So our new custodian..

petitepedal

12 hours ago, petitepedal said:

The one who worked 6.5 days and had an injury...been out since Feb 7....is scheduled to come back on Wednesday...he doesn't want to...he wants a workers comp settlement...the loser has done this before...Yay us...we have had a great temp the last month...hope this joker is a no show!!

Anybody call his references before y'all hired him?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, petitepedal said:

The one who worked 6.5 days and had an injury...been out since Feb 7....is scheduled to come back on Wednesday...he doesn't want to...he wants a workers comp settlement...the loser has done this before...Yay us...we have had a great temp the last month...hope this joker is a no show!!

It's sad people can play the game like that.  A guy I grew up with had a similar job history.  He'd work long enough to be able to collect unemployment, sue for anything he had a remote chance of winning since the lawyers don't collect unless they win, etc.  Of course, now that he's virtually retired, he's sponging off as many friends as he can because he has no assets.  NOT off me, though. I don't have anything to do with him anymore.

That and other lawsuits that are frivolous or meant to cause financial damage to someone due to court costs is why I've always felt that American law should be changed to match that in most other nations where the plaintiff who brings a suit and loses should have to pay a reasonable part of the defendant's court costs.  In a case in Washington, D.C. about a decade ago, a man claimed a Chinese-American laundry damaged his clothes but the laundry claimed they came in damaged.  The customer was a lawyer and filed lawsuit after lawsuit - that cost him virtually nothing - but the costs of a lawyer, etc. ended up driving the ma-pa laundry out of business even though the customer never won a single lawsuit.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Workers Comp isn't government money.  It's from an insurance policy that employers are required (based on state) to pay.  It is paid at a rate of per $1000 based on the job classification.  Office workers - low rate, roofers - hight rate.  Ask @2Far what the rate is on some of his employees?  I guarantee it is a little hight than our coders.

But think of the mental anguish us coders go through. Say, thanks. You have given me an idea.

6 hours ago, Dottie said:

But think of the mental anguish us coders go through. Say, thanks. You have given me an idea.

Yeah, don't stub your toe on a falling bit.

"Honest that never ending loop came right around and hit me up side the head."

I had a manager once sue the firm I worked for.  The guy was a douche, got fired for sexual harassment & then sued us for wrongful termination.

He tried to get the firm to settle for $100K, then $50K.  When they lowered the amount to $25K they asked why we won’t just settle as it would be cheaper to settle than fight.

Company response: We’d rather pay the attorneys than you, see you in court...

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yeah, don't stub your toe on a falling bit.

"Honest that never ending loop came right around and hit me up side the head."

46 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Or... "There was a lot of memory leakage and I slipped on it and hurt my back."

27 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I was just sitting there coding and then someone rammed into me.  

"Brain aneurysm as a result of excessive attention required to solve complex, indeterministic problems -- like Kazabooboo posting in SWC -- in a programmitic, discrete way". Screw you, Kazie. I'm going to get workers comp.

11 minutes ago, Dottie said:

"Brain aneurysm as a result of excessive attention required to solve complex indeterministic problem like Kazabooboo posting in SWC in a programmitic, discrete way". Screw you Kazie. I'm going to get workers comp.

A memory stack fell over on me.  

• Heart 2