I am buying a watermelon today

AirwickWithCheese

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have been buying them for a couple months now. They were from Honduras but now I’m getting them from Florida. The LGS is selling them for $4.50. They are really sweet and good. Aldi and Walmarts are selling them for $7.00.

Do not buy from Honduras. 

Love,

Cheese

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I ate it before it was cold enough. I'd give it a B, but then a C when you factor in price. 

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...you can't grow a decent watermelon in a greenhouse.  Everyone except you and the organic food hippies knows this.

... a properly grown, perfectly field ripened watermelon does not require chilling to be firm, sweet and delicious. Everyone except you and the organic food hippies knows this.:rolleyes:

Melons

Environmental Preferences

LIGHT: Sunny. SOIL: Well-drained with moderate organic matter; sandy.

FERTILITY: Medium. pH: 6.0 to 7.5 TEMPERATURE: Hot (70 to 85°F). MOISTURE: Average

Cultural Practices

Muskmelons and watermelons are warm-season crops requiring a long growing season of 80 to 100 days from seed to fruit.

Most present varieties are not well suited to small gardens because of the space requirement. Newer bush varieties are available for use in small gardens.

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/426/426-406/426-406_pdf.pdf

...all of these things I highlighted would argue that you can't grow a decent watermelon in a greenhouse.  If you could give them enough space under glass, and keep it hot enough, you might. But then your $7 watermelon would probably cost $20.

Just now, Page Turner said:

...all of these things I highlighted would argue that you can't grow a decent watermelon in a greenhouse.  If you could give them enough space under glass, and keep it hot enough, you might. But then your $7 watermelon would probably cost $20.

Screw you, Page Turner

• Whatever 1

...you're welcome. :) Have I ever mentioned how good the local watermelons are here, when July and August rolls around ?  They are the stuff of dreams and epic adventures.  There's a melon called "Imagination" that has to be eaten to be believed. So sweet, so crisp, so juicy and flavorful....I guess those don't show up much in Greeneville, huh ? :( 

• Haha 1

I bought another watermelon yesterday. The grandkids will be here tomorrow. I also bought some giant strawberries and more bananas. The LGS has been getting some amazing corn on the cob. I would never buy it from a grocery store before, especially in the off season but I don’t know where he gets it. It’ snot as good as fresh from the garden but it’s getting close. The GKs love corn on the cob.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1