Losing interest in tangible assets, fashion

shootingstar

I've lost interest in buying knickknacks or any physical asset that will sit around at home for past few years.   I also have lost interest in buying fashion clothing, etc.  I have enough cycling jerseys for the next 10-15 yrs.  My interest only so far for next 24 months are:  new pair of running shoes (to replace broken pair worn past 4 years), some socks, a pair of jeans (in next 2 yrs.), a low heel pair of fashion walking shoes with dress pants (not just for work, but also for special occasions in life), and cycling jacket that is very light with pockets but with some water repellency but not so much, that I die sweating in spring-summer.    I have not lost interest in a good haircut, making sure my bikes work, etc.  :) 

I think the water damage inside my home (and affecting others), has really highlighted the burden of too much of clothing, and other stuff that needs to be moved around in order for flooring to be installed, etc.  

I’m getting there. I am slowly selling off or giving away a lot of items we don’t use or want. Currently working on the garage. My old hobby/storage area is next. 

About the only things we are adding are a kayak for WoW, some photo frames for some travel and family photos and I still like adding LPs and CDs to the collection, but I am increasingly selective there. 

I mostly replace clothes if they are worn out or don’t fit. 

13 minutes ago, Airehead said:

We are in the declutter and share stage of life also. I have never cared about fashion so that is not an issue. I would never wait a year or two to buy practical shoes. 

My lovely leather practical low dress shoes will last for another year...provided I just walk around indoors, not out in rain where leather will get ruined.  

I have a pile of magazines and books to donate over next few days.

I've recently told friends and relatives that if I came home and found someone had robbed everything in my house, I don't know if I'd be upset or relieved.

One of may main jobs now is to get rid of stuff.

Those of us in the extended family have sworn-off birthday presents and parties, simply preferring a meal at a decent restaurant.

Of course, those assets that keep me free of financial stress are highly valued, but the clutter can go.

39 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've recently told friends and relatives that if I came home and found someone had robbed everything in my house, I don't know if I'd be upset or relieved.

?

I'm going to carefully offload a small painting I did, for a sister (it will be gift-wrapped. She has expressed interest), maybe 2 books for a niece.  It must be light loads to fly on airplane. :)   I already gifted 2 different paintings of mine, to 2 other family members.

I don't have young adult children, to offload my furniture and some kitchen gadgets.  Dearie, inherited a bunch after his mother's death who was a great cook and baker.  He also gave whatever his daughter wanted...

32 minutes ago, Further said:

I have never understood going "shopping", going to buy something I need is one thing, but to go look for something just to buy it  :scratchhead:

I agree. I used to be like that first decade after I had my first full time job.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

?

I'm going to carefully offload a small painting I did, for a sister (it will be gift-wrapped. She has expressed interest), maybe 2 books for a niece.  It must be light loads to fly on airplane. :)   I already gifted 2 different paintings of mine, to 2 other family members.

I don't have young adult children, to offload my furniture and some kitchen gadgets.  Dearie, inherited a bunch after his mother's death who was a great cook and baker.  He also gave whatever his daughter wanted...

I agree. I used to be like that first decade after I had my first full time job.

Here’s a tip, young adult children generally don’t want our crap...  My daughter is starting to accumulate things they will need for their first place and none of it is coming from me.  I got very little household stuff from my mom too.

There May be one or two items of sentimental value but they usually want their own stuff.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Here’s a tip, young adult children generally don’t want our crap...  My daughter is starting to accumulate things they will need for their first place and none of it is coming from me.  I got very little household stuff from my mom too.

There May be one or two items of sentimental value but they usually want their own stuff.

True.  Just a few small things they may find useful for a short while. Maybe things have changed.....myself and friends I knew, had very little money during college /university...so we each needed dishes, bookcase, a chair/table, etc. 

When I bought my own place (before dearie entered into my life), I appreciated a few daily dishware pieces, utensils and decent cooking pots and pans.  Cost-wise it was helpful at the time.  I still have some of that utilitarian stuff, especially stuff where "matching" colours etc. is a non-issue.  I use it to this day.