So...I got a pedal question and well...Nate started it!!

petitepedal

So I use Crank Brothers Candies...on both road bikes...only ones I have ever used.  About a year after I got the Madone I had some foot issues and added inserts that have helped.  However, while I was having the issues one of the guys at the LBS(one of several LBS's that I went to, to try and get things working) Anyway...my right leg/knee seems to rotate in a figure 8 when I pedal....I never noticed this before he pointed it out...and I am wondering if it is related to using clipless pedals????  or what...maybe I should use different pedals...but I like having the mtn bike shoes...cos I still need to walk some of those hills....

Any ideas on that figure 8 issue.

when one leg takes a path like that, it is usually because your legs aren't the same length and the leg has to compensate. Your body will pronate or supinate the foot to try and correct this when you walk and you'll carry this over to the bike. They make shims to help even this out

its usually the longer of the 2 that does this

Jim Fixx the famous runner had a funny mannerism with his one arm when running and it turned out to be from this. His body was automatically compensating for being a bit off balance

Are you hips of vertebrae out of alignment?  Stand comfortably in front of a mirror.  Are your shoulders level?

shoulder won't always indicate whats going on in the hips.  Most of us collapse a little on one side, which can also be from tight ql muscles.  The best way to judge while standing is by placing index fingers on each hip point (illiac crest) you can then see if one finger is higher

ok, so I gotta ask,...could I have something tightened up in my lower back/or hips that's giving me trouble in the IT band and the teardrop muscle above my knee?

Your IT band could be tight for several reasons, one of them being an alignment issue, but the first thing I would try is to roll it out on a foam roller.  You can now buy them in sporting stores or even Target.

shoulder won't always indicate whats going on in the hips.  Most of us collapse a little on one side, which can also be from tight ql muscles.  The best way to judge while standing is by placing index fingers on each hip point (illiac crest) you can then see if one finger is higher

True, but many times that shows itself in what appears to be leg length differences and can early be spotted in uneven shoulders.  Many times we compensate for it by what appears to be a tilting our heads in a unconscious attempt to keep our brain aligned.  Sometime these things are very easily seen.  I'm not advocating self diagnosis but there can be clues that can be easily spotted.

• Heart 1

you crunchy granola munching nancies need to quit lilting around doing yougurt moves and just suck it up and deal with the pain.  I suggest you get rat trap pedals and ride barefoot all the way to namby pamby land.

that sounds like some good advice...where do they sell those Rat Trap pedals?

and I can't remember that old saying is it "No Brains, No Pain" or "No Grains, No Gains" ...or something like that? :scratch head:

that is neither me or my accent :P

wouldn't that be "neither me nor my accent"?

...just sayin'

I mean, what's the point of having a funny accent if you can't lord it over us with superior grammar, right?

that sounds like some good advice...where do they sell those Rat Trap pedals?

and I can't remember that old saying is it "No Brains, No Pain" or "No Grains, No Gains" ...or something like that? :scratch head:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VP-365-alloy-rat-trap-BMX-alloy-pedals-9-16-PURPLE-/200517234208

Purple should go well with your crown chakra 

wouldn't that be "neither me nor my accent"?

...just sayin'

I mean, what's the point of having a funny accent if you can't lord it over us with superior grammar, right?

Right, my typo darling