Can you all help? (jacked up bike related)

Parr8hed

So we were camping.  A buddy borrowed my bike while we were camping to ride up the the gatehouse.  He snapped the derailleur hanger.  Fortunately he didn't snap any axles but the derailleur cage got bent.  So I put it all back together and stuck in on the bike rack.  Well I guess the back skewer was not as tight as it should be and the rear wheel fell off on the way home. 

I REALLY like this bike.  It's the 29er Nashbar frame.   I am really distraught about it.  I had toyed with the notion of making it a single speed before this happened.  I emailed Nashbar and they don't have any hangers in stock.  They are not sure when they will get any in. 

So what are my choices here?  Obviously I need a new rear wheel.  It has vertical dropouts.  I would need to buy a new derailleur or just SS it.  I cannot SS a vertical dropout frame without a derailleur hanger to mount the tensioner, right?

Can you all share any insight?

What does your LBS have to say about it? My guy can fix anything quick and easy and doesn’t make you feel like a dummy for not figuring it out yourself. You should get a different rack where your bikes rest on their wheels, that way they can’t fall off.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Can you all share any insight?

Very little except that 1) the DR hanger may be a "generic" sort of one where Nashbar didn't come up with their own "specific to just this bike" hanger, so you may find a replacement via the Google;; and 2) it might be possible to get a 3D scan of the piece and then have a metal shop cut you a new one.

image.thumb.png.7ab97a9166ba7a7adbbc4259919d5ff3.png

image.thumb.png.e816b0aaf12964b7c5061fe55a72157e.png

If this 398 works, I do recommend the "by two" option. :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Thanks y'all.  I will check into this. 

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

What does your LBS have to say about it? My guy can fix anything quick and easy and doesn’t make you feel like a dummy for not figuring it out yourself. You should get a different rack where your bikes rest on their wheels, that way they can’t fall off.

there is a guy local that I may message today.  I do have a rack that allows the wheels to sit on it, but I use it for the wife's car and my truck.  It's way to heavy of a rack to put on the back of the camper.  Those bumpers are notorious for falling off.  Obviously I need to do something different. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

there is a guy local that I may message today.  I do have a rack that allows the wheels to sit on it, but I use it for the wife's car and my truck.  It's way to heavy of a rack to put on the back of the camper.  Those bumpers are notorious for falling off.  Obviously I need to do something different. 

Bungee cords, meet wheels.

• Heart 1

image.png.3d0dbdaaf20a24fcbdc213ac7bede749.png

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Oh boy - this looks the same as the "398" at the other place!  But, it also claims it works with a Nashbar 29" MTB (Alloy 29er MTB Frame (NB-29F) - All).  They are in Colorado, so might have an English speaker answer the phone, which may help.

image.thumb.png.8960e1f3feb957bf38522736a078b4d8.png

That looks right.  I will have to pull the thing off the bike and the derailleur this afternoon and see what it look like pieced together. 

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Oh boy - this looks the same as the "398" at the other place!  But, it also claims it works with a Nashbar 29" MTB (Alloy 29er MTB Frame (NB-29F) - All).  They are in Colorado, so might have an English speaker answer the phone, which may help.

image.thumb.png.8960e1f3feb957bf38522736a078b4d8.png

What about a wheel?  I don't speak mountain bike very well.  It's awfully hard to shop for a bike that you really like but have very little money in.   Almost any wheel I get is going to be more expensive that what I paid for the whole bike. 

That looks right.  I will have to pull the thing off the bike and the derailleur this afternoon and see what it look like pieced together.  

Ad then the "to SS or not to SS" decision.  If it is a camping bike, a SS will be nice and low maintenance.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Ad then the "to SS or not to SS" decision.  If it is a camping bike, a SS will be nice and low maintenance.

This will be a trail bike to ride with G on trails in addition to a camping bike.  I like the simplicity of SS.  I like gears to climb hills.  I am really torn on this one. 

Just now, Parr8hed said:

What about a wheel?  I don't speak mountain bike very well.  It's awfully hard to shop for a bike that you really like but have very little money in.   Almost any wheel I get is going to be more expensive that what I paid for the whole bike.  

So, the wheel is GONE.  No chance of finding it or, if you did, it's destroyed?

Yep - I speak no MTB wheel, but I assume some nutters here do like @Dirtyhip or @ChrisL and any of the bike shop folks. Looks like $200-300 is the low end :(

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

This will be a trail bike to ride with G on trails in addition to a camping bike.  I like the simplicity of SS.  I like gears to climb hills.  I am really torn on this one. 

If you do the conversion yourself, I bet you can do the re-conversion back if need be.  I don't think you would permanently "ruin" the bike going to SS. Just save the parts in a box somewhere.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So, the wheel is GONE.  No chance of finding it or, if you did, it's destroyed?

Yep - I speak no MTB wheel, but I assume some nutters here do like @Dirtyhip or @ChrisL and any of the bike shop folks. Looks like $200-300 is the low end :(

Yes gone as in fell off the bike behind the camper.  Obviously I didn't see it.  It was a nice wheel too.  ?

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I love my SS on trails, that said, you have to know the trails you are riding to setup your gear choice ahead of time.  I've got a tool box full of gear combinations for my SS MTB.  So while a SS is pure bliss and simplicity out on the trails, getting it that way is far from simple.

Yes gone as in fell off the bike behind the camper.  Obviously I didn't see it.  It was a nice wheel too.  ?

Sun Rhyno Lite.

Depends on the quality of wheel, but this is going to cost him.  Want a decent alloy rim, you are looking at least 2-3 hundo.

Actually, this should cost Parrot's "friend."  If I did that to someone's bike, I would repair it like new, or buy him  new bike. 

...and this is why no one, and I mean no one rides my bikes.  If people want to ride a bike, they can buy one.  I will even help them shop.  

One of my favorite comments working at the LBS was, "I broke my hanger and need a new one.  Then they say … "It's just a standard one."  LMFAO!!!!!  I would take them near my bench and show them the gigantic hanger poster we had.  There are no standards in bicycling.

4 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

First and foremost DON'T LET SOME JACKHOLE RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!!!!

Although..I am not a big fan..via your bike shop check QBP....I am not 100% but I think you gotta order thru a shop..at least they use to.

You don't have to order anything from a shop.  Buy them as complete.

You might have to true them.  Otherwise, easy swap.

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

HA! I forgot about that.  Damn!

on an positive note, he has a spare cassette now.  The cassette has some life in it.  

My man can build wheels.  I am so thankful for his mechanic abilities.  <===this is what the kids are calling it these days.

57 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Then set aside another $100 for cassette, tire & tube.... 

Man that sucks. It’s really heartbreaking when a new bike (even new to you) gets messed up. 

Don't forget brake rotor.  The good thing is that the tire was toast.  I was going to have to replace it anyways. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Depends on the quality of wheel, but this is going to cost him.  Want a decent alloy rim, you are looking at least 2-3 hundo.

Actually, this should cost Parrot's "friend."  If I did that to someone's bike, I would repair it like new, or buy him  new bike. 

...and this is why no one, and I mean no one rides my bikes.  If people want to ride a bike, they can buy one.  I will even help them shop.  

One of my favorite comments working at the LBS was, "I broke my hanger and need a new one.  Then they say … "It's just a standard one."  LMFAO!!!!!  I would take them near my bench and show them the gigantic hanger poster we had.  There are no standards in bicycling.

Won't cost him.  I like to let people ride my bikes.  This buddy keeps talking about getting a bike to ride.  I like people to feel what  quality bike feels like.  Even if it's an older used bike, it's a mile better than anything they could buy at target.  The chances of him riding 1.5 miles on the road in a campground and breaking something on my bike are slim.  If that hanger was jacked, it was going to break on me trail riding anyways.  I am not about to hold him responsible for that.  He of course offered to pay to have it fixed.  I had to try hard not to show how upset it made me. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Won't cost him.  I like to let people ride my bikes.  This buddy keeps talking about getting a bike to ride.  I like people to feel what  quality bike feels like.  Even if it's an older used bike, it's a mile better than anything they could buy at target.  The chances of him riding 1.5 miles on the road in a campground and breaking something on my bike are slim.  If that hanger was jacked, it was going to break on me trail riding anyways.  I am not about to hold him responsible for that.  He of course offered to pay to have it fixed.  I had to try hard not to show how upset it made me. 

I thought he may have crashed on it.  My hangers have never broken JRA.  It just snapped under pressure?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I cannot SS a vertical dropout frame without a derailleur hanger to mount the tensioner, right?

...if you look online, I think you can still buy chain tensioners that attach to the stay.

They make them targeted at the people doing motorized conversions, but they're fugly as hell.  I've not used one, but I've seen them around and they seem to work for a while. If there's a bike co-op or somebody who does old bikes near you, they usually have a collection of old used hangers from various bikes that had replaceable ones.

If you want to keep running it as a multispeed, you might have some luck custom grinding some old one to fit the recesses in your Nashbar frame.  Take along the broken parts of the old one so you can match them against the prospective donor.

If the frame is aluminum, don't let anyone near it with a TIG or MIG welder. However, I would probably let someone I knew was pretty good with a TIG welder go at the two broken pieces of the hanger, hoping to end up with one piece that worked again.......more expensive than buying a new one, but sometimes you just have to try a little creative investment.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

They make bumper brace kits for campers.  My sister current boyfriend used to work as a plasma cutter and may still have the templates.

https://www.ebay.com/i/302939143000?chn=ps

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

52 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I thought he may have crashed on it.  My hangers have never broken JRA.  It just snapped under pressure?

Nope, no crashes.  He seriously just went down the road to the gatehouse.  Less than 1 mile, one way.  He's a stand up dude, good buddy.  Would have told me if he was jacking around on it.  It's quite possible that I could have broken the hanger while riding last week and it just now snapped. 

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Nope, no crashes.  He seriously just went down the road to the gatehouse.  Less than 1 mile, one way.  He's a stand up dude, good buddy.  Would have told me if he was jacking around on it.  It's quite possible that I could have broken the hanger while riding last week and it just now snapped. 

Or got damaged in transit.

• Heart 1

After working in a shop, as some of the others here will attest, at LEAST half of all repair incidences occur from lending a bike out.   Hard never/no to lending a bike out to anyone other than someone who is an extremely experienced rider who also works on his own bike whenever possible.  Those people can be trusted. 

25 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Hmm, big guys do stress drive train components, but hangers generally fail after damage.  You could have banged it racking it or storing in the garage, or during a previous crash.  

Another here that would pretty much guarantee that you have a generic hangar. 

If you can't find the proper hanger, Problem Solvers should make something that will work until you can get a proper one. 

SS is awesome, but won't save you much money since the wheel, cassette, tire is where you will spend your money. You would need a hanger, tensioner, cog, and possibly a chainring depending on what it has up front.  

The new derailleur hanger is here.  It is much better than the one that broked.  A buddy gave me an old wheel.  I need to put the new hanger on tonight and see if I can bend around the cage to get it right again.  If not I have a couple other derailleurs that I can slap on there.  Hope to get it up and running this week.  

• Heart 2