A Perk Of Being A Fireman!

Razors Edge

...is SMASHING IN DOORS!!!! :D

We had the gas leak on our block, and they evacuated all the surrounding buildings.  In the search for the leak, I guess they checked our building and not just the obvious construction site, and since several of the floors in my building are secured - including mine - they smashed in the door from the stairway.  In fairness, there were no building folks allowed in the area, so it had to be done to do their job.  I just think that might be one of the funner parts of the job - taking an axe to a door.

That and the "Canteen Unit" that got called in by the firefighters.  :)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...in my first year or two with fire, I was pretty good at smashing stuff.  It gets old after a while. :( 

They probably let the rookie do it!  We're on the top floor, so the regular guys were probably more than happy to let some youngster run the stairs in full firefighter get up and smash doors along the way.

• Heart 1

...yeah, usually with a pry bar they open pretty fast.  I assumed it was some kind of super reinforced door because "secured area", but what do I know ?   We usually had access to a box of masters for the entire building at all the larger office buildings here, so if that was the case, you don't smash stuff without good emergency reasons.  They probably used it as a training exercise at @Razors Edge 's building.  Or maybe there was some cute secretarial meat out there they wanted to flex some muscle for.

As a former FF I would never smash in a door in a building with a possible gas leak. I would have went out and asked someone for a key. 

32 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...once I found out about spring loaded center punches, I started wondering why I was locking my car.

41yWp1J-dVL._AC_SY400_.jpg

spark plugs work better. so do bricks :)

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

As a former FF I would never smash in a door in a building with a possible gas leak. I would have went out and asked someone for a key. 

spark plugs work better. so do bricks :)

Back in the day car thieves would break up chunks of spark plugs.  They would throw them at car windows and they’d break every time.  we considered spark plug chunks burg tools...  

Yeah we had batons & the first time I whacked a car window my baton bounced right off!?!?  I hit it again & same thing.  I then unholstered and used the butt of the pistol and hit it like a hammer.  The second time I didn’t even bother with the baton & used my pistol.