Are you management material?

Square Wheels

When my boss retired, i was the only one in outfit with rhe qualifications to take it.  I only took it becauseI qas afraid of what boob they put in here if I didn't.  My job is probably 40% management crap now and 60% fun stuff still.  At least once a week I remind the guys how I fell pm my sword to protect them.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am not management material. It would help if I was. 

Well, according to @maddmaxx logic, if you're not involved in management, you've got no right to bitch.  And if you find you're cynical about management because your experience tells you what really happens -- even if a manager starts out with all the best intentions -- you're an 'allduhsamer'.  And with a little luck, he'll fill in the blanks for you and create a conversation he can rebut.  Be like Max.

My experience from forty years of working is that its NOT the most qualified person that gets the management positions, its the ones that step up and takes them. I've been working here for over three years now, and I'm already more qualified to run the place over the people that have been running it for fifteen years. And the owner knows it. He also knows if I took over, the first thing I'd do is prune the fifteen year old dead wood. ;)

I have been in management since 1994.  I once aspired for the corner office & all that but i learned over the years the closer you are to the sun the hotter it gets!  

I actually had to let go my only employee yesterday. (I have about 15 contract staff)The young HR person said wow, you handled that really well, most managers  won’t even say anything but I didn’t even have to say anything... 

I’m thinking, you were probably in diapers when I fired my first person...

• Heart 1

We just had someone go back to the ranks at another site, and he is being replaced by someone who is snot that good. Word is the guy who stepped down was really good. But maybe both found their niches. I know I am happier as a Wally than I was as ted, the low level supervisor who everyone tells to go away on Dilbert. :D

A fellow chemistry teacher in my county was promoted to asst. principal and assigned to my school.  He was a wreck dealing with problem kids and parents almost all the time and would come up to my chemistry or physics classroom on occasion -especially when I was running a lab- to get his mind off his work.  A decade later, the same thing occurred with a physics teacher promoted to assistant principal.  Even though the union agreement required advance notice for administrators to enter a teacher's class, I told them to come in any time they wanted - they needed the escape and I was always doing my job and "in with the management" and had nothing to hide.

When I was offered an asst. principal position, I thought of those two and my previous career's experience as an industrial chief research chemist and immediately turned down the offer.  I was Lead Gifted and Talented Chemistry and Physics teacher in the state's biggest high school and there wasn't enough increase in salary for me to ditch the cream-of-the-crop kids and the athletes for dealing with problem kids and their problem parents.  You know you're a teacher when you meet the parents in a conference and immediately understand why their kid has behavioral problems.