Cannondale Synapse Neo SE

Razors Edge

...seems pretty interesting from an e-road bike with some off-road capability.  From Bicycling mag (there is a mag :D ) :

If you’re a fan of e-bikes, your relationship with Cannondale’s Synapse NEO will be love at first sight. If you’ve already claimed your disapproval of these zippy machines, whatever you do, do not take this bike for a test ride—you’ll most likely change your mind. Bosch’s Active Line Plus motor delivers up to 250 watts of pedal assist, to a maximum speed of 20 mph. It does so in such a smooth, seamless way you can allow yourself to forget that you’re getting a little help. Of course, if you crank it up to turbo mode, it will be hard to ignore. But to cruise in eco mode is to get a sneak peak at what it feels like to be really, really fit. Cruising along the roads surrounding the Laguna Seca Raceway, I was riding like I was at peak fitness again. The motor kicked in nicely to provide a little extra boost, but has minimal drag so you can easily ride past the 20mph limit without feeling like you’ve hit a wall as soon as you cross that threshold. If you’ve ridden other e-bikes, you know that feeling, and it’s not a great experience.

The Synapse NEO SE is the dirt-curious sibling in the Synapse NEO family. Outfitted with a SRAM Apex 1x drivetrain, 650b wheels, and cushy 47mm tires, it’s ready to go just about anywhere you could hope to ride a drop-bar bike. Dirt roads and trails are a no-brainer, and thanks to the pedal assist, the fat tires are hardly a concern when you hit the pavement. In fact, you’re treated to a pleasantly comfortable ride—which you’ll pay a small price for when it comes to precise steering, but as long as you aren’t trying to channel your inner Valentino Rossi, you’ll be in good shape.

Price: $4,400
Weight: 42 lb.

image.png.834c63cccf98e0bebeb243ea269a6bf4.png

I have been considering the $1,700 Topstone as a gravel/commuter/kickaround bike, but man, this looks like it is all that in an ebike as well.  I just wonder how well an ebike holds up to the vibration & beating off-road conditions might dole out. Clearly, they have eMTB bikes now, so the tech is there already, but at 42 lbs, I wonder how much that hurts the adventuring - especially when semi-loaded.

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...seems pretty interesting from an e-road bike with some off-road capability.  From Bicycling mag (there is a mag :D ) :

If you’re a fan of e-bikes, your relationship with Cannondale’s Synapse NEO will be love at first sight. If you’ve already claimed your disapproval of these zippy machines, whatever you do, do not take this bike for a test ride—you’ll most likely change your mind. Bosch’s Active Line Plus motor delivers up to 250 watts of pedal assist, to a maximum speed of 20 mph. It does so in such a smooth, seamless way you can allow yourself to forget that you’re getting a little help. Of course, if you crank it up to turbo mode, it will be hard to ignore. But to cruise in eco mode is to get a sneak peak at what it feels like to be really, really fit. Cruising along the roads surrounding the Laguna Seca Raceway, I was riding like I was at peak fitness again. The motor kicked in nicely to provide a little extra boost, but has minimal drag so you can easily ride past the 20mph limit without feeling like you’ve hit a wall as soon as you cross that threshold. If you’ve ridden other e-bikes, you know that feeling, and it’s not a great experience.

The Synapse NEO SE is the dirt-curious sibling in the Synapse NEO family. Outfitted with a SRAM Apex 1x drivetrain, 650b wheels, and cushy 47mm tires, it’s ready to go just about anywhere you could hope to ride a drop-bar bike. Dirt roads and trails are a no-brainer, and thanks to the pedal assist, the fat tires are hardly a concern when you hit the pavement. In fact, you’re treated to a pleasantly comfortable ride—which you’ll pay a small price for when it comes to precise steering, but as long as you aren’t trying to channel your inner Valentino Rossi, you’ll be in good shape.

Price: $4,400
Weight: 42 lb.

image.png.834c63cccf98e0bebeb243ea269a6bf4.png

I have been considering the $1,700 Topstone as a gravel/commuter/kickaround bike, but man, this looks like it is all that in an ebike as well.  I just wonder how well an ebike holds up to the vibration & beating off-road conditions might dole out. Clearly, they have eMTB bikes now, so the tech is there already, but at 42 lbs, I wonder how much that hurts the adventuring - especially when semi-loaded.

The Orbea Gain is $1100 less and 14 lbs lighter.

bi168y05-graphite~anthracite_fix.jpg