Where is ShootingStar?

AirwickWithCheese

I've been nearly homeless for the past wk.  My place flooded with a malfunctioning dishwasher..water affected several suites below me.

An appliance repair person cast all dishwashers as having problems.  The computerized ones (which mine was), the circuit board can short circuit, causing dishwasher to turn on ...which mine did by itself in middle of night...and poured out water.?  Or more rarely fires can happen automatically. 

Repairs still not yet started because of RFP to contractors.  

• Sad 10

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...this is exactly why I've never had a dishwasher.  That, and the girl I used to know who turned me on to the joy of hand washing your dishes.

Unfortunately dearie still wants a dishwasher....I have to think about all this.  Tell me of all your dishwasher experiences....how long you've had yours function well, etc.

...I've had to repair and install a few for other people.  The older ones were pretty simple to figure out, and the major problem always seemed to be that the drain hose or the drain plumbing itself would get stopped up with food gunk and flood the kitchen.  The installation of an air gap on the sink deck is supposed to help remedy that issue. If you're quick on the draw, you can shut off the water to the machine, and stop the machine mid-cycle so you can at least siphon the water out yourself into buckets and not flood the kitchen floor.  But usually people just go off and leave the things running, so that doesn't work, mostly.

The newer computerized ones are a mystery to me, but my brother in law has had a couple of them in his house in Marin (I think Bosch).  They call the repair guy a lot, and he doesn't always get it fixed on the first visit.

They do seem to get the dishes clean, and they use very hot water, so it kills any germs you're worried about.  I can get the dishes clean enough washing them by hand in the sink, and I use less water and energy doing so.  Also I'm cheap to repair so far.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I've been nearly homeless for the past wk.  My place flooded with a malfunctioning dishwasher..water affected several suites below me.

An appliance repair person cast all dishwashers as having problems.  The computerized ones (which mine was), the circuit board can short circuit, causing dishwasher to turn on ...which mine did by itself in middle of night...and poured out water.?  Or more rarely fires can happen automatically. 

Repairs still not yet started because of RFP to contractors.  

I'm no expert but that sounds like a communist plot to me.

• Haha 1

My neighbor just bought new appliances this winter..she opted out of the hood vent/microwave combo keeping her counter top microwave :wacko: instead up graded her dishwasher..when they installed it they installed an alarm as well because THIS MODEL WAS PRONE TO FILL VALVE FAILURE...wtf they didn't mention that when she bought it...I think she waited 3 weeks to use it cos she was skeered.  Fill valves do fail :(. Sorry Shootingstar.

• Sad 2

As awful as the flood was, I'm glad it wasn't a fire. But what a lot of bother to deal with.  I've had the same dishwasher for the 20 years I've lived here,  but I don't think I've used it in the last 15 plus years.

26 minutes ago, Kirby said:

As awful as the flood was, I'm glad it wasn't a fire. But what a lot of bother to deal with.  I've had the same dishwasher for the 20 years I've lived here,  but I don't think I've used it in the last 15 plus years.

I thought I would never become wedded to a dishwasher since I washed my dishes in my lst condo home for 14 yrs. before I sold and eventually got the present one...

16 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I thought I would never become wedded to a dishwasher since I washed my dishes in my lst condo home for 14 yrs. before I sold and eventually got the present one...

I use mine a lot as standing over the sink kills my back. To stop feeling guilty about it I remember that using a dishwasher uses less water than hand-washing and does render the dishes sterile.

The most reliable, and probably the most expensive is the Miele brand as they are made to last for twenty years.

"We are the only manufacturer in our branch of industry to test products such as our washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and ovens to the equivalent up to 20 years' use."

https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/good-reasons-for-choosing-miele-441.htm

We are the only manufacturer in our branch of industry to test products such as our washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and ovens to the eent up to 20 years' use. re the only manufacturer in our branch of industry to test products such as our washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and ovens to the equivalent up to 20 y only manufacturer in our branch of industry to test products such as our washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and ovens to the equivalent up to 20 years' use. e the only manufacturer in our branch of industry to test products such as our washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and ovens to the equivalent up to 20 years' use. 

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...  Besides, that's what dogs are for, licking the plates clean.

52 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I have turned over a new leaf. 

4 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Getting ready for my picnic with Kirby.  :slow-dance-smiley:

...a picnic with @Kirby .  Is that what you tell the dogs when they look up at you with hope in their eyes, thinking they'll have a plate or two to lick clean ?  If this is true, you are a cruel, unfeeling monster in their eyes. :( 

• Heart 1