How well do you scissor?

Road Runner

For my entire life, which is pretty long, I have never been able to scissor with my left hand.  This is very annoying at times.  If I ever lose the use of my right hand, I will not be able to scissor at all!

Is it just me?  Are you able to scissor with both hands?   :scratchhead:

• Sad 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

For my entire life, which is pretty long, I have never been able to scissor with my left hand.  This is very annoying at times.  If I ever lose the use of my right hand, I will not be able to scissor at all!

I am not an ambiscissorer either.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

If you are using your hand(s) to scissor, you're doing it wrong.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

There are scissors made for us lefties. I use to keep a pair on my desk and really enjoyed watching righties try to use them. I'd often tell them something like "now you see the crap lefties have to deal with".

13 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

There are scissors made for us lefties. I use to keep a pair on my desk and really enjoyed watching righties try to use them. I'd often tell them something like "now you see the crap lefties have to deal with".

I use a lot of scissors that don't seem to be left or right handed.  It's odd that it even is a thing (in normal "cheap" scissors).  I used to hate, in elementary school art class, having to find the random lefty pair of scissors - usually had a different color grip.  And those scissors back then were cheap ass scissors, and if you got the wrong handed  pair, they actually hurt to use.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I use a lot of scissors that don't seem to be left or right handed.  It's odd that it even is a thing (in normal "cheap" scissors).  I used to hate, in elementary school art class, having to find the random lefty pair of scissors - usually had a different color grip.  And those scissors back then were cheap ass scissors, and if you got the wrong handed  pair, they actually hurt to use.

It's more than just the handles. On right-handed scissors, the bottom blade is on the left. The bottom blade is on the right for left-handed scissors. It makes it easier to see where you are cutting.

21 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

It's more than just the handles. On right-handed scissors, the bottom blade is on the left. The bottom blade is on the right for left-handed scissors. It makes it easier to see where you are cutting.

Never noticed the difference.  Weird, eh?  I seem to be fine using whatever is handy, but definitely think lefties, in general, are about 10%-20% more capable at everything than right handed folks.

• Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Never noticed the difference.  Weird, eh?  I seem to be fine using whatever is handy, but definitely think lefties, in general, are about 10%-20% more capable at everything than right handed folks.

That's my experience. When I was training aircraft mechanics there was one job that had to be done left handed on one side of the aircraft and right handed on the other. Of course I'd put the students on the side that was more difficult for them. The lefties would do OK. The right handers were a different story. It was comical some of the contortions they would attempt to just use their right hand. Some would eventually switch to their left hand, but others I had to tell them to do it. They'd look at me like I was crazy to suggest it.

• Awesome 1

Being left handed, I've learned that when you use the usual right-handed scissors you often have to push sideways, in opposite directions, a little with your thump and fingers to keep the the two blades rubbing against each other.  Otherwise the natural motion causes them to move ever so slightly apart.

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Do you use appropriately handed scissors?