Need a little help

sheep_herder

One of my tracfones needs to be replaced.  Here are some potential replacements that might fit my budget.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Iphone 6s space grey, Moto E5, Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown, Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit, or Moto G6.  I can probably supply more information if needed.

I'm still using an iphone 5S and have had no problems with it.  The camera is fine for quick pics, but not your kind of photography.  Here's a pic I took with the iphone.  What are you using it for?  If it's mainly phone calls and a little internet connection, any of them are probably fine.

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Airehead said:

iPhone 6 here. No complaints from me but I am not a fancy user. I rarely do more than phone or text. 

Ditto.  I have an iphone 5 and 6 plus and am happy with both.  The 6 is a good size.  I also use the internet a lot and listen to music over bluetooth and use the gps for bike rides and walks - does it all at once with aplomb.

• Awesome 1

This may evolve into a Ford vs Chevy type discussion...

I had several Samsung Galaxy phones and liked them all.  They worked well for me.  My current lob gave me an I phone 7 and it works great.  It’s different than the Samsung’s but I figured it out.

i honestly can’t say I like one better than the other. Both work really well.

I'm a Motorola person. I recently went from a Motorola X to an X4. I got lucky and got the X4 on an amazing sale they had: $150. I get good service out at camp, but people with Verizon in my office at work get better service there. That may be more a matter of the service than the phone.

48 minutes ago, dennis said:

I have an LG from tracfone. $50. Works great. 

Which LG model do you have?  Thanks to everyone for their input.  I probably am a much lighter user than most, as I just use it for calls, but no text or internet.  A friend keeps trying to convince me to text, but so far I have resisted.

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

A friend keeps trying to convince me to text, but so far I have resisted.

I think most of us felt this way initially -- but texting is now a part of my daily life.  It's great because it's all asynchronous communication.  You pick up messages when you can -- on your schedule -- and you're not interrupted.  I find most my messages I send out don't require an immediate answer either -- and if I do need an immediate answer -- then I can call.

• Awesome 2

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Which LG model do you have?  Thanks to everyone for their input.  I probably am a much lighter user than most, as I just use it for calls, but no text or internet.  A friend keeps trying to convince me to text, but so far I have resisted.

It's a LG Premier LTE. I bought it two years ago. It's a basic android smartphone. They may not have that model any longer. I use it for calls, texts, email, mapping, photos, and internet service. It does what I need it to. Tracfone service is super cheap $120/year. I've found it to be reliable. They might even have flip phones for free if you just need it for calling.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I don’t know about the other phones but the I phones you can voice text. It’s easier than typing on that small keyboard. You can use the microphone on the forum to type as well. All my photos are from an eye phone. I have a camera but quit using it when I got my iPhone and each model seems to have an even better camera.

7 hours ago, dennis said:

It's a LG Premier LTE. I bought it two years ago. It's a basic android smartphone. They may not have that model any longer. I use it for calls, texts, email, mapping, photos, and internet service. It does what I need it to. Tracfone service is super cheap $120/year. I've found it to be reliable. They might even have flip phones for free if you just need it for calling.

Yay for super cheap!  That is an awesome price!

My vote would be for the iPhone or, if you dislike Apple but for some odd reason do like Android, the Samsung options are gonna be equally as good. 

I'd suggest the one with a good camera.  Again, the Apple and Samsung are generally good, but all those might have reasonable cameras. 

And texting is da bomb!  Like "e-mail lite" or leaving a voice mail without the headache of someone needing to listen to a voicemail.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And texting is da bomb!  Like "e-mail lite" or leaving a voice mail without the headache of someone needing to listen to a voicemail.

This, very few leave a VM anymore.  If someone doesn’t pick up in 2-3 rings I hang up & text.  Often times when in a meeting or even on your cell phone you can’t take a call or listen to a VM but can read & respond to a text. 

We have a couple of family text groups that are handy as shit.  One is my siblings, the other is my wife, kids & SIL. Friday afternoon my wife & kids determine Friday dinner location & time via a couple of group texts.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This, very few leave a VM anymore.  If someone doesn’t pick up in 2-3 rings I hang up & text.  Often times when in a meeting or even on your cell phone you can’t take a call or listen to a VM but can read & respond to a text. 

We have a couple of family text groups that are handy as shit.  One is my siblings, the other is my wife, kids & SIL. Friday afternoon my wife & kids determine Friday dinner location & time via a couple of group texts.

You can add me to the legions of people who prefer texts over calls. Calls are just way too invasive in most cases. They do have their place, but in maybe~10% of communications.  The semi-syncronousness of texts is the killer app.  Just like forums. Can reply in seconds or years.  Am I right? :D

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

You can add me to the legions of people who prefer texts over calls. Calls are just way too invasive in most cases. They do have their place, but in maybe~10% of communications.  The semi-syncronousness of texts is the killer app.

A phone rings/vibrates when you are on a hike or in a meeting or at dinner etc, it is intrusive.  A text comes in, and "who cares?"! It can wait.  Glorious difference between the two.  Also, I send a lot of photos via text.

So, another thing for SH to consider when choosing between the iPhone or the others is whether folks in his "circle of trust" are on iPhones or not. Texting to and fro with fellow Apple folks gives me the beloved blue text, versus the oft yucky and quality reducing green text of shame :D 

• Haha 1

Just now, dennis said:

Telling a photographer to buy a phone with a good camera is like telling a formula 1 driver to buy a chevette. 

Yeah - that's a given for SH, but I doubt he totes a camera around while doing much of his work, so like the rest of us, a modern cell phone camera is the 90% solution versus the perfect one. 

And, I just noticed, my spellchecker is flagging "phone" in your post.  WTF Chrome????

image.png.121da7f83b6d8cad9f8d6527bf33f71f.png

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - that's a given for SH, but I doubt he totes a camera around while doing much of his work, so like the rest of us, a modern cell phone camera is the 90% solution versus the perfect one. 

And, I just noticed, my spellchecker is flagging "phone" in your post.  WTF Chrome????

image.png.121da7f83b6d8cad9f8d6527bf33f71f.png

Chrome doesn't know what this is. Or this.

th?id=OIP.vxYoOms-K7bA0JkvSgIKcgHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&w=246&h=165

th?id=OIP.oSMPntesNaUlZR6FfrLysQHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=281&h=159

4 minutes ago, dennis said:

Not all of us are tied to our phone. Our next wellness challenge at work is put your phone down. Pretty easy. I've used mine once this week so far.

Define "phone".

I used my camera to take dozens of photos this weekend.

I used my browser to scan this site and others on my commute in today.

I used my Garmin app to move my rides from my 520 to the Garmin and Strava websites.

I used e-mail to check to see if I had a confirmation from the AC guy.

I used my texting app to coordinate Easter dinner and to share some Bug Naked pics.

I used my calculator to quickly check some numbers at my board meeting.

I used my alarm clock to wake up on time.

Etc etc.  I can say, I have used my "phone" about twice since Sunday - a call to my Mom, and a call from my wife.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Define "phone".

I used my Garmin app to move my rides from my 520 to the Garmin and Strava websites.

I used my texting app to coordinate Easter dinner and to share some Bug Naked pics.

Etc etc.  I can say, I have used my "phone" about twice since Sunday - a call to my Mom, and a call from my wife.

Of all the things I use my “phone” for making calls is the bottom of the list.  I don’t have a personal laptop or computer. My phone is primary means of accessing the net during the day.  I post here from my phone only.

To each there own but I think the more you realize what is capable on your “phone” the more you use it.

44 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Are their big limitations on usage?

$125 gets you this:

1,500 MINUTES

1,500 TEXTS

1.5 GB DATA

If you need more you just buy it. It works for someone who doesn't use their phone a lot. I might buy another GB of data for $10 over the course of the year. Everything carries over from year to year. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Define "phone".

I answered one text this week. That is it. No calls, email, web usage, photos. 

1 minute ago, dennis said:

$125 gets you this:

1,500 MINUTES

1,500 TEXTS

1.5 GB DATA

If you need more you just buy it. It works for someone who doesn't use their phone a lot. I might buy another GB of data for $10 over the course of the year. Everything carries over from year to year. 

I've been with Tracfone for many years and plan on staying with them in the future.  I think some of the folks I call are like some of you and find the call intrusive.  Thus they would rather I text than phone.  Only time, I've ever used the camera on my current flip phone was to take photos of some plumbing to use in buying parts at ACE hardware.  I think trying to do much on the web with that small of screen would drive me up the wall, and I don't even like to type on my wife's IPad. Our lives are much different than many of your busy lives with work, family, and friends.  My wife will only carry her phone when traveling and seldom uses it then. Her phone is the one that is being impacted by the change, so I'll probably let her have the flip phone, and I'll take the new one.  Thanks again for helping with this decision.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

I answered one text this week. That is it. No calls, email, web usage, photos. 

I get texts hourly from my kids, wife and for work.  I couldn’t imagine a day without one let alone a week.  

As others have alluded to it’s a much simpler form of communication.  Shoot sometimes I text my family to let them know when Sunday dinner will be ready. One text, 4 people contacted and they all make it over in time.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I've been with Tracfone for many years and plan on staying with them in the future.  I think some of the folks I call are like some of you and find the call intrusive.  Thus they would rather I text than phone.  Only time, I've ever used the camera on my current flip phone was to take photos of some plumbing to use in buying parts at ACE hardware.  I think trying to do much on the web with that small of screen would drive me up the wall, and I don't even like to type on my wife's IPad. Our lives are much different than many of your busy lives with work, family, and friends.  My wife will only carry her phone when traveling and seldom uses it then. Her phone is the one that is being impacted by the change, so I'll probably let her have the flip phone, and I'll take the new one.  Thanks again for helping with this decision.

I will say that, based on the way you are working in tougher conditions, a smart phone will likely be more apt to get damage than a flip phone.  Our flip phones from years ago were pretty darn impervious to damage beyond scratches. A smart phone - for someone like you - might also require a $20 Otterbox or similar to protect it from being smashed. I can generally get by with a slim or no case, but my wife's phone is well protected for drops and other mishaps.

26 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I get texts hourly from my kids, wife and for work.  I couldn’t imagine a day without one let alone a week.  

As others have alluded to it’s a much simpler form of communication.  Shoot sometimes I text my family to let them know when Sunday dinner will be ready. One text, 4 people contacted and they all make it over in time.

Like they say: "Different strokes for different folks".:whistle: In the 'old days' we simply told them when it was going to be ready, and they should be there on time.? The critters let me know when it is time to eat.?

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Like they say: "Different strokes for different folks".:whistle: In the 'old days' we simply told them when it was going to be ready, and they should be there on time.? The critters let me know when it is time to eat.?

Yep.  Since my kids are grown and one is out, the other is mostly out a simple group text is handy.  Not like they could hear the dinner bell.   Now jack, you can set your watch to his tummy!  Weird how the critters know.