bunny trail miles & such

bikeman564™

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Zero bike miles since we were busy glamping this weekend up in Shenandoah NP. We got in a couple hikes, though, so that was nice! @jsharr can only dream of the high level of comfort and sophistication we bring to a campground!

IMG_7322.thumb.JPG.181efe4ab2b69c3d5ee6a251356f3ba2.JPG

IMG_7306.thumb.JPG.a94aa5a38c6534d8232f1a0ef7ddd87f.JPG

IMG_7293.thumb.JPG.63902164c1df97366e088dd6bb8c8957.JPG

IMG_7270.thumb.JPG.2071b75c3809054813c698ceabc2c0d9.JPG

Your rain fly makes me weep.  Also, why does your ground cloth stick out past your tent like that?  I would make my scouts fold that thing under the tent.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Your rain fly makes me weep.  Also, why does your ground cloth stick out past your tent like that?  I would make my scouts fold that thing under the tent.

If you look closely, you might be able to see that my wife is still in the tent setting up the blow up mattress (see, super plush!), so I was just waiting until she came out to do the final adjustments to the tarp, since she had me shuttling back-and-forth to the car to grab pillows, blankets, etc, and I didn't want to muddy up my fingers yet.

But the rain fly makes me sad too :(  It is not a great one, and recently, one of the fiberglass poles has cracked, so I rigged up a temporary fix, but it gave up again this weekend.  Had it rained (it did sprinkle slightly), we would have had some water getting inside through the front door area.  That tent has seen a little too much sunlight as well.  There seem to be some micro-holes on the sides that you can see if the light is hitting it just right. Not sure if those have always been there or are a result of a lot of time out in the sun wearing the fabric down.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you look closely, you might be able to see that my wife is still in the tent setting up the blow up mattress (see, super plush!), so I was just waiting until she came out to do the final adjustments to the tarp, since she had me shuttling back-and-forth to the car to grab pillows, blankets, etc, and I didn't want to muddy up my fingers yet.

But the rain fly makes me sad too :(  It is not a great one, and recently, one of the fiberglass poles has cracked, so I rigged up a temporary fix, but it gave up again this weekend.  Had it rained (it did sprinkle slightly), we would have had some water getting inside through the front door area.  That tent has seen a little too much sunlight as well.  There seem to be some micro-holes on the sides that you can see if the light is hitting it just right. Not sure if those have always been there or are a result of a lot of time out in the sun wearing the fabric down.

Look at tents by Eureka.  Not the lightest, but really nice flys on them.  I use a Eureka Taron 3.  It is roomy for two adults and has two doors and two vestibules on the fly, so boot and packs can stay out of the tent but still be under the fly.  Neither of those are mine.  I stake and guy my fly so that it is almost silent even in high wind.

Image result for eureka taron 3

44 minutes ago, smudge said:

Why is the tarp not tucked under a bad thing? Encourages rain to flow under the tent?

Exactly that.  Rain will run down the tent then between the tarp and the floor, wetting everything inside.

Kind of like tucking rain pants into rubber boots

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

Look at tents by Eureka.  Not the lightest, but really nice flys on them.  I use a Eureka Taron 3.  It is roomy for two adults and has two doors and two vestibules on the fly, so boot and packs can stay out of the tent but still be under the fly.  Neither of those are mine.  I stake and guy my fly so that it is almost silent even in high wind.

I still have my Eureka Timberline that I got in 1988.  A great tent.  As we rarely camp out of a car, when we became a family, we went to two tents we could carry, instead of one monster rent