Broken carbon bars

Dirtyhip

they are sort of. What they aren't good for is flexing...it breaks the carbon threads

So like, mucho fast bumpy no bueno?  He rides really rocky terrain.  One of the lines has a rock that is over two feet tall and the line goes over the top of that rock.

they are sort of. What they aren't good for is flexing...it breaks the carbon threads

they are fine for flexing, but they break instead of bending under large impacts.

I had FSA K-Wing bars for 7 years, and the drops flexed at bunch without issue. They cracked at the levers when my bike fell onto the freeway.

I wouldn't use carbon bars on a mountain bike(crashes/large impacts are too frequent) but the are fine for road bikes.
  • Heart 1

There's a reason why I've never had the desire to put them on a mtb.

Also scratches damages fibers and leaves them more prone to breaking, so everytime you put the bike down (which is often for me) you are that much closer to their end.

I have new carbon bars on my MTB.  I was told they are very strong.  Now,  have my doubts.   

Luckily, we got them 50% off.   :whistle:

They are strong.  Initial strength isn't the issue, it's the weakening over time do to use and damage.

Bars are one place I don't get carbon.

Torque specs often have to be more precise when tightening your stem, or you can crack them yourself if you aren't careful.  As others have said, they are strong in their own way, but also react different to flex.

I'm plenty comfortable with 7075 aluminum.  Unfortunately, it appearsSalsa no longer makes  the Short-n-Shallow  road handlebars that have been my favorite for a few years now; it's getting difficult to find curved anatomic drops rather than flat ones. :(