Ken Jennings on James Holzhauer

Road Runner

https://www.wired.com/story/ken-jennings-james-holzhauer-jeopardy/

Ken Jennings: First of all, I’m just gobsmacked by James. It's absolutely insane what he's doing. Like, I thought I had seen everything on Jeopardy!. And this is something I would have thought was just impossible, these numbers. Statistically1, he’s playing at as high a level as anyone who’s ever played the game. And then he’s got these incredibly confident wagers. He’s maximizing money. He can make two or three times what any other player ever has with that same level of play, which again is top-shelf. He’s as good as anybody.

I’ve always wanted to see somebody play that way, you know? I remember as a kid doing the math and figuring out how much somebody could win on Jeopardy!, if they got every question, and got all the Daily Doubles last, and they bet everything on them. Like, wow, look at that number2. Did I actually think we would see someone try that? No, I would not.

• Awesome 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am happy for Alex, that he has something to take his mind off his health problems. You can tell he is loving it!  And it is not his money! :D

I also like watching the other player's reactions.  The two ladies from Wednesday night couldn't stop staring at him after Final Jeopardy was over!  I think they were in love!   :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I also like watching the other player's reactions.  The two ladies from Wednesday night couldn't stop staring at him after Final Jeopardy was over!  I think they were in love!   :D

The grad student in the middle made a valiant effort. Yeah, you can’t help but be in awe when you just get totally flattened. It reminds me of this little league team that would just flatten us every time. You were a hero if you managed a foul tip off their star pitcher. It was nuts!  For LJ and kazoo, i think it was Linesville. 

53 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

i think it was Linesville. 

The home of Lynn Jones.  1979 Detroit Tigers Rookie of the Year.  World Series ring as an outfielder with The KC Royals in 1985.  First base coach for Boston when they won the World Series 2004.  Returned to coach at his alma mater, Thiel College, in 2013.  His slightly older brother George played for the Yankees.

Linesville was in our HS conference.  I played against Lynn when he was a senior and I was a freshman.