I had a broken elbow

jsharr

on a wonky pipe.  Dug it out, cut it off, put on a new elbow and replaced the sprinkler head.  Dug up four more heads and got them back to grade and plumb and true.  Still have at least five more heads to look at, but it is getting dark and there is always tomorrow.

I enjoy doing tasks around the house that many of my friends pay others to do.  Between mowing the yard, resetting 10 sprinkler heads, changing the oil on my lawn equipment and clearing the back shower drain, I probably saved $250 or $300 in the last two days.

• Heart 2

Best part was getting to teach Ryan how to be self sufficient.  He helped me replace the heads.  He is the one that cut the old pipe, got the right fittings for me, etc.   We took a sprinkler head apart so he could understand the simple hydraulics involved and he learned how to replace and adjust a spray nozzle.

The boys mowed and edged the back yard and blew off the back patio while Martha and I were at the LGC getting our flower power on.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Best part was getting to teach Ryan how to be self sufficient.  He helped me replace the heads.  He is the one that cut the old pipe, got the right fittings for me, etc.   We took a sprinkler head apart so he could understand the simple hydraulics involved and he learned how to replace and adjust a spray nozzle.

The boys mowed and edged the back yard and blew off the back patio while Martha and I were at the LGC getting our flower power on.

On Easter Sunday?   

• Heart 1

I tried like hell to teach my kids how to do stuff. My son told me awhile back that he wished he had payed more attention. But he at least learned enough to now use youtube to do a lot of his own work.

I now convert all jobs to overtime. How much it will cost to pay someone to do the job, how long it would take me to do the job, how many hours of overtime I have to work to earn the money to pay someone to do the job.

Would I rather spend the time doing the job, or working overtime ?

I am blessed to have this choice.  :hapydance:

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Further said:

I tried like hell to teach my kids how to do stuff. My son told me awhile back that he wished he had payed more attention. But he at least learned enough to now use youtube to do a lot of his own work.

I now convert all jobs to overtime. How much it will cost to pay someone to do the job, how long it would take me to do the job, how many hours of overtime I have to work to earn the money to pay someone to do the job.

Would I rather spend the time doing the job, or working overtime ?

I am blessed to have this choice.  :hapydance:

I am salaried.  I work until the work is done and the pay is the same whether I get it done in one hour or ten.   

Just now, jsharr said:

I am salaried.  I work until the work is done and the pay is the same whether I get it done in one hour or ten.   

Me too, but I can use (unofficially) comp time.  So, if by Thursday I've worked 35 hours and need to come in late on Friday, no big deal.  Even better, if I work (as I regularly do) 40+ hours, I just save the time and when I take a day or two off, or there is a holiday I use the comp time.  I plan to cash out several hundred hours of my vacation time soon.

• Heart 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

Me too, but I can use (unofficially) comp time.  So, if by Thursday I've worked 35 hours and need to come in late on Friday, no big deal.  Even better, if I work (as I regularly do) 40+ hours, I just save the time and when I take a day or two off, or there is a holiday I use the comp time.  I plan to cash out several hundred hours of my vacation time soon.

I am in the office about 50 hours per week and I work from home most mornings, some evenings and some weekends.  I bet 55 hours is a fair number to use, but I also decompress by spending time online.   I have never used all my vacation.  I am going in at 10 AM tomorrow since the boys do not have school and Wade does not have to be to work until 10.  I leave early as need be for Scouts, or family events.  We are a small company and everyone works long hours

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We are a small company and everyone works long hours

Yeah, we're a huge hospital.  I think my hospital has over 16k, and we're the smaller of the two large hospitals.

My wife works for a start up.  She works too many hours.  It has eased up over the past year or so.

They have an odd vaca policy - there isn't one.  You ask for time off, as much as you want, and it's generally granted.  

Just now, Square Wheels said:

Yeah, we're a huge hospital.  I think my hospital has over 16k, and we're the smaller of the two large hospitals.

My wife works for a start up.  She works too many hours.  It has eased up over the past year or so.

They have an odd vaca policy - there isn't one.  You ask for time off, as much as you want, and it's generally granted.  

We are much the same.  The CEO tells me he wants to make me rich so I can quit and be a full time Scout Master.

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

The CEO tells me he wants to make me rich so I can quit and be a full time Scout Master.

That would be awesome!

My wife has a ton of stock.  She's one of the originals, they have about 50 or so people now.  She's a VP.

If (a huge if) they go public, we could be sitting pretty.  She suspects it will more likely be a buyout.  No idea if that would include buying the stock she has.

For now, we trudge along.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

That would be awesome!

My wife has a ton of stock.  She's one of the originals, they have about 50 or so people now.  She's a VP.

If (a huge if) they go public, we could be sitting pretty.  She suspects it will more likely be a buyout.  No idea if that would include buying the stock she has.

For now, we trudge along.

I wish her and you luck and I am in a similar position.  Feast or famine.

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

We will stay where we are until Ryan graduates no matter what happens.  What then, I know not.

My youngest is 18 and finishing high school soon.  If we come in to lots of money, we will likely retire now and somewhere warm.  We will build a house with at least three bedrooms, our children will always be welcome, regardless of their age.

What is more likely is I will work until 67, then retire somewhere warm.

• Heart 1