Since we haven't had an new e-bike thread yet today I thought I'd post a James thread

Kzoo

Wait.  How far do they record ahead?  And how close are we to the summer break?  Are we going to be in suspended animation all summer?  Oh mighty rr, wizard of jeopardy, do you have some answers for us?

And if by some act of dog his run was ended, how the flock will they keep that under wraps all summer?

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

And if by some act of dog his run was ended, how the flock will they keep that under wraps all summer?

I've wondered about this too.  Even if it isn't all summer, we know they tape a bunch of shows at once and play them back later.  I think they tape 5 shows a day, a couple of days at a time (not sure for how many days).  Whatever the schedule, it would seem to be a monumental task to keep the results quiet in this case.  They could somehow bribe the players to keep quiet, I suppose, but what about the studio audiences?  It would seem that if James loses, someone in that audience is likely to blab about it.  

On a daily basis of Jeopardy with various people winning and losing, blabbing is no big deal.  But when James loses, it's going to be a huge deal.  All the news media will be sniffing around, doing their best to break the "news".  

• Awesome 1

BTW, the way Alex has talked so glowingly and with so much admiration of James in recent interviews, I am led to the conclusion that James will rival Ken's record, maybe even surpass it.  Alex has mentioned the record more than once.  I don't think he would do that if he knew that James had already lost in an upcoming episode.  

So I believe James will continue to win for sometime ahead, not only because he is a trivia god, but also because of Alex's tell.   :)  

Interesting stuff from Ken Jennings dad...

The lag between recording and airing the shows varies a little as it depends on the summer re-run break, tournaments, and other factors. Generally the delay is around three months — if I recall correctly. Shows are generally recorded two days a week and only every other week. The ones I have attended were on Tuesday and Wednesday with five shows (a full week) being recorded each day.....

Here are some amusing examples of how the concentrated recording and delayed airing create strange situations:

(1) When my son got the call to be on Jeopardy! he prepared as best he could but later confided that his only goal was not to have a negative score when he got to Final Jeopardy! He was in a group of contestants on a Tuesday morning and came up for the third game being recorded that day. Just twenty-eight hours later — at the end of the next day’s session — he was already the all-time Jeopardy! champion having won a total of eight games. He flew home for at two week hiatus. And didn’t tell us a thing (contestants are under strong confidentiality obligation). Two weeks later he went back. This went on an on. I think people at his work began to get suspicious when he kept taking time off. “How many grandmothers do you have? That’s five funerals in two months?”

(2) By the time his first game aired he had already won 48 games. This means that some contestants arriving for their own games, who had never heard of him and did not know that Jeopardy! was in the middle of a historic run were introduced to the returning champion with something like: “We’d like you to meet Ken, our returning champion who has won (13 or 23 or 33 or 43) games. Can you imagine the “deafening silence” in the green room?

(3) Ken was the only contestant at that time (and probably still is) who was still playing at the time his first game aird. Before Season 20 ended in June, the first few weeks of Season 21, to be aired the following September, had already been recorded. Ken had long ago run out of cute little stories to tell during the interview and he and Alex Trebek were both ad libbing and having some fun with it. So, in May or June when they were recording the first show scheduled to be aired the next September, during the little interview, Alex Trebek asked Ken, “So, what did you do over the summer?”

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

BTW, the way Alex has talked so glowingly and with so much admiration of James in recent interviews, I am led to the conclusion that James will rival Ken's record, maybe even surpass it.  Alex has mentioned the record more than once.  I don't think he would do that if he knew that James had already lost in an upcoming episode.  

So I believe James will continue to win for sometime ahead, not only because he is a trivia god, but also because of Alex's tell.   :)  

Huh?  Doesn’t Alex experience the shows sequentially in order just like we do, so during any recording he doesn’t know the future?  He Shirley knows “the future” in the gap between recording and airing, but not during any given recording. 

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Huh?  Doesn’t Alex experience the shows sequentially in order just like we do, so during any recording he doesn’t know the future?  He Shirley knows “the future” in the gap between recording and airing, but not during any given recording. 

I was referring to his recent interviews which just occurred.  He knows the outcome from now until the next season starts.

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I was referring to his recent interviews which just occurred.  He knows the outcome from now until the next season starts.

Ok, interesting. But his achievements to date are quite impressive enough on their own to elicit the rave reviews he is getting.

Alex has to be a good poker player in his interviiews!

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

But his achievements to date are quite impressive enough on their own to elicit the rave reviews he is getting.

Not my meaning to disparage James' efforts.  I just meant that I feel sure James will continue to win for some time to come, partly based on the way Alex, who knows the future, is talking.

I seem to be having a communication problem today.   :(  

Just now, Road Runner said:

Not my meaning to disparage James' efforts.  I just meant that I feel sure James will continue to win for some time to come, partly based on the way Alex, who knows the future, is talking.

I seem to be having a communication problem today.   :(  

Nah. I was just saying that Alex has to be a better bluffer than that!