I wonder if this is from my buddy in Nigeria?

jsharr

I keep getting phone messages telling me to call a certain person to discuss paying off my student loan.  Apparently, they don't even bother to check whether you have ever actually had a loan.  I guess they just assume that out of a given number of calls, a significant portion of the callees will have, or at one time had a loan.

31 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have a cell phone issued by my work. Never given out to anyone other than work. I regularly get phone calls about my credit cards, even though I never have listed that number on a credit card application.

Random number robo-caller program.

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I keep getting phone messages telling me to call a certain person to discuss paying off my student loan.  Apparently, they don't even bother to check whether you have ever actually had a loan.  I guess they just assume that out of a given number of calls, a significant portion of the callees will have, or at one time had a loan.

I have no carpets - just a few throw rugs - but I get an automated message from "Dave's Carpet Cleaning" once or twice per week - from different fake caller's phone numbers.  Once I stayed online to speak to a representative and asked them where their store is located and got a runaround. I asked to be taken off their list since I have no rugs. No luck!

The phone company charges these companies for making phone calls and can surely track how many calls they make. Why can't they track when these companies are using fake caller ID numbers?

44 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I have no carpets - just a few throw rugs - but I get an automated message from "Dave's Carpet Cleaning" once or twice per week - from different fake caller's phone numbers.  Once I stayed online to speak to a representative and asked them where their store is located and got a runaround. I asked to be taken off their list since I have no rugs. No luck!

The phone company charges these companies for making phone calls and can surely track how many calls they make. Why can't they track when these companies are using fake caller ID numbers?

You don't need a phone number or account to make phone calls.  All you need is the IP address of someone who does who doesn't know.  You don't think these guys pay monthly phone bills do you?