Does your spouse bring their work home

Chris...

16 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

BuffCarla likes to share the happenings at her workplace each day with me.

No matter where she worked, my ex always seemed to work in an office that was primarily a soap opera.  Lots of intrigue and back door dealings.  I never was aware of any of that stuff where I worked.  :huh:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

BuffCarla likes to share the happenings at her workplace each day with me. This usually takes an hour and a half. On Saturday’s I get a week in review session. If I’m lucky I get to share two minutes of my workday, which mostly consists of updates from the Little Debbie Forum. 

Hope that's not me...however, I admit that I do vent a bit after work at times.?  Some of work problems, etc., dearie is interested because he has good thoughts/suggestions especially if I ask for his opinion. Some of the problems point to larger problems of what is happening locally.  Otherwise, yea, from him:  if he experienced something different re, his daily bike ride, what he is doing for his son's business,  condo board meeting shenanigans..  He is retired but he is also a faithful father /business partner for his son's biz:  he spends hrs. writing up small business grant applications (which were just awarded with reporting requirements to govn't), then developing the online food ordering website (which he asked for my opinion)...amongst tax returns, daily online book-keeping, etc.

• Heart 1

WoW tends to either talk about work processes in minute detail, or about the drama going on with her office workers. Currently, I only like one of them so I don’t care about most of it. 

Unless I’ve had a really bad or good day, I don’t share a ton. I might tell her if I had a client who is a public figure or a friend. Otherwise, I try to separate work mindset from personal when I can

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, groupw said:

Unless I’ve had a really bad or good day, I don’t share a ton. I might tell her if I had a client who is a public figure or a friend. Otherwise, I try to separate work mindset from personal when I can

Dearie was like that before he retired.  In his last job, I didn't quite appreciate his level of expertise..until AFTER he retired.  He was more willing to talk more about it.  And that level of expertise translated to his volunteer work (he did large dollar contract negotiations. I mean he did a billion dollar deal for his firm...) in cycling advocacy of negotiating at the table with municipal authorities in Toronto and Vancouver, sophisticated financial modelling (which I see for his son's business for financial forecasting), etc.

• Heart 1

When my wife was teaching she did, as I knew most of the people she was talking about.  Now at the university level, she shares some and talks most about issues that come up.

I do share what I can.  There is an expected amount of 'pillow talk' in our work even though technically she does not have security clearances.  I am careful what I tell her,  some thjngs she cannot know, others she does not need to.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL retired 3 years ago. Before that she would complain about work. It took me a few decades to realize it, but she didn't want the solutions that I offered; she wanted sympathy. Of course most of my solutions involved telling people to go to hell.

I did instruct BuffCarla to give her boss the silent treatment. No more conversations with such a toxic person. If she gets fired, she gets unemployment. 

WOChrisL does a little bit there isn’t a whole lot of drama.  She tells me about some of the silly stuff (in a good way) the owner does & funny office stuff.

I don’t really vent or share work shit as it just gets my wife worked up.  She’s  not accustomed to the types & level of work I do.  Her job is to keep the sales team & customers happy.  Sometimes I need to tell people no, or stand my ground to other executives. She cringes and says you are going to get fired.

Mr. Aire brings home things with test motors to drive and the occasional story of what happened on test trips. Other than that I am not sure he does any work so he doesn’t have things to talk about.   Stories from Korea are especially interesting. Also I like to here about what happens in Kapuskasing. 

• Heart 2

LOL, dude you're gonna burn for that one

On a lighter note, apparently that loud mouth senator has received hundred of deck of cards in the mail. 

Wo2 has been retired for 3-4 years now. I get verbatim recollections, including thoughts, smells, and divergent opinions of everything she watched since I went to bed the night before. 

• Heart 1

My wife doesn’t talk about her work but before she started teleworking she used to talk about some of the people she worked with.

Back when I worked I always talked about my work. My wife was talking to one of our friends and mentioned something about what happened where our friends husband worked. She didn’t know anything about it, said he never talks about work.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My wife doesn’t talk about her work but before she started teleworking she used to talk about some of the people she worked with.

Back when I worked I always talked about my work. My wife was talking to one of our friends and mentioned something about what happened where our friends husband worked. She didn’t know anything about it, said he never talks about work.

Honest, if a person is good at their job and has given a lot career-wise, it may help see the strengths and stresses of their partner in a fuller way. However each couple is different. It's a shame that some women profess ignorance and some men think their wives are incapable understanding/supporting them...especially when work is stressful.  A partner can learn if s/he are willing and empathetic.  It's helped us as a couple, over the years.

One thing....I have bought a stock for a product software which my dearie uses for son's business after I saw the software features in real business world way.  The stock is doing very well.  So it helps not to be too clueless about what a partner is doing job-wise, except for client confidentiality.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Honest, if a person is good at their job and has given a lot career-wise, it may help see the strengths and stresses of their partner in a fuller way. However each couple is different. It's a shame that some women profess ignorance and some men think their wives are incapable understanding/supporting them...especially when work is stressful.  A partner can learn if s/he are willing and empathetic.

My wife can’t actually talk about her work. It’s high security but she would tell me what was going on with her cow-orkers. Who is getting married, having a baby, retiring, etc.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

My wife can’t actually talk about her work. It’s high security but she would tell me what was going on with her cow-orkers. Who is getting married, having a baby, retiring, etc.

THat's fine too..

Dearie showed me the online food ordering e=commerce web site, he's working on..  He valued my opinion on visual composition, wording and made changes.  We chatted.   I have a natural gift/tendency for visualization of colour, shape and for visually organizing things on paper/on screen, in a cohesive and hopefully, pleasing whole.  Plus word expression that is snappier.  He's wordier on the marketing side. I explained how to break certain grammar rules abit without compromising on reader comprehension.  (I see this problem repeatedly in the business world: either too wordy or too vague.)