is simple, yet likely not one you agree with.  I would outright ban use of Class 3 ebikes on trails and bike lanes.  Class 2 (throttle) would be banned at a later date to allow phase out, and Class 1 (lower speed pedal assist) would be the only ebikes allowed on trails and bike lanes.  I cannot possibly think of a reason for a bike with assist over 20mph to be used on a trail/bike lane.  If someone wants that for their commute, that's what we still have access to the roads for.  My commutes into DC along the W&OD, Custis, and L/M Street bikelanes show me that 20mph is a perfectly fine speed for a pedal assisted bike.  I'd be over the moon if I averaged anywhere near 20mph on the tough stretch on the Custis(!), so anything over 20mph due to a motor assist is INSANE.

and:

• Class 1: Okay everywhere!
  • Class 2: Bad idea, ban eventually on all paths & bike lanes
  • Class 3: Leave them for the roads - no to use on paths or bike lanes

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more.  A class 2 bike does not necessarily mean it has a throttle and just because can go up to 20 mph doesn't mean I'm doing that in a 15 mph zone.

Just now, Dottie said:

Yep, I fail to see how "Washington state" equates to "most places".  Again, not disagreeing that SOME places ban Class 3 ebikes on certain paths, but definitely disputing "most" do. 

As I was passed and drafted a Trek SupeCommuter last night on a busy trail, I can definitively say that 1) the class 3 bikes are out there, and 2) they are legal in VA.

4 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more.  A class 2 bike does not necessarily mean it has a throttle and just because can go up to 20 mph doesn't mean I'm doing that in a 15 mph zone.

Does your bike fall into the Class 2 category? I think that category is the "throttle alone or throttle plus" group - sort of the Pedego way. I dislike throttles on bikes, but Pedego tries to justify them.

Class 1: Pedal Assist / Pedelec <=250W

Class 2: Throttle <=250W

Class 3: Speed Pedelec <=750W (1hp)

You may be seeing the 

Class 2: Throttle On Demand
The electric drive system on the ebike can be activated through a throttle element such as a grip-twist, trigger or button and is limited to low speeds. The motor system may also be activated through a pedaling action as with Class 1. In parts of Europe this class would be considered a motor vehicle and is prohibited from use on trails and other bicycle-specific infrastructure and is therefore less common. For those locations where it is allowed in Europe, the top speed is limited to 15 mph (25 kph) with motor wattage <= 250 watts as with Class 1. In America this class is currently less restricted and therefore more common. The top speed is limited to 20 mph (32 kph) with motor wattage of <= 750 watts as with Class 1. Due to the low speed of operation without the required pedaling action, this class may be a bit more restricted but still benefit from the same rights and access privileges on paved surfaces as non-assist bicycles and should be able to be used on streets, bike lanes and multi-use bike paths.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think you need to provide a quote, not a link. 

I have no throttle.  Therefore you may be right.  It would seem I am the owner of a class 1 bicycle even though I clearly recall the shop owner saying it was a class 2.  This is the one I own -- and it's all PDA.

https://www.cynergyebikes.com/Haibike-SDuro-Trekking-7-0-High-Step-2018-p/hb_sduro_trek_7_hs_2018.htm

So.........

I owe you an apology.  But honestly -- it's really not about being right or wrong -- just to give you grief.  Ha!

Sorry RE.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I have no throttle.  Therefore you may be right.  It would seem I am the owner of a class 1 bicycle even though I clearly recall the shop owner saying it was a class 2.  This is the one I own -- and it's all PDA.

https://www.cynergyebikes.com/Haibike-SDuro-Trekking-7-0-High-Step-2018-p/hb_sduro_trek_7_hs_2018.htm

So.........

I owe you an apology.  But honestly -- it's really not about being right or wrong -- just to give you grief.  Ha!

Sorry RE.  

It's actually WAY PAST OVERDUE!

Not the apology, but rather some photos and a review of the bike itself.  I knew you had one and would love some actual photos and a pros/cons list now that you have had it a little while.

Well, maybe I didn't owe you an apology.  Your table you posted seems to be off. I knew I had greater what than what you were showing.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Does your bike fall into the Class 2 category? I think that category is the "throttle alone or throttle plus" group - sort of the Pedego way. I dislike throttles on bikes, but Pedego tries to justify them.

Class 1: Pedal Assist / Pedelec <=250W

Class 2: Throttle <=250W

Class 3: Speed Pedelec <=750W (1hp)

You may be seeing the 

Class 2: Throttle On Demand
The electric drive system on the ebike can be activated through a throttle element such as a grip-twist, trigger or button and is limited to low speeds. The motor system may also be activated through a pedaling action as with Class 1. In parts of Europe this class would be considered a motor vehicle and is prohibited from use on trails and other bicycle-specific infrastructure and is therefore less common. For those locations where it is allowed in Europe, the top speed is limited to 15 mph (25 kph) with motor wattage <= 250 watts as with Class 1. In America this class is currently less restricted and therefore more common. The top speed is limited to 20 mph (32 kph) with motor wattage of <= 750 watts as with Class 1. Due to the low speed of operation without the required pedaling action, this class may be a bit more restricted but still benefit from the same rights and access privileges on paved surfaces as non-assist bicycles and should be able to be used on streets, bike lanes and multi-use bike paths.

My specs:

Motor: Bosch Performance CX 350W
Battery: 36V / 14Ah / 500Wh rapid charge Li-Ion Battery

8 minutes ago, Dottie said:

My specs:

Motor: Bosch Performance CX 350W
Battery: 36V / 14Ah / 500Wh rapid charge Li-Ion Battery

Also in your specs: E-Bike Class: Class 1, 20mph max. assist

And then, on the Bosch website:

image.png.918dd7753e4c70f5e0a642da0e2fb0b1.png

So, it looks like that CX 350W is ????  Anyway, it seems that while there is a nominal 250W rating, Turbo kicks it way UP!!!! over that to that 600W number presumable (which isn't 300% or 250W).  

See, clear as MUD and very similar to why the regulation of this stuff is so FUN.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, it looks like that CX 350W is ????  Anyway, it seems that while there is a nominal 250W rating, Turbo kicks it way UP!!!! over that to that 600W number presumable (which isn't 300% or 250W).  

See, clear as MUD and very similar to why the regulation of this stuff is so FUN.

On a rails to trails path, I can think of no good reason why I need to travel greater than 20 mph. If I mainly rode on roads, then class 3 makes sense. I was considering that at one point.

But here's the rub. Who is enforcing this anyway? I was going to get Class 3 but found the cost prohibitive.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I have that. I seriously doubt it puts out 600 watts.

The names are silly, it has low, medium and high.

Even on high, I find myself pushing the bike up steep sections...

Having said that, it's great being back on a bike.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Did you buy one??

Yes, but I am not sure which model. I am checking, and I'll get back to you.

This is what I have:

http://www.highway550.com/2018/10/1400-mile-review-of-felt-sport-e-95s.html

OK, it looks like I have the Performance Line. I saw a Youtube review, and that's what it had. Same model, but on my bike the Bosch unit says Shimano Steps instead of which model, so I am not 100%.

So this guy tops out at 275 watts. Maybe if I could pedal harder, I could get more watts. Dunno, I am kinda new to this.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/products/performance-line-cx/

10 minutes ago, late said:

Yes, but I am not sure which model. I am checking, and I'll get back to you.

This is what I have:

http://www.highway550.com/2018/10/1400-mile-review-of-felt-sport-e-95s.html

OK, it looks like I have the Performance Line. I saw a Youtube review, and that's what it had. Same model, but on my bike the Bosch unit says Shimano Steps instead of which model, so I am not 100%.

So this guy tops out at 275 watts. Maybe if I could pedal harder, I could get more watts. Dunno, I am kinda new to this.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/products/performance-line-cx/

Congrats!!  Yeah, I'm really enjoying my bike a lot.  Rode it 20 miles over the weekend and for 2/3 of the trip I could have been on my tourer and would have noticed a diff.  But man, that last part of the trip -- all up hill -- was a pleasure.  I got home and didn't feel gassed.  Essentially, my experience is e-bikes are hill busters -- and that's exactly what I wanted from it.  I don't think twice about riding where I live now.

7 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Congrats!!  Yeah, I'm really enjoying my bike a lot.  Rode it 20 miles over the weekend and for 2/3 of the trip I could have been on my tourer and would have noticed a diff.  But man, that last part of the trip -- all up hill -- was a pleasure.  I got home and didn't feel gassed.  Essentially, my experience is e-bikes are hill busters -- and that's exactly what I wanted from it.  I don't think twice about riding where I live now.

We're going for a ride manana. I got my new gloves and shorts from Aerotech, and hopefully things will go smoother this time.

My poor wife, I have an efficient pedal stroke. She used to always catch up on the hills. But now, unless it's steep, I just keep going. We haven't ridden in years, and this is hard for her. I've been thinking about getting her a Copenhagen wheel, or something.

3 hours ago, late said:

OK, it looks like I have the Performance Line. I saw a Youtube review, and that's what it had. Same model, but on my bike the Bosch unit says Shimano Steps instead of which model, so I am not 100%

Shimano Steps is DIFFERENT then Bosch electric systems.  This link might help as well as these images.  It also looks like Felt used to use Bosch in 2015 (the 95) versus the Steps in 2019 (the Sport-E 50)

Shimano usually looks like this:

image.png.0c8fdb07fbb7d9cc058cdfae50dc5b37.png

image.png.0b130d7743ff629328b2b3a49031b867.png

While Bosch generally looks like this:

image.png.f37dc70ceea4b80f5929c86c5204fac1.png

image.png.b98c6f9070096d358a117a72e66922f9.png

Dear @MickinMD,

We are kind of on the leading edge of this, and the whole thing is a hot mess.  They worked out a whole "categories" by power and max speed system here, and the people on the actual bikes ignore it. There's no enforcement, so why wouldn't they.

It's gonna take some people dying before it gets proper attention, and now that they are available as rentals (JUMP bikes by Uber), that's not gonna take very long.  I think the last thing I read in the bike new products news was someone rolling out a new e-bike that tops out at 50 mph.

In the meantime, while it sorts itself out, be careful and keep your head on a swivel.

Respectfully,

PageinCA