Do you work on your own car?

Randomguy

The car wash thread made me think about this.

I have done some mechanical stuff when I had knowledgeable help, I don't know enough to do engine stuff correctly or even identify some bits and pieces.  I did my own oil/filter changes for a few years,

I did a bunch of changing other parts around, replacing door handles/lock assemblies, changing window seals/gaskets, replacing outside mirror assemblies, changing out internal cosmetic faceplates and such.  

Generally I have avoided things that can cause death if done incorrectly, or things that would be expensive as hell if I broke something.

I think I would do more work on my own if I end up with another car ever, it is nice to know you have done a bunch of stuff that would have cost a fortune and saved bunches on it.

I used to do everything.  With my new truck I could not even find the damn oil filter.  I got on the youtubes and the first directions were "drop the skid plate".  Nope.  I am out.  It is way too inexpensive to have it done for me to mess with all of that.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I changed the front calipers & discs on the manvan about 4 years ago in the grassy lot next to my FEMA trailer in Cuero, TX. That was the last work I've done.

The truck is a company vehicle, so any repairs are on their dime. I did take out the factory fog lights & install high-performance LED driving & fog light pods. Great mod.

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I used to do everything.  With my new truck I could not even find the damn oil filter.  I got on the youtubes and the first directions were "drop the skid plate".  Nope.  I am out.  It is way too inexpensive to have it done for me to mess with all of that.  

It's four bolts and a screwed up oil change will definitely ruin your day, and who's usually doing the oil change in shops, the biggest idiot in the shop.

Last vehicle I had changed at a dealership would've been my Mazda 3 I bought last spring, they completely jacked it up and it took me a week to get parts and fix their screw up.

If it's a simple bolt/unbolt job, I usually do my repairs, if it's going to be more complicated and take time, I let a professional do it because I don't have the time.

Though sometimes professionals have failed me and I've ended up stuck doing it myself anyways.

I too have lost my appetite for it.  I'll replace a battery or break out the compressor to put air in the tires and take care of things like topping off the fluids but routine work no more.  There was a time I was comfortable with every system on a carburated automobile and I even took the time to become familiar with early generation EEC equipped cars but the modern vehicle is best serviced by someone well trained in it's systems.

Perhaps if I were younger I'd take the time to join the "tuner" community and learn about hacking systems and modifying cars again but it's simply not worth it to me at 72.  I keep talking about taking my car to the drag strip and taking part in some bracket racing again but I fear that the rush would stop my heart.

• Haha 1

I still do the basic maintenance on my pickup and the Miata. I don't do much on the Mazda 6, because it's not just the skid plate, it's also a filter that requires an Allen wrench. Last time I tried, the guy before was part gorilla and I was worried of rounding the bolt or my wrench! If I factor in what my time is worth, paying someone else on that one is cheap! I'm also at the point I don't want to buy new tools that will only get used once or twice. 

I finally found a shop I trust when I needed some more advanced work done on the Miata. They aren't cheap, but they are fair and I haven't had to have the same work done twice! 

Back in the day, when the average guy with hand tools could work on his car and all he needed was a feeler guage and a timing light, yeah.  I changed plugs, oil, filters, points, condensor, did tune ups, did brake jobs, played with the carb a bit, replaced belts and hoses and installed all my own stereo equipment.   Biggest jobs I did at home was replace the axle in my Nova or replace door bushings in my El Camino.

With the advent of all the specialty tools, I seldom work on my own cars any longer, other than wash and wax and stuff like that.

I seldom do anything today unless its something minor and easily replaced.  I always keep a plug kit for tires in my car, a 12V air pump, and a set of tools in a zippered case with some plastic ties, but that's about it.

The last time I seriously worked on my car was in my 50's when I replaced the muffler and exhaust pipe on my 1997 Ford Taurus.  I had a stiff/sore neck for a couple weeks after.  Now I let the shop do it.

With storage room at a premium in my Honda Fit, this little 7"x10" case of tools has proven ideal for me:

image.png.68a147d926713f73c58d343801e3ea4b.png

• Heart 1

Nope.  Do like doing it, get ko enjoyment out of it.  Anything more than changing a tire or adding oil and washer fluid, I take it in.  I dont even change my own oil, my free time can be in short supply so is valuable to me and worth paying someone else to do it.

Now dive gear...... I service, tweak and repair all my own dive gear.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I used to do some but I have lost my appetite for it.  I have a guy who is pretty cheap and good, but lately he has become too slow, and he is far away, so I am using him less and less.  The fairly decent local shop closed so I got nothing right now.

This

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I used to do some but I have lost my appetite for it.  I have a guy who is pretty cheap and good, but lately he has become too slow, and he is far away, so I am using him less and less.  The fairly decent local shop closed so I got nothing right now.

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This

Hey @Kzoo you could supplement your lawn care income by wrenching on Ralph's hoopty?!  He already has the right mindset to fit your demographic.

• Awesome 1

For years and years.  Then we got new vehicles and I was left with just 'Elvis' the project van.  Now I'm over the thrill of fixing stuff and am finally selling it.  I will wash the other two vehicles when they need it.

• Heart 1

All the time.  I enjoy it, saves money, and I don't have to re-do some screwed up work.  Occasionally, I'll pay for a repair if I don't have time, but I hate doing that.  The computers make troubleshooting easier, not harder.  I plug my phone into the OBD port, it tells me everything about the car.  Getting ready to take the GTI off the road for a while, lots of things I want to do to it.