Do you believe in fate?

jsharr

Are somethings meant to happen?

I believe I was brought into this world on a predetermined date, and that I will leave this world on a predetermined date, over which I have little or no control.  Between those two points, I think that each person has the ability to rise up, or sink down to whatever level they want, within reason.  

I do not see someone born into an isolated tribe on an island or in a rain forest with little or no contact with the outside world rising up to rule a great nation, but I could see that person rising up to oversee their tribe or a collection of tribes.

What are your thougths on this?

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I believe I was brought into this world on a predetermined date, and that I will leave this world on a predetermined date, over which I have little or no control.

I believe that this is called predestination.  And no since I have a free will and I live around other with free will I do not believe in fate or predestination.  

• Heart 1

I think that is a load of horse crap, you think the gods give a whit about what happens, to people? Certainly not about the animals or to nature or whatnot, but humans, that is a big deal?  “Yes Gladys, my PRI was really acting up at the bridge club, I don’t think they want me back”. Yeah the gods are keeping tabs on who said what and when, c’mon. 

• Heart 1

1. Yeah, the moran thing.

2. Trying to not take it to P&R, but - as inherently spiritual beings simply sidetracked into this temporary human mess, our true existence is not confined by time or space.  So in our more permanent existence there is no birth or death date.  Everything just kind of happens, not over time.  So it isn't fate or predestiny, it just is.  And, yes, as humans, we have the free will to muck it all up, so sure, we do change the course of events, but if they aren't truly defined by time or space, they just are, they aren't fate, and they are only destiny in so much that everything we're going to do already happened.

3. The islander example isn't destiny, it's opportunity.

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

2. Trying to not take it to P&R, but - as inherently spiritual beings simply sidetracked into this temporary human mess, our true existence is not confined by time or space.  So in our more permanent existence there is no birth or death date.  Everything just kind of happens, not over time.  So it isn't fate or predestiny, it just is.  And, yes, as humans, we have the free will to muck it all up, so sure, we do change the course of events, but if they aren't truly defined by time or space, they just are, they aren't fate, and they are only destiny in so much that everything we're going to do already happened.

But, an almighty creator would not just be able to but also seemingly HAVE to, as RG states, "give a whit about what happens to people" (and animals and every atom in the Universe).  It then comes down to how intrusive that superbeing wants to be, and it seems they might just have the time (infinite), bandwidth (infinite) and energy (infinite) to be completely in control.

Right?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

But, an almighty creator would not just be able to but also seemingly HAVE to, as RG states, "give a whit about what happens to people" (and animals and every atom in the Universe).  It then comes down to how intrusive that superbeing wants to be, and it seems they might just have the time (infinite), bandwidth (infinite) and energy (infinite) to be completely in control.

Right?

Just because It can, doesn't mean It wants to.  Really, why would it?  

And why would It have to care?  Probably be amused by is more like it.  My particular understanding says that I am by nature in some way part of that creator, so it's me, too, laughing about what a clueless dolt I am.  What I do here isn't the result of a Crerator being intrusive, but it more likely intrudes on that Creator.

Do you believe in fate?

I have in my life had a couple of significant improbable coincidences that I've been a part of which seem like fate.  But then, it's really hard to imagine that a god would involve himself in my matters that, while very significant to me, don't mean shit for the other 107 billion people to have walked this world.  So, no.  

• Heart 1

Just now, AirwickWithCheese said:

You are on the right track Jsharr. You'd have to give me more of your thoughts on predetermined. Predetermined is not the same as predestined which eliminates free will. 

I am busy building my squirrel shaped pool in the backyard. 

Are you a dolt?  A predetermination is the action that creates predestination. 

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I think that is a load of horse crap, you think the gods give a whit about what happens, to people? Certainly not about the animals or to nature or whatnot, but humans, that is a big deal?  “Yes Gladys, my PRI was really acting up at the bridge club, I don’t think they want me back”. Yeah the gods are keeping tabs on who said what and when, c’mon. 

People have a really hard time with believing this is all there is.