What was your biggest?

Road Runner

305 V-8.  Both my Chevy Nova and my Chevy El Camino had the 145 hp version of the engine.  Little bitty 2 barrel carb.

When I started driving mom and dad had a 1980 Pontiac Bonneville with a 409 with a Rochester Quadrajet on it.  It would melt a set of whitewall tires......

• Heart 1

455 in a Chevy Laguna with a 4 barrel carb.  It was slow from the get go but put your head back against the headrest if you had some speed build up before you floored it.  In those cases the gas gauge traveled in direct opposite relationship to the speedometer.   I learned to drive in my father's 383 Plymouth Fury.

• Heart 2

440 in the Daytona.  426 stage III wedge in the dart.  The 426 hemi was a bit too fussy for every day driving.  The 440 was not a regular engine though as it mixed the valve train of the 6 pack with the single 4 barrel of the Magnum engine.  The 426 in the tiny 68 dart however was a bit too built for every day use.  You didn't want to hold the clutch in at a traffic light for too long lest your leg start to shake.  It idled at 1800 (too much cam) rpm and the two 4 barrel carbs drank a lot of fuel, even by 1970 standards.

These days I drive a 112 cu in Toyota valveomatic engine.  The technology is like a starship compared to the beasts of old.

28 minutes ago, 12string said:

I've currently got a 5.7 Hemi in the truck and a 5.7 Mercruiser in the boat.  I had a series of Beetles, one was regularly 600cc until I could pull over and get the pushrods back into the rocker arms and have my 1200cc back for another 100 miles or so.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

440 in the Daytona.  426 stage III wedge in the dart.  The 426 hemi was a bit too fussy for every day driving.  The 440 was not a regular engine though as it mixed the valve train of the 6 pack with the single 4 barrel of the Magnum engine.  The 426 in the tiny 68 dart however was a bit too built for every day use.  You didn't want to hold the clutch in at a traffic light for too long lest your leg start to shake.  It idled at 1800 (too much cam) rpm and the two 4 barrel carbs drank a lot of fuel, even by 1970 standards.

These days I drive a 112 cu in Toyota valveomatic engine.  The technology is like a starship compared to the beasts of old.

Back in my boating days I saw some crazy stuff.  Mercury 300 OB on a 20' bass boat that would run on basically just the prop once it was going.

A SeaRay Pachanga 22 that we shoe horned a supercharged Mercruiser 502 into.  Had to have an aluminum rear deck lid made to get clearance for the engine, but still look "stock".  It was for a rock guitarist, from Pink Floyd I believe.  He wanted to beat his buddies at the Poker runs.

Gordon Mineo, also known as Flash Gordon to the top fuel world had some crazy boats.  He brought a pickle fork out to our dock on  the lake on day.  Big ass blower on a big ass V8 with a crazy cam in it.  At idle, in gear, the boat would lurch out of water each time that beast of a engine / cam combo loped over.  He ended up dying in a horrific boat accident on Lake Texoma a few years later.

I had a Toyota Corolla FX16GTS.  Basically a hatchback MR2.  In a time of anemic engines, this had a 1.6L twin cam 4 valve with a redline of 7500, but would pull strong past that.  It weighed almost nothing, the wheelbase wasn't much longer than it was wide.  With a 5 speed and top speed of about 100, it was just a blast to point and shoot.

I had a few used Chevy's in the 60's and 70's with 283 V8's from a '59 Impala to a '68 Camaro.  Then smaller V6's through a 1997 Ford Taurus then, when high-compression 4-cylinder engines with good gas mileage became long-term dependable, I went to it with my current 2013 Honda Fit. 118 hp. Woo woo!

I operated a Caterpillar generator with a V-16, 4 turbo diesel engine. It was backup power for a glass furnace.

We would test run it with no load and it wasn't very impressive, management didn't want to risk upsetting the furnace. The insurance company wanted to see a load test.

They brought in a "load bank" basically a flatbed trailer covered with electric heaters, and let it wail.

There was thunder in the valley.

That sucker made smoke, noise & power. I don't remember the KW's but it was a couple thousand amps at 480 volts

383 Magnum in my 70 Charger. 390 Interceptor in my 64 Ford. My dad shoehorned a 460 in his 69 F150 pickup. That was wild on gravel roads!

Smallest was .21 cubic inches in my RC car. Capable of turning 30,000 RPM. Rated at 2.9 HP - no idea what nitro percentage they used to get that figure!

17 hours ago, groupw said:

383 Magnum in my 70 Charger. 390 Interceptor in my 64 Ford. My dad shoehorned a 460 in his 69 F150 pickup. That was wild on gravel roads!

Smallest was .21 cubic inches in my RC car. Capable of turning 30,000 RPM. Rated at 2.9 HP - no idea what nitro percentage they used to get that figure!

Probably not much more than the 30% race fuel normally used.  Heat and burning up the lubricating oil in the fuel is the ultimate limiter on 2 cycle RC engines.  Above a certain temperature the lube flashes over and there go the bearings.  Nitro is a very slow burning fuel.  It's advantage is that it makes some of it's own oxidizer so one can put a silly ratio of fuel to air into an engine and get more total power.  In the Nitro drag classes we used about 90 deg ignition advance to get it to light at the proper time during the power stroke and you can see the flames when the cars race at night because the fuel is still burning during the exhaust cycle.  Unless you have a mechanical failure in one of those engines the limiting part are the valves.  This is because the fuel burns for so long that the valves do not get enough cooling time when closed on their seats.  Exhaust valves in particular approach white hot at the end of the quarter mile just an instant before the head of the valve literally melts off the stem.  That failure holes the piston and .................... well, you've seen the explosions.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1