Roommate from hell

Longjohn

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

Nope. Been with HoSmudge too many times to agree with this. Also, I work in a hospital; all of our rooms are one-person now.

Converting to singe rooms seems to be the trend among hospitals these days. While the issues of 'roommate disruptions impacting care' is constant, the secondary benefit is elevating occupancy rates to justify and support hospital expansion plans.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Converting to singe rooms seems to be the trend among hospitals these days. While the issues of 'roommate disruptions impacting care' is constant, the secondary benefit is elevating occupancy rates to justify and support hospital expansion plans.

Yeah, and trying to maintain HIPAA restrictions with someone else in the room is complicated.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, and trying to maintain HIPAA restrictions with someone else in the room is complicated.

My experience with the 2 hospitals in Kalamazoo, both remodeled and upgraded in the last few years, all the more general floors are built with capability of 2 beds but filled with one unless overflow is needed (flu season).  The more speciality floors - cardiac care, cancer treatment.... were designed as single bed rooms.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My experience with the 2 hospitals in Kalamazoo, both remodeled and upgraded in the last few years, all the more general floors are built with capability of 2 beds but filled with one unless overflow is needed (flu season).  The more speciality floors - cardiac care, cancer treatment.... were designed as single bed rooms.

That is pretty standard from what I have seen.  

• Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

From what I've seen so far, single rooms probably only highly specialized care.  This is in large acute care hospitals in Toronto.  Private room is top-up benefit that is not part of public health insurance....  I would have to ask various siblings who work in hospitals about the bed situation.

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Roommate from hell

Sounds like that poor guy is in a really bad place :(  Hope he also recovers from his suffering.

When my wife had surgery years ago, she had an ok roommate, but the person across the hall had dementia and moaned & said "Help me" for hours on end.  It was horrible and tragic.  

• Heart 1

At least you only have to put up with him a short time!

When I lived in the graduate dorm at IIT in the '70's there was a guy from Japan named Yoshi who had a roommate from Pittsburgh we nicknamed "Gross Paul."  Yoshi had to deal with him for a year. When Yoshi returned to Japan, I bet he didn't have a great report to give his people about Americans and their habits.

Every time I've visited a parent in a hospital, it's been a shared room.  Only once was it a difficult roommate, and in that instance they transferred my Mom to a private room (that was at a physical rehab hospital).

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Roommate from hell: He crapped his bed four times yesterday. He sleep talks extremely loud all night and he growls really loud in his sleep. He set the bed alarm off four times. I want out of here but I can’t.

...this would make a very impressive Yelp review.  But don't post it until you leave the hospital. :)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

The local hospital here went to single rooms, laid off chunks of staff and because of occupancy restrictions gets to turn away many medicare patients in favor of higher paying ones.  This of course was after they got bought by a giant complex of hospitals and health care with a CEO worth millions.

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We're a high acuity hospital, and the main building is older.  We'll be replacing it in 5 - 10 years.  The new tower will be all single bed rooms. 

...was this an executive decision made in response to increasing numbers of bad Yelp reviews ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I really need to apologize for judging this guy. It’s pretty hard to control what you do in your sleep. He is 82 years old and must really be loved. He has a constant stream of visitors checking up on him every day. He is in a similar situation as me. He doesn’t feel well and wants to get out of here as bad as I do. Some of his problems were probably made worse by his lifestyle but everyone can’t be a health freak. I wasn’t feeling well, was in constant pain, and couldn’t sleep with all the noises he was making. I requested earplugs and that part quit being a problem. Again you can’t control what you do in your sleep. I’ve been talking to the guy a lot now and he is actually a pretty cool guy. His meds make him pretty forgetful.

You sir, are amazing.  

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Going from standing to sitting and vise versa is extreamly painful. Standing is moderately painful, sitting down or laying down isn’t bad. I never anticipated it would be this bad.

John, I'm unaware of what you are afflicted iwth.  If you feel like it give me a thumb nail sketch.