A new arrival at our house last night.

sheep_herder

24 minutes ago, smudge said:

She'll be right in her element at your place! How did she come to living with you?

This is a very well trained border collie with some herding experience. She has great herding instincts. Like all border collies she thrives with a job to do, even if it just accompanying her people on a walk. She is friendly and very intelligent, and loves to do tricks. She has some agility training as well. She is always delighted to learn new skills. She is house broken, and was raised inside, but has lived outside mostly. She has helped raise two other puppies we have gotten in the past and has been very patient with them. We are re-homing her due to planning to sell our mini-ranch and refocusing our lives on other pursuits. In sum, she is a very sweet, obedient and bright border collie who would make a great addition as a working dog on a farm or ranch, and would also be a loving, patient and attentive companion animal in an active family.

We rescued her from western Montana. My wife said it was meant to be, as that was the first time she looked at that rescue site, and there was only one dog available in Montana.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

would also be a loving, patient and attentive companion animal in an active family. 

They are GREAT dogs for active people.  Horrible for inactive people. My sisters has had two - one who passed a few years ago and another that replaced him - and they have shown that they love exercise and are very good dogs (smart, friendly, loyal, etc.)  Funny thing about her first one (Zeke - who is dearly missed) is that he HATED sheep.  HILARIOUS.  Not sure why, but if he saw a sheep, he headed the other direction. Luckily, he wasn't a working dog, but rather a running partner.

Zeke was GREAT, so I have high hopes for Shadi!

IMG_1082.jpg.5fadc9de42e23e470de381f37b2e9223.jpgIMG_0020.thumb.jpg.c7e7e99aaf027aeeecd383abfa55f12a.jpg

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

This is a very well trained border collie with some herding experience. She has great herding instincts. Like all border collies she thrives with a job to do, even if it just accompanying her people on a walk. She is friendly and very intelligent, and loves to do tricks. She has some agility training as well. She is always delighted to learn new skills. She is house broken, and was raised inside, but has lived outside mostly. She has helped raise two other puppies we have gotten in the past and has been very patient with them. We are re-homing her due to planning to sell our mini-ranch and refocusing our lives on other pursuits. In sum, she is a very sweet, obedient and bright border collie who would make a great addition as a working dog on a farm or ranch, and would also be a loving, patient and attentive companion animal in an active family.

We rescued her from western Montana. My wife said it was meant to be, as that was the first time she looked at that rescue site, and there was only one dog available in Montana.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're not going to be (a) sheep herder??

Thursday was a big day for Shadi.  She met all three dogs, and things went well.  My wife took Shadi and Lad (Border collie) on a morning walk together, and I took Shadi and Duke (Corgi) and Tag (Kelpie) on a walk this afternoon.  After the morning walk Shadi came into the house for a while, and ate some ham scraps.  She stayed for a bit and then went back to her kennel.  We have had her on a long lead, but have walked her off lead in the driveway area, and she has done well, coming when we call and going to the kennel when we are done. During the outings, she has taken to sitting outside the fence separating her from the goats and quietly watching.  She has given the 'eye' to some in the driveway to the point that they were uncomfortable enough to walk away.  She also sat beside the fence along the road and watched the bulls across the street for a while this afternoon.  That was the first time she had paid attention to the bulls. I took her on a walk about 3:30am this morning, and she seemed to enjoy the outing.  Tag and Duke had been out earlier. She is adjusting to her move.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

What a great looking dog. I've watched documentary of sheep-herding dogs and they are clearly smart and perfectly suited to it.

Dogs are fast learners.  Jake used to not realize there were deer in the woods we often walk.  Then he wanted to chase them and I had to pull back on the leash for all I was worth, finishing each walk with sore calves.  Now Jake usually sees the deer before I do and just stops and points, even though he's a Golden Doodle.  He also recognizes by how I hold the leash if he's allow to stop and share a sniff with dogs on leashes we pass.  Smart dog.

9 hours ago, Airehead said:

Is she continuing to do well?

Yes, but she definitely wants to be the boss.  She went with Duke, Tag, and I to do chores behind the barn, where we moved some hay and fed the horses.  She ran around a bit, but then was happy to just sit and watch the animals.  A time or two, she was surrounded by lambs in the dry lot, but kept her cool and finally walked away.  They know they can come and snuggle and play with Duke, so, in their minds, any dog is fair game.  She made the circle and came through the buck pen and back into the barn and out the door to  the back yard.  I think she is doing well and is adjusting. Tomorrow, I'll split the outdoor kennel, so all three can have more time outdoors.  I have several panels that I can use to enlarge the kennel, but that will happen on another day.

• Heart 2