Torx

Ralphie

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I wonder if Outlaw screws will ever take off?

https://www.popsci.com/article/diy/finally-strip-proof-screw

Cool!  I have deck screws that are like just one layer of that (hexagon), but yeah, a couple extra levels to spread out the torque would definitely help . 

Screw Head

A hundred years ago, England had 4 or 5 different standards. One car was notorious for using them all, and there was no way to find out which one you were looking at was which.

Some were real easy to strip.

Funny the crap that sticks with you.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Why wouldn't a traditional screw/bolt extractor work?

Screw Extractor Set, Spiral Flute, 5 Pcs

image.png.e685ea2407268f8dc6d742b01bff2971.png

I've never had very good luck with them. But I guess I have to try. I think my toughest one though was for a broken off head, so it was aboot impossible to get a pilot hole drilled.  But an intact torx head should provide good self centering and hopefully no pilot hole is needed. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I've never had very good luck with them. But I guess I have to try. I think my toughest one though was for a broken off head, so it was aboot impossible to get a pilot hole drilled.  But an intact torx head should provide good self centering and hopefully no pilot hole is needed. 

I almost always need them to swap out my cycling cleats after a few years being ground down and filled with gravel.  If I can do it, you can do it!

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, late said:

A hundred years ago, England had 4 or 5 different standards. One car was notorious for using them all, and there was no way to find out which one you were looking at was which.

Some were real easy to strip.

Funny the crap that sticks with you.

I have a couple of Whitworth spanners somewhere in my tool box.

User error.

I love Torq fasteners because they are tough to screw up if you have the right bit.  The only time I've had issue it's been my bits fault.  But for any type of screw head, these are the best thing going.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

User error.

I love Torq fasteners because they are tough to screw up if you have the right bit.  The only time I've had issue it's been my bits fault.  But for any type of screw head, these are the best thing going.

That's a bit of a stretch.

Saaaaaayyyyyy.  Maybe that's an answer.

25 minutes ago, Further said:

That screw doesn't look stripped, are you sure you have the right bit ?

That was just example as I sat at the table outside Faarstone. Here is a picture of the subject one and it doesn’t really look rounded either!  Actually I guess it does since now it looks like an Allen!

i think the bit is right, it worked well on all the ones that weren’t overly tight. 

FCD50688-48B0-445E-B30A-DD34B49E99AB.jpeg

92A1485A-FEA5-4097-A2B6-1026F4134927.jpeg

Ok, as you might notice from the pic above, they are Allen heads!  Dang it!  These old eyes are getting weaker and weaker.  The one is still rounded though. I got the rest of the tighter ones oot with a 7/64” = 2.778 mm. So I wonder what size the heads really are?  I can’t seem to locate all my metric Allens at the moment. Must be 3 mm though.  Or maybe 2.5. 

9 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ok, as you might notice from the pic above, they are Allen heads!  Dang it!  These old eyes are getting weaker and weaker.  The one is still rounded though. I got the rest of the tighter ones oot with a 7/64” = 2.778 mm. So I wonder what size the heads really are?  I can’t seem to locate all my metric Allens at the moment. Must be 3 mm though.  Or maybe 2.5. 

As an allen head, you can remove it by using a cheap allen wrench one size larger.  just file or grind the wrench sides to a taper that just fits into the head of the screw.  Drive it in with a hammer and unscrew.  The wedge will tighten itself into whats left of the allen hole as you drive it in.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It can also be chalked up to slovenliness since I can’t find the metric Allens. 

If it's stripped you can probably use sae allens to make a removal tool.  If not, just get out the dremel, cut a slot in the head and remove it with a screwdriver.