I guess I was due...

groupw

Commute home yesterday-strong tailwind! I was staying with traffic and rather than slam on the brakes and try to make my shortcut through a hotel parking lot, I saw I would have the left turn arrow ahead so I stayed on the street to keep the momentum. The hike/bike trail has a crossing about a block after that turn. I was going to join the trail there. I have done this many times. However, this time I either had the wrong front tire angle or hit some gravel. Not sure, but the front end washed out and I hit the ground! Gouged the palm of my right hand, scraped fingers on my left had, road rash up my left forearm and elbow and again on my left shoulder. Right knee, too. 

Handlebars twisted at the stem. I was able to rotate back to relatively straight and rode the remaining 2 miles home. Luckily my clothes survived minus a small blood stain on the knee. I will have to clean the blood off the handgrips tomorrow. I cleaned up and we went to dinner. Driving the Miata, I had to shift gingerly, but the motion seemed to loosen up my stiff wrist. I slept on the couch because I couldn't find a postion in bed that was comfortable. Not sure why the couch slept better...

Work today is an adventure in finding new little pains and realizing parts of the body I normally take for granted! 

• Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Possibly hit one of the sidewalk crosswalk markings? Some are rubberized here. And slickery

They don't mark the crosswalks that well, here. Just 2 stripes across the street. It happened quickly and is a bit of a blur, but I know my front was at the trail/road transition. 

You are never "due" for a crash. Glad you're mostly OK, hope nothing shows up later. 

Amazing how much more a fall hurts as you age.

When I was young and crashed it was all about the blood, get that stopped and all was good. Now it's muscle strains that show up the next day and hang around for weeks.

Sorry to hear about that.. No broken bones. That's good. Road rash. That's bad. You'll probably need psychotherapy. :lol:

I was thinking just this week that maybe I should dial back intensity when I ride. You know, ride like an old person at the beach. I may do that. (Like never. ;))

• Heart 1

Good to hear you are relatively okay!  Scary to randomly wipe-out. I have a fall like that about once a year commuting.  Something is slick/slippery/oily/wet, and I don't notice it and go down.  Just the percentages catching up. 150 rides x2 and in all conditions, it's just gonna happen. :(

5 hours ago, BuffJim said:

@groupw How are you feeling today?

Better than yesterday! I was pretty sore and the big scars were pretty tender. Joints affected were very stiff. My middle finger on my left hand had no open wounds, but the joint was stiff and it was swollen. But the swelling went down when we were at the movie. 

Today I still have the sore on my knee bandages. I was  fine with short sleeves. We went to do some errands this afternoon and I put on a long sleeve shirt. The elbow is still tender! 

Funny the most painful part is this little blood blister. Hitting it wrong will send me through the ceiling!

3BB9F39D-1B29-471D-936D-53958FF7435B.jpeg

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

Funny the most painful part is this little blood blister. Hitting it wrong will send me through the ceiling!

I got a big one on my knee once. Pulling on pants was a real experience.

15 hours ago, groupw said:

Better than yesterday! I was pretty sore and the big scars were pretty tender. Joints affected were very stiff. My middle finger on my left hand had no open wounds, but the joint was stiff and it was swollen. But the swelling went down when we were at the movie. 

Today I still have the sore on my knee bandages. I was  fine with short sleeves. We went to do some errands this afternoon and I put on a long sleeve shirt. The elbow is still tender! 

3BB9F39D-1B29-471D-936D-53958FF7435B.jpeg

Get a needle and stick that sucker.  Remember the disinfectant.