Coming Out of Softball Retirement...

ChrisL

Reluctantly but I told my daughter I was available if needed.  She told me yesterday there is a double header this weekend and the alternate pitcher can’t make it....  

I threw a little yesterday, pitched about 50 pitches and fielded some grounders.  My  arm feels good and no soreness today. Heel spur not aggravated either.

I  havent swung a bat in over a year tho. That will be interesting...

• Heart 4
  • Envious 1

24 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Just fly @Parr8hed 's Emmy out to help you.

Hired Gun Softball!!!!  I know boat owners who would do this for big races.  Hire some "pros".  I got lots of free rides on some cool boats, and dranks a bunch of free drinks, but I was never paid.

36 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Reluctantly but I told my daughter I was available if needed.  She told me yesterday there is a double header this weekend and the alternate pitcher can’t make it....  

I've never heard of a co-ed softball team being short on guys!  Man, that's truly messed up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I've never heard of a co-ed softball team being short on guys!  Man, that's truly messed up.

Yeah one guy dropped off the 1st week and that only left one additional guy besides me.  That’s why they put me on the roster.

Surprisingly we have enough girls this season which is usually the issue.

32 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Just fly @Parr8hed 's Emmy out to help you.

Yeah she can burn em in there but can she lob them in?  

One of the funniest things is watching a fast pitch or baseball player adapt to slow pitch.  It’s hard for them to wait on the ball as they are used to swinging nearly upon release.  My son jacked the ball foul for 1/2 a season before he got the timing down. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah one guy dropped off the 1st week and that only left one additional guy besides me.  That’s why they put me on the roster.

Surprisingly we have enough girls this season which is usually the issue.

ANOTHER reason CA wins :D

More than enough young ladies to easily create co-ed teams!  

Just now, Razors Edge said:

ANOTHER reason CA wins :D

More than enough young ladies to easily create co-ed teams!  

We recruited my sons GF to play and she’s having a blast! She’s not athletic at all but one day my son was being a smart ass (well he’s one every day) and she chucked a mostly empty water bottle at him with good aim & velocity!

My SIL and I both turned to look at each other and said oh damn she has an arm!  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah she can burn em in there but can she lob them in?  

One of the funniest things is watching a fast pitch or baseball player adapt to slow pitch.  It’s hard for them to wait on the ball as they are used to swinging nearly upon release.  My son jacked the ball foul for 1/2 a season before he got the timing down. 

Oh yea.  Like seeing our girls on Emmy's travel team face a good B pitcher and then go down and try to hit off a weaker C pitcher.  No need to call 1's and 2's because everything is a changeup!  Sometimes more speed is NOT the answer!

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Oh yea.  Like seeing our girls on Emmy's travel team face a good B pitcher and then go down and try to hit off a weaker C pitcher.  No need to call 1's and 2's because everything is a changeup!  Sometimes more speed is NOT the answer!

My sons HS Senior year they had a kid who could maybe pitch 65 mph follow him the games he didn’t finish.  Going from mid 80’s to mid 60’s generated a lot of favorable counts with the swing & misses and yanking the ball foul.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My sons HS Senior year they had a kid who could maybe pitch 65 mph follow him the games he didn’t finish.  Going from mid 80’s to mid 60’s generated a lot of favorable counts with the swing & misses and yanking the ball foul.

We do the same.  Emmy pitches a high of about 55 (doesn't sound all that fast to a baseball guy!) and she has a couple teammates that throw in the lowe 40's.  That's a huge difference at 40 feet.  We utilize that exact same strategy to get lots of easy grounders and/or pop ups depending on which pitcher. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We do the same.  Emmy pitches a high of about 55 (doesn't sound all that fast to a baseball guy!) and she has a couple teammates that throw in the lowe 40's.  That's a huge difference at 40 feet.  We utilize that exact same strategy to get lots of easy grounders and/or pop ups depending on which pitcher. 

I was a softball parent too.  I get it, shorter distance to the dish and step makes 55 look like 70!