New crystal.

12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Divers watches are the best watches

This technically isn't a diver.  It's not a screw-in crown.

I did replace the crystal gasket though.  

I replace a movement on a similar watch this Friday night.  It should be a riveting event.  ALL the cats go into jail during that time.

Shu Fang 

• Heart 1

My brother gave me a couple of his watches before he passed.  I wear one of them daily, a Citizen Eco Drive aviator model.  The black band has wear marks and there is a chip in the crystal.  I thought about replacing the band & crystal but that’s the way he gave it to me so I just wear it that way.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My brother gave me a couple of his watches before he passed.  I wear one of them daily, a Citizen Eco Drive aviator model.  The black band has wear marks and there is a chip in the crystal.  I thought about replacing the band & crystal but that’s the way he gave it to me so I just wear it that way.

I would do the same thing; I would leave the cosmetics be. 

The only thing you might need to change in the future is the capacitor that holds the charge.  Or, you could just replace the movement.

If you don't mind, can you post a picture of the watch?

Shu Fang

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

I would do the same thing; I would leave the cosmetics be. 

The only thing you might need to change in the future is the capacitor that holds the charge.  Or, you could just replace the movement.

If you don't mind, can you post a picture of the watch?

Shu Fang

6C117561-09A6-4879-B771-E0FC03B16B9B.jpeg

• Heart 3

40 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I really don’t know.... He was literally hours away from passing when he gave it to me. I know very little about the watch other than what’s on the face of it.

It would say on the back of the watch. But then again it does not matter because it is a memory and not a showoff piece! 

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

It would say on the back of the watch. But then again it does not matter because it is a memory and not a showoff piece! 

I have had it 3 years and never once looked at the back!  It’s a skyhawk and it says it’s stainless steel.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I have had it 3 years and never once looked at the back!  It’s a skyhawk and it says it’s stainless steel.

I have one that is a Skyhawk in stainless and in titanium. I love the Eco drive watches because I don't need a battery. Simple charge of the sun and go on your way.

Is yours also sun charged or battery?

29 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I have one that is a Skyhawk in stainless and in titanium. I love the Eco drive watches because I don't need a battery. Simple charge of the sun and go on your way.

Sun charged.  Not being snarky  but isn’t that what Eco Drive means?   I have a nice Seiko and a Tag & I have to replace batteries every few years. So far so good on this one!

8 hours ago, KrAzY said:

The paperwork that came with my Eco drive said any light would keep it charged. I didn’t want to wear it all the time and chance breaking it so I left it near a window planning to just wear it for special occasions. It stopped working. I figured “Oh well” it was a free watch, you get what you pay for.

Then I was talking with another cancer patient in the waiting room one time. He owns a jewelry store and sells Citizen watches. I told him mine quit on me. He said I need to wear it to keep it running, the movement of your arm is what keeps it running. He told me to put it on my wrist and move my wrist back and forth and it will start running. I didn’t believe him but I tried it just to prove him wrong. He wasn’t wrong. They lied, the light doesn’t charge the watch, it’s nothing but a timex self winding watch in a gold case.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The paperwork that came with my Eco drive said any light would keep it charged. I didn’t want to wear it all the time and chance breaking it so I left it near a window planning to just wear it for special occasions. It stopped working. I figured “Oh well” it was a free watch, you get what you pay for.

Then I was talking with another cancer patient in the waiting room one time. He owns a jewelry store and sells Citizen watches. I told him mine quit on me. He said I need to wear it to keep it running, the movement of your arm is what keeps it running. He told me to put it on my wrist and move my wrist back and forth and it will start running. I didn’t believe him but I tried it just to prove him wrong. He wasn’t wrong. They lied, the light doesn’t charge the watch, it’s nothing but a timex self winding watch in a gold case.

Eco drives are solar powered. They use a capacitor to store the energy. The funny thing is the technology used in watches for the rechargeable aspect; found in Seiko, Citizen, Casio (G-shock) and a few others is actually patented by Panasonic.

Seiko makes ones that use a kinetic system to charge the cell. Those require you to wear it. Depending on cell and efficiency of movement a day of wear can translate to 3-9 months of "charge"

My best guess is your window might of had a UV filter on it, causing it to not charge as well as when you wore it. An Eco-drive is only solar. 

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

My best guess is your window might of had a UV filter on it, causing it to not charge as well as when you wore it. An Eco-drive is only solar.

Mine says Eco-drive on the face and the paperwork that came with it said Eco-drive but when I picked it up and started to shake it, it started running. I didn’t have to pay for it so it’s no big deal but I would never buy one.

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The ones I have, have little solar panels in it. It has a small bar that shows what the battery power is. They say it will last about a year without sunlight.. I don't believe it.

I'll hunt it down and get a pic of it later. 

3 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

The ones I have, have little solar panels in it. It has a small bar that shows what the battery power is. They say it will last about a year without sunlight.. I don't believe it.

I'll hunt it down and get a pic of it later. 

I thought mine was bogus because I can’t see any solar panels. Mine quits running if I wear it to church and not wear it again until the next Sunday. It’s a pita to reset the time, month, and day. I reset the time and don’t worry about the rest. It’s jewlery, if you want to know the time buy a $10 Walmart digital watch or look at your phone.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I thought mine was bogus because I can’t see any solar panels. Mine quits running if I wear it to church and not wear it again until the next Sunday. It’s a pita to reset the time, month, and day. I reset the time and don’t worry about the rest. It’s jewlery, if you want to know the time buy a $10 Walmart digital watch or look at your phone.

If you look at the picture of mine there are no  noticeable solar panels but there is a battery dial.  I wear mine nearly every day for the past 3 years and the battery has been on full  since the day I got it.  My Seiko & Tag need a new battery every few years.

Solar, movement or both, don’t know but mine works.