NFL Draft Round One tonight

Road Runner

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

The Deadskins need a quarterback.  

They actually need a really good coach, but that ain't happening as long as Dan Snyder is around.

I think they have had good coaches, but those coaches have been undermined and ignored, so they eventually are former coaches.

As for a QB, can they really bring in another young guy and let him get murdered every play?  Maybe they need an offensive line that can protect the guy before they go and get another QB beat to crap in a season or two. Gun shy is bad in QBs.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Speaking of living in the past...

Looks like, with the end of the Norv Turner period, they have had:

Shottenheimer

Spurrier

Gibbs

Zorn !?!?!?!?

Shananhan

and now Jay Gruden.

Not all A-team coaches, but definitely not "awful".  It is more the shear number of them in the 20 years.  Same with QBs.  Those two things are poison - too many coaches and too many new QBs.  All Snyder's fault!

35 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

They actually need a really good coach, but that ain't happening as long as Dan Snyder is around.

The coach seems ok to me, they just keep making stupid trades with their draft choices, then choosing guys that will suck or get injured continually.

It’ll be interesting to see what the Rams do. They have the 31st pick, rumor is they’ll trade down.  

I laugh at all of the experts saying the Rams must draft a RB early due to the Gurley injury.  They have a stud in John Kelly they drafted last year and Malcom Brown could start for a lot of teams.

It seems the national media doesn’t check the depth chart on previous drafts. OMG they lost X in free agency, they must draft for X...  Not if there are 2 studs waiting in the wings... 

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I heard this morning that Big Ben just signed a new contract though 2021.

That's somewhat disappointing, but better than hearing he's signed through 2025 or something like that.  I believe his skills are diminishing and typically when that happens is they fall off the table real fast at some point.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him washed up by then.

The Steelers don't have a history of locking themselves into longterm bad contracts but they have bent over backwards for Big Ben.

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

$33,333 per minute, $555 per second, even when he is on the sideline.  

He will make more in one minute than half the people in this country make in one year.

You forgot to factor in the time last week when he was at voluntary workouts.

The draft has become a much bigger "show" in recent years. Isn't it on ABC this year?  At least the first part?  I'm old enough to recall reading through small print in a newspaper to see if my favorite players got drafted.

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Snyder is supposed to be pulling the strings this draft!!!  Jerry Jones will have company in Hell.

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

The coach seems ok to me, they just keep making stupid trades with their draft choices, then choosing guys that will suck or get injured continually.

Ok, I like what they did this year.  They didn't trade up and got a good value on an excellent QB and traded up to get amazing value on a DE.  I think Washington is going to end up with what is considered an excellent draft this year, even just based on day 1.

Just now, Dottie said:

I think your Deadskins did real well. I have questions if you're a Giants fan.

I am not a Washington fan, I just think they had a rare non-mangling of their draft thus far. 

I have no idea what the Giants are thinking, because they seem kinda stupid these days. 

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have no idea what the Giants are thinking, because they seem kinda stupid these days. 

I have noticed that too. I guess time will tell but the last few years... they seem to be making weird decisions. Seattle does it all the time but they have proven their weirdness works. I haven't seen that from the G Men.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It seems the national media doesn’t check the depth chart on previous drafts. OMG they lost X in free agency, they must draft for X...  Not if there are 2 studs waiting in the wings... 

I read ya  I wish I had a $100 for everything these 'experts' know. It's gotten to the point up here in Seattle that if pundits like our selections, it must not be a good selection.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

He needs to be less horrible at clock management, that has been his weak point.  I like the new linebacker, but wonder if they gave up too much to get him.  

And replays. He doesn't challenge well.

Steelers had a few picks to work with due to compensation for Bell and Brown, so moving up is being seen as worth the cost here.

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

I read ya  I wish I had a $100 for everything these 'experts' know. It's gotten to the point up here in Seattle that if pundits like our selections, it must not be a good selection.

Well some talking heads got it right in that the Rams traded down.  It will be interesting to see what positions they address.  They lost several DB’s, I think they will address D and O line although many still think they will select a RB.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they select a QB late in the draft as they will need a back up QB next year. 

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well some talking heads got it right in that the Rams traded down.  It will be interesting to see what positions they address.  They lost several DB’s, I think they will address D and O line although many still think they will select a RB.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they select a QB late in the draft as they will need a back up QB next year. 

Yeah for the 8th year in a row, the Seahawks did the same thing... a.k.a. New England style.  From what I understand, the draft is supposed to be loaded through the first 3 rounds.  After that, it starts dropping off.  If that's the case, then having picks in the late first round doesn't make sense because then you have to pay those bastards first round monies.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yeah for the 8th year in a row, the Seahawks did the same thing... a.k.a. New England style.  From what I understand, the draft is supposed to be loaded through the first 3 rounds.  After that, it starts dropping off.  If that's the case, then having picks in the late first round doesn't make sense because then you have to pay those bastards first round monies.  

Yeah I think that factored in to their decision making too.  The Rams didn’t have a 2nd round pick as they traded it.  They now have 4 picks in the first 100 by moving down and picking up another 3rd round pick.  I’m good with the move.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I think that factored in to their decision making too.  The Rams didn’t have a 2nd round pick as they traded it.  They now have 4 picks in the first 100 by moving down and picking up another 3rd round pick.  I’m good with the move.

Nice.  Yeah, the Seahags had 4 picks starting the draft and then let Frank Clark leave so they picked up 5.  They did make 1 selection in the 1st round but they picked up a bunch of others in the later rounds including the 2nd, 3rd, and like 4 in the 4th round.  I think we have 8 picks left -- most in the next 3 rounds.  But they always seem to find guys that fit their scheme in all the rounds -- so I guess I don't worry.  Lately our drafts up here have been no names and you just sort of trust John and Pete to do the right thing.  It takes the fun out of following the draft though.