Mothers Day plans?

late

Not actually mother’s day plans but I plan to take my wife to visit her mom tomorrow morning when I have to go for my surgery follow up. She hasn’t seen her mom since January. It will be a lot of effort on my part but worth it. I’ll have to park at her mom’s assisted living center and go in and borrow her mom’s wheel chair to get my wife back to her mom’s room. Then drive to my appointment a short distance away. Afterwards I’ll reverse procedure to get my wife back home. My wife hasn’t been out of the house for anything but hospital/doctor appointments since January.

• Heart 1

We have reservations at this sort of dated restaurant that looks like it came out of the 70's, but the food is delicious and the place is roomy (and doesn't have stairs), so MomKirby can navigate it relatively easily.

Just now, Kirby said:

We have reservations at this sort of dated restaurant that looks like it came out of the 70's, but the food is delicious and the place is roomy (and doesn't have stairs), so MomKirby can navigate it relatively easily.

Gordon Ramsey would GO NUTS!!!!  Or maybe the Restaurant Rescue person.  Someone advocates redoing the interior fairly often - more often than per decade even - so that 40+yr old "charm" ain't charming to anyone. :D

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Gordon Ramsey would GO NUTS!!!!  Or maybe the Restaurant Rescue person.  Someone advocates redoing the interior fairly often - more often than per decade even - so that 40+yr old "charm" ain't charming to anyone. :D

Can't stand shows like that...

I also don't care what the place looks like. I had a fabulous meal in a diner once, after a hike. Fresh lake salmon, potatoes with dill and butter, I forget the veggie. It was delish. The place looked disgusting.

1 minute ago, late said:

Can't stand shows like that...

I also don't care what the place looks like. I had a fabulous meal in a diner once, after a hike. Fresh lake salmon, potatoes with dill and butter, I forget the veggie. It was delish. The place looked disgusting.

Those shows are generally formulaic and staged drama crap, so you are wise to not like them.

On the flip side, the one thing you do learn is that too many of them do NOT PROPERLY have cleaning standards - especially in the kitchen.  Frightful.  Again, sort of played up for the drama, but not fully. Read the county reports on restaurant inspections and you will be disgusted at some of the issues (often repeating).

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Those shows are generally formulaic and staged drama crap, so you are wise to not like them.

On the flip side, the one thing you do learn is that too many of them do NOT PROPERLY have cleaning standards - especially in the kitchen.  Frightful.  Again, sort of played up for the drama, but not fully. Read the county reports on restaurant inspections and you will be disgusted at some of the issues (often repeating).

We have a ton of restaurants here, because tourists.

But most depend on the locals to stay open in the off season. So if they get a rep, they are toast.

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Gordon Ramsey doesn't know MomKirby. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Kirby said:

Gordon Ramsey doesn't know MomKirby. 

It is fun to watch Gordon testing food when he doesn’t like it. :D  I have emulated that in spirit a few times!

One thing I really agree with is you should have a drink in your hand within a few minutes of being seated. Nothing worse than sitting down and being ignored. 

The main thing aboot restaurant makeovers is a moldy or otherwise dank smell, usually from ancient carpet.  

There are quite a few restaurants I remember where the mold smell was quite strong. One is a cute little country diner that we would otherwise patronize, but no way with that smell. Another is next to the county courthouse and it is amazingly still quite popular. It’s carpet is absolutely ancient, filthy, and disgusting and the walls are full of bookcases full of books that are covered In dust. Yuk!  The worst one is long ago closed and razed, thank goodness!  And it is true, watching those shows it is terrifying seeing some of the kitchens. 

I have made reservations for my two brothers ( both younger than I), our wives and Mom at one of her favorite restaurants,

One of my brothers may or may not show because his wife is currently undergoing chemotherapy, so it will depend on what kind of day she is having.

Mom will be 87 this year, but she is still full of life.

I

• Heart 1

Mom has been gone for 5 years now and kids are old enough to take care of WOChrisL so I’m off the hook.  I’ll keep the day open for whatever they plan to do.  

We usually avoid restaurants tho as they are a mad house on Mother’s Day.

My mom is doing her first solo road trip since Dad died. She is going to the Black Hills to visit some of her sisters. She won’t be back until next week. 

MIL’s birthday is today. Taking her to Perkins (her choice) for dinner tonight so we should be off the hook for her. 

I will probably do something nice with WoW since all the kids live out of town. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Mom has been gone for 5 years now and kids are old enough to take care of WOChrisL so I’m off the hook.  I’ll keep the day open for whatever they plan to do.  

We usually avoid restaurants tho as they are a mad house on Mother’s Day.

A good chance for you to spoil the MiL!!!!!