Bread

Parsnip Totin Jack

I'm making some when I get home.  I made the dough last night with three cups water, a tablespoon yeast, a tablespoon salt and six and a half cups flour.  After rising I put it in the fridge to chill overnight.  When I get home I'll hack off a melon size piece and shape into a round shape.  Bake at 450 with some hot water for steam so the crust is crusty.

I'm making some when I get home.  I made the dough last night with three cups water, a tablespoon yeast, a tablespoon salt and six and a half cups flour.  After rising I put it in the fridge to chill overnight.  When I get home I'll hack off a melon size piece and shape into a round shape.  Bake at 450 with some hot water for steam so the crust is crusty.

Then what do you do with it?

I haven't decided.  Option one is to slice it thickly and slather it with butter before eating it.  Option two is to rip off hunks with my hands, slather it in butter and eat it.   What do you recommend?

Both are good.  Can you slather it in butter and then dip it into marinara sauce?

you don't need the steam. That works, but you can also just take water in your hand and rub the outside of the dough. Just don't go nuts. Just wet hands is all you need

what's happening either way is that the gluten stands at the crust are bound to each other by the water, so the crust gets hard and crisp

I like to bake my dough in a Le Crueset on very hot.  I cover for half of the bake time and open it for the rest of the time.  The crust it creates is amazing.  I think it creates a steam oven in that dutch oven.  The crust comes out so crispy.

• Heart 1

I don't like crispy crust.  When I bake bread I allow it to cool a bit out of the oven and then before it cools all the way to room temp I put in a plastic bag.  The moisture coming out of the loaf softens the crust and it will stay that was a long as it's stored properly.