One hell of a one that got away

Airehead

Working on a fiddle break on that song to use with a group for fun. Anyway, got me thinking—. Did you have a good one that got away?

i had a single date with a nice southern guy my first year teaching. Shook my hand at the door. Nice guy. I missed him for awhile. 

Later in life, I figured it would never have worked. 

• Heart 1

Not really. The girls that I dated most likely wouldn't have worked out. One started talking about how great it was that some of her friends were pregnant and how nice it was that they were getting married. This was during high school. I couldn't run away fast enough from that one and was really worried the next 3 months.

After 44 years of being together, I think that WoJSTL is a keeper.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Working on a fiddle break on that song to use with a group for fun. Anyway, got me thinking—. Did you have a good one that got away?

i had a single date with a nice southern guy my first year teaching. Shook my hand at the door. Nice guy. I missed him for awhile. 

I went steady with a girl my last two years of high school. My father and her grandfather were friends and used to make toasts at a local bar to how many children we'd have.

I was a year ahead of her, went to college while she was still in high school, and as I became a hippie and she stayed fairly conservative, we grew apart and split up.

I don't think it would have worked, either.

I really only dated 4 girls more than twice and three of them asked me to marry them.  I said yes to the last one.

The girl I always thought I would marry still lives near home and still looks great.  I always thought we would end up together, but we did not.  Things may have turned out different if I had of asked her out at some point.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I was pretty serious with a girl in HS but our relationship didn’t survive my time in the Army.  She was a good girl but really I’m blessed to be with my wife.  I landed the best one and managed to keep her in the boat 32 years.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I am still here, Aire. Call me if Einstein flies the coop. 

Cheese

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

In high school, I had a crush on the young lady in my avatar.  As usual, I let things slide and I screwed it up.  Not that she would have fully reciprocated, but I think she was somewhat interested.  She was extremely intelligent and laughed at all my jokes.  I, OTOH, was a total idiot.   :(

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Airehead said:

Did you have a good one that got away?

Yes, while I was focused on another chick and didn't realize at the time how optimal this woman was (probably).  She did show some interest, even when I mostly paid attention to some girl named Patty.  

I wish I could college all over again.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I fear that @onbike1939 and I are star crossed lovers, victims of circumstance and time. :( 

It could never be Sweetpants........and deep down you must know that.

I was a free spirit and you were someone who worshipped from afar.........I was liberal with my favours believing that I should disappoint as many women as possible. I mean....how could that ever work?

• Heart 1

16 years old.  Parents friend was moving away.  She didn't want to take her car with her, she wasn't a fan of the manual transmission.  64 Impala convertible, 409 4SP, loaded to the gills, garage kept, 12,000 miles.  She offered it to me for $500, because there were some oil drops on the floor under it.  My parents wouldn't let me, I wouldn't have my license for another year, they didn't want it sitting.  I think they just didn't want me having that car when I started driving.

• Sad 3

Twice. First in high school. She was a cheerleader and homecoming queen. At first the only reason we hung out was we were among the few who ate lunch the last period. Just the way our schedules worked. I felt she was out of my league. By the time I thought I might stand a chance, she had started dating a guy. He was a good guy so I didn’t try anything. She married him. Fast forward and they split up. I was married she was a stylist and did my wife’s hair so we kept in touch. She invited us to the reception when she remarried. She wound up dancing more with me than her soon to be 2nd ex. 

She moved out of state. We stayed in touch enough that she invited us to stop for lunch on our trip last fall. After lunch we walked around their town catching up. She and I talked and WoW was visiting with her new man. There were a lot of emotions in the hug when we said goodbye. I saw a look in her eyes I had only seen once before when she was about to marry the first husband. 

Second was on the girl. I tried to go out with her several times. She was in the same group of friends where I met WoW. She had her eyes on a rock and roll bad boy type. By the time she was over him, I had married WoW. WoW was almost due with our first child at her company Christmas party. WoW and I would dance the slow dances. Girl that I had liked asked me to dance several times. I can even tell you the song where I saw she regretted not giving me a chance. She married a Navy guy. Last saw her over 30 years ago when she was back in town to visit family. She was walking out of a grocery store as I was walking in. We talked on the sidewalk for a long time before I cut it off. Her name was generic enough I will never find her on social media. Just hope she is happy and well. 

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, 12string said:

her, she wasn't a fan of the manual transmission.  64 Impala convertible, 409 4SP, loaded to the gills, garage kept, 12,000 miles.  She offered it to me for $500, because there were some oil drops on the floor under it.

Giddy up giddy up 409, that was a unique engine 

• Heart 1

I had a girlfriend who lived just outside Youngstown. We were together whenever I could scrape up enough gas money for my 55 Chevy to go see her. At least twice a week from 1965 thru 1967. We always assumed we would get married. We talked a little bit about if we should try dating others because neither of us had ever dated anyone else.

There were some hot local girls that were always trying to flirt with me. We tried it for awhile. It didn’t work out for me and she got knocked up by some jerky college guy. They got married for about a year. After college she married someone else and they moved to China. I never saw her again but I thought of her a lot.

I'm glad we didn’t get married because my wife is my true soul mate. I sometimes wonder what if?

• Heart 2

Women have been responsible for making my whole life miserable......what with their uncontrollable urges and all.

Start's off well enough, reading poetry together and talking about our aspirations but sooner or later they become physical and go all touchy feely until ultimately they want to do the two-back thing and I break it off. I mean why spoil a perfectly good relationship by doing this........it's frustrating and it's followed me all through life. Even now, at this advanced age, I don't feel safe even with the ones who use walking aids........

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1