Speedplay pedals?

Nate

Ok...I've been thinking about Speedplay. I've been riding Look pedals since 2008. I switched to them for racing

Listen, I rode toe straps longer than Sean Kelly. I didn't even clip in until the late 90s. Then it was SPDs because I could walk in the shoes better

So now I'm wondering if some of these knee problems I'm having might go away with a different kind of pedal

Anybody got any thoughts?

seriously, I'd like to hear from anybody who rides Speedplays....does the extra 6 degrees of float make a lot of difference?

I like root beer floats.  I rode straps and cleats for years.  Started in 84 and did not go clipless until 2006.  I started with SPD and then added a set of Look Keos and then traded those for a set of Shimano Ultegra SPD-SLs.  Never road Speedplay.  Does your LBS have a bike set up so you can test pedals?  Mine does.  Might stop by on a slow day and see what you think.

I mostly ride SPD for my commuter, but when I got a nicer bike last year I was debating between speedplay and Look. I was talked into speedplay by a few people.

I honestly haven't ridden them that much, so my info is 'light' at best, but I was specifically told to go with them because of knee issues. My few rides have given me some numb feet, but they were cold weather rides and I didn't really ride them enough to get used to them.

Look closely at the weight limits on the pedals if you go that route....one thing I noticed when looking through the various pedals was that many of them had very low upper weight limits.

I could maybe ask Merv if I could test some out, but I think I'd need to buy a set of pedals, and probably a new pair of shoes to make this happen. Then if it worked, I'd need another set of pedals for my other bike.

If it comes down to spending $300 or quit riding bikes, I'm going to try the Speedplays as the last resort, but if it really might help, then I should make  the move this season before I tear my knee up again

I've been running Speedplay Frog's for a long time, I like them for my knees.  Can't talk about their roadbike specific pedals, but the Frogs take some getting used to because there is no center tension, your foot is free to rotate on them, but they are the easiest in and out of pedals I've ever used.  The only reason I would consider switching is sometimes it would be nice to have pedals that also have a platform for when I do something stupid like go camping and take the bikes but forget to grab cycling shoes, kind of like I did this past weekend.

good stuff, KT.  I forgot about that with Speedplays. Some of the super light ones for racing aren't made for big assed guys like me to go stomping over steep ridges with.

My buddy who helped me get ready to go race rode them and he really liked them, which is what started me thinking about going Speedplay a couple years ago. Then I saw the cost and noticed that I'd only be buying 6 more degrees of float 

of course 6 degrees can make a lot of difference

I mostly ride SPD for my commuter, but when I got a nicer bike last year I was debating between speedplay and Look. I was talked into speedplay by a few people.

I honestly haven't ridden them that much, so my info is 'light' at best, but I was specifically told to go with them because of knee issues. My few rides have given me some numb feet, but they were cold weather rides and I didn't really ride them enough to get used to them.

Look closely at the weight limits on the pedals if you go that route....one thing I noticed when looking through the various pedals was that many of them had very low upper weight limits.

When I've had trouble with numb feet, it has always been the shoes that caused the problem, not the pedals.  If you have the right shoes, the feel on the bottom of the feet shouldn't really change with pedals.

there is no center tension, your foot is free to rotate on them

That's what all the Speedplay pedals are like, right?

And Indy, you had trouble with knees and Speedplays helped?

When I've had trouble with numb feet, it has always been the shoes that caused the problem, not the pedals.  If you have the right shoes, the feel on the bottom of the feet shouldn't really change with pedals.

I always use one right shoe and one left shoe.  Am I doing it wrong?  

That's what all the Speedplay pedals are like, right?

And Indy, you had trouble with knees and Speedplays helped?

My knees are freaking toast, I tore both of them up swimming in college.

I don't know what the road ones are like, but I think they are similar, the entry engagment is different though.

Time pedals (at least the MTB ones) are simmilar in feeling.  If I switch again, it will be to try those as I think I can get those with platforms too.

And I outfitted all of my bikes with the Frogs for less I think than $100 as I got them all off e-bay.  A few of them I picked up cheap because they had the pedals but not the shoe cleats which is fine since I have more bikes than shoes.

But that has also been probably almost 10 years ago.

of course 6 degrees can make a lot of difference

The float felt very significant to me. At times it felt like too much.

Good point. When I first had an issue (back when I first started riding clipless) it turned out to be the shoes. I barely rode that much....and should really get back to it. It was a brand new pair of shoes I bought for the new bike/pedals too, so it very well could be the shoes.

The float felt very significant to me. At times it felt like too much.

well, I just might try a set of these if I haven't got my knee straitened out by July.

Ok, I love my speedplay pedals.  No nonsense in terms of angling a pedal to get step-in, they are double sided and you just step down and you are in.  You get float, real float, nice cornering clearance if you are into that. and are light enough.  Easy enough to pop out of, too.  No-brainer on this one, I say go ahead if it will save riding for you.

This is long, but worth a read:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/learn/speedplay-zero-stainless-pedals

Nate - if you are interested in trying them out I have a set I'm not doing anything with.  I think they're X2's.  They came with a used bike I bought from a friend about 5 years ago.  The pedals have a few hundred miles on them and the cleats are still in the box.  I've thought about trying them out but I'd have to buy new shoes to do that and I have a hard time pulling that trigger just for the experiment.  I am pretty happy with my SPD's.

If you promised to return them when done with your tryout, I'd be happy to send them to you.  They're just collecting dust right now.

If, interested just message me your address. 

Kzoo, that's a nice offer, but I can afford to take a gamble on these. I think I'll try and set up my Specialized with these a little later this month when I can get out to see Merv

I rode Speedplays for ten years and loved them.  Started with X3's and replaced them with Zeros.  At first they feel like you're sliding on ice when clipped in but you get used to the extra float.  They clip in and out easier than other pedal systems.  Buy the optional cleat covers.

I rode Speedplays for ten years and loved them.  Started with X3's and replaced them with Zeros.  At first they feel like you're sliding on ice when clipped in but you get used to the extra float.  They clip in and out easier than other pedal systems.  Buy the optional cleat covers.

Oh yeah, you gotta have cleat covers.  Get the rubber, though, the plastic is slidey.  My zero's are nice.

I've ridden on Speedplay X's for over a decade now. They work for me. I recently found out that Speedplay makes a shim kit for leg-length discrepancies and installed a couple of shims on my right shoe. So far so good.

Many of the Speedplay pedals require bearing lubrication every 1K miles. Harbor Freight sells a little grease gun for $5 that makes it a fast and easy job.

The cleats are expensive so make sure to get some cleat covers for walking around to keep them from wearing out. The X's also clog up when walking in dirt. A small allen wrench or piece of a broke spoke can clean them out very easily.

For my touring bike I use Crank Brother Candy pedals so that I can wear MTB shoes with recessed cleats.

thanks for all the information. The article RG posted was really good, too.

One of the more useful threads I've posted here in a while

after reading the stuff that's out there its good to hear form a number of folks who've actually ridden them for a while

thanks

nate

I like the covers as they prevent the cleat retention screw heads from getting worn down. My first pair of cleats had to be cut off with a dremel.

I used to use cleat covers, but found that I was spending more money on covers, than I was just replacing the cleats.

I don't find them tough to walk short distances in, but I grew up walking around in alpine ski boots across icy parking lots.